shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash A Cut Above Girdle Width

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a medium girdle is preferred why do the Whiteflash A Cut Above diamonds mostly have thin girdles with a lot of them starting at 0.7%? As these are Superideal Cuts why are they so thin and why can they not be medium for this status of cut?

JohnWild

Rough_Rock
I've been curious about the same thing

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Are you referring to WhiteFlash's new cut? If so, I'm presuming that to get the all-red FS or IS image you need to keep the girdle leakage to a minimum.

I'll also throw in a guess that their cutters have figured out a way to hide the girdle leakage by cutting the facets into the girdle "just so" and that "just so" yields a GIA "thin" grade.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes it is part of the special leakage stopping requirement.

The whole girdle is not thin though, only in some places, in other non measured areas the girdle is more what you would expect on a medium girdle.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
'''''If a medium girdle is preferred'''''

Not So! According to the AGS Diamond Grading Standards... a Thin, Medium or Slightly Thick girdle are "preferred" and any of the three are considered Ideal.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Diamondbob, I think that possibly this flurry of medium girdle concerns is due to the cut parameters that were posted for a 1A cut on David Atlas' site. Or I could be wrong in my assumption!
10.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
QUOTE "Girdle thickness should ideally be between thin, medium and slightly thick. There is almost always some variation in girdle thickness around a stone. There are often four small, thin areas reflecting the original shape of the octahedral rough diamond crystal. These thin areas should not be set in a claw setting in an exposed position because they are also cleavage directions. If a diamond is struck in these directions on extremely thin to thin girdles they can and will chip."

The above is quoted from the tutorial on this site. I have also read on the forums before that a 'medium girdle is preferred', the book by Fred Cuellar also recommends this (I know some do not agree with his recommendations). I have read Dave Atlas's grade parameters but did not take it from there as I have not really studied them yet. I have also read that GIA grades are different from AGS and 0.7% is thin by AGS standards but is very thin by GIA standards.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA have a sliding scale based almost on millimeters rather than %.
It makes some sense. A .50ct diamond with a 2% girdle is 0.1mm.
A 10ct 14mm diamond could happily get by with a 0.1mm girdle, where as GIA would call that 2.8mm girdle very thick 9I think - did not look it up though).

djgaloot

Rough_Rock
What is the difference between a Whiteflash new cut and old cut? can you visibly see a difference?
thanks,
dave

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Yes you can visually see a difference between the 2 cuts. One is much like the description of 8*'s in performance. Big, bold flashes of light and color. The other cut is more subtle, yet very sparkly with flashes of color and light. I previewed 2 diamonds from White Flash. One was their Conventional (older) cut and the other was a New style ACA. Both are gorgeous. Just depends on your personal preference.
love.gif

I don't know what the cut difference is. Something to do with eliminating light leakage.

Girdle thickness quoted on a WF ACA Cert is an average thickness, from the peaks to the valleys of the facets.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
How do you differentiate these 2 different cuts from the website? Do they have a special search or a special note indicating the new cut?

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dave:

We prefer to call the 2 cuts the "classic" A CUT ABOVE and the "new line" A CUT ABOVE. The main difference is that there is even less light leakage in the new line. Some have said that there is more white light in the new line. A CUT ABOVE continues to cut both "models".

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Brian the cutter seems to have a phillosphical distaste for giving the "new line" a marketing name.
It seems he does not want to suggest it is in anyway better than the "old line" - just different!

What do you all think folks - Lets get the stoggy old bugger to give it a name.
How about if the winning person with the winning name gets a free 1ct D Flawless Ideal-Cut (cubic zirconia he he).

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Garry!!

Causing trouble huh???
wink2.gif

Looking forward to seeing you in Vegas.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

djgaloot

Rough_Rock
Lesley,

How does this affect "matching" stones? Say, for instance, I wanted five stones
2.gif
that were to sit side by side. Should they all be the same style cut
confused.gif

thanks,
dave

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dave:

Not necessarily. Both lines are A CUT ABOVE's and a combo of five diamonds of either line will look stunning!

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although there is no name for the new version A Cut Above is it marked on website differently say if you were going to select and buy one of the stones on the website or do you need to contact Whiteflash by e-mail to ask which version you are looking at?

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pyramid:

Right now there is no differentiation on the website. You will need to either call in or e-mail.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Well, Lesley, I got the "C" part right. Classic/Conventional. I was close. And, Thank You sooooo very much again, for a wonderful diamond buying experience!
9.gif

Dave~
Lesley is absolutely correct. Either Classic, New Line, or a combination of the 2 would make for an absolutely stunning 5 stone ring!
love.gif
I can just see it now......
12.gif

djgaloot

Rough_Rock
pq,
thanks for the encouragement. I am anxious to see everything come together but it will be another month before the setting is completed. Should see the diamonds in a week
appl.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I am sure this is going to be a most magnificent ring, Dave! You can't go wrong with an ACA, much less 5 of them. And a custom band for the set! You must post eye candy when it's done. You can always cheat like I did and get the jeweler to take pics for you!
16.gif

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
djgaloot:

UPDATE!!!

If you click on the details of any of the A CUT ABOVE diamonds, if you see a dark red idealscope image (see below), the diamond is a new line ACA. If there is no idealscope image it is a classic line ACA. However, as is always the case with an ever changing database, there are a few brand new ACA's (new line)on the way back from the AGS that have been entered into the database but that have not had the images loaded yet.

Hope that helps!

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

di_AGS-3489901.jpg

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
New line or classic - whatever it be
They sure do look IDEAL to me
The hearts and arrows are there to view
And I would love to own a few!!!
love.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results