shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash 6 prong knife edge - help finalize customizations

lavalle218

Rough_Rock
Now that I’ve narrowed down my stone choice (2.96 aca, I/vs2 on hold), hoping to get help on the setting. I originally wanted something with diamonds around the band but I feel too overwhelmed with choices so thinking I’ll do classic Tiffany style and select the Whiteflash 6 prong knife edge. Saw beautiful pics from @mtran89 which were very inspiring!

My first question is how much extra does it cost (ballpark) to make customizations? I am likely going to upgrade the setting at some point so don’t want to invest much in this setting.

What I am most nervous about is my current wedding band hitting the prongs, so I would like to elevate the base a bit, and I’d like to make sure the prongs are as delicate as possible. Last modification would be to soften the knife edge a bit. Any other suggestions?

mochidiamonds

Rough_Rock
@lavalle218, here are some pics I took recently of the WF classic 6 prong knife edge. I think the knife edge is not too sharp and fine as is, but I would have them remove the other crease on the side of the shank which I marked in black. This crease gives the ring a more boxy, sharp look. Without it, I believe it will feel and look more like the Tiffany 6 prong and the Vatche U113. I believe @mtran89 had them soften/remove that crease. The other thing I noticed is the space between the head and the shank is not soldered together. There’s a space between that could catch lint or debris. The Vatche U113 is soldered together in that spot. If you would be concerned with debris catching in there or snagging, I would possibly have them solder this space together. I don’t know how much it would cost to soften or remove that crease, but if I remember correctly it’s around $100 to soften just the knife-edge. Hope this helps! 230D8CD3-8E91-4C57-BB2C-1DE3097A92A3.jpeg

Attachments

• B21C2E54-A57A-4981-8C72-B16DABEF5EDF.jpeg
    B21C2E54-A57A-4981-8C72-B16DABEF5EDF.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 36
  • E6F33CBF-87D2-497E-96CE-FDCC0E3C8F3C.jpeg
    E6F33CBF-87D2-497E-96CE-FDCC0E3C8F3C.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

lavalle218

Rough_Rock
@lavalle218, here are some pics I took recently of the WF classic 6 prong knife edge. I think the knife edge is not too sharp and fine as is, but I would have them remove the other crease on the side of the shank which I marked in black. This crease gives the ring a more boxy, sharp look. Without it, I believe it will feel and look more like the Tiffany 6 prong and the Vatche U113. I believe @mtran89 had them soften/remove that crease. The other thing I noticed is the space between the head and the shank is not soldered together. There’s a space between that could catch lint or debris. The Vatche U113 is soldered together in that spot. If you would be concerned with debris catching in there or snagging, I would possibly have them solder this space together. I don’t know how much it would cost to soften or remove that crease, but if I remember correctly it’s around $100 to soften just the knife-edge. Hope this helps! 230D8CD3-8E91-4C57-BB2C-1DE3097A92A3.jpeg

So helpful, thank you!!! I can’t help but wonder if I should just consider the U113 - seems like after a few customizations it will be similar in price. Frantically googling now! Hoping to finalize by my call with Liza tomorrow - I am sure some people find this process fun but I just find it incredibly stressful! Especially when I can’t see things in person - but I know it’s worth it for the beauty of an ACA stone!

lavalle218

Rough_Rock
Please just get the Vatche U-113. You don't tell them anything but ring size and the metal you want it made in.

Really?! That certainly feels easier! I didn’t originally want to spend the $$ because I figure I’ll change the setting but maybe I’ll get a separate 7 stone ring instead. It really is beautiful.

mochidiamonds

Rough_Rock
So helpful, thank you!!! I can’t help but wonder if I should just consider the U113 - seems like after a few customizations it will be similar in price. Frantically googling now! Hoping to finalize by my call with Liza tomorrow - I am sure some people find this process fun but I just find it incredibly stressful! Especially when I can’t see things in person - but I know it’s worth it for the beauty of an ACA stone!

@lavalle218, I had paralysis by analysis and felt so stressed from having to make the setting decision. I originally started off with wanting a setting with diamonds as well and decided to go with a solitaire. I narrowed it down to four settings: Valoria, Vatche U113, WF Classic 6 prong knife edge and WF Classic 6 prong (14k). I ended up weeding out the WF Classic 6 Prong knife edge since there were too many mods to make and at the end it might not turn out how I envisioned it to be.

This left me with choosing between the Vatche U113 and the Valoria as I wouldn't make any mods and liked them as is. But, I still chose my prong tip style, and that wasn't an easy decision either lol.

After wavering back and forth and going to all the local jewelry stores hunting for solitaires to look at, I realized I still couldn't decide and found that no one had a style similar to the Valoria, but said they could customize a ring similar to the Tiffany solitaire and one jeweler said he can copy it to a T, if I wanted so I figured if I couldn't decide I should just go with the least expensive one, the Valoria. I could have a local jeweler or David Klass customize a ring for me or if I really missed the Vatche U113, I could have IDJ order it for me when I'm in NY and have Vatche actually set the stone and I could get his prong tips. :) Part of the hesitation was not knowing if I would love the size or color of my diamond and for how long. One thing I can tell you is that after I finalized my order, I'm not frantically googling all day long and the stress has gone away. You will get there! lol

Agree with @diamondseeker2006, just get the Vatche U113 if you decide to make mods to the WF classic 6 prong knife-edge otherwise go with a 14k WF classic 6 prong for $350 and decide later (this was many PSer's recommendation for me).

Last edited:

lavalle218

Rough_Rock
@lavalle218, I had paralysis by analysis and felt so stressed from having to make the setting decision. I originally started off with wanting a setting with diamonds as well and decided to go with a solitaire. I narrowed it down to four settings: Valoria, Vatche U113, WF Classic 6 prong knife edge and WF Classic 6 prong (14k). I ended up weeding out the WF Classic 6 Prong knife edge since there were too many mods to make and at the end it might not turn out how I envisioned it to be.

This left me with choosing between the Vatche U113 and the Valoria as I wouldn't make any mods and liked them as is. But, I still chose my prong tip style, and that wasn't an easy decision either lol.

After wavering back and forth and going to all the local jewelry stores hunting for solitaires to look at, I realized I still couldn't decide and found that no one had a style similar to the Valoria, but said they could customize a ring similar to the Tiffany solitaire and one jeweler said he can copy it to a T, if I wanted so I figured if I couldn't decide I should just go with the least expensive one, the Valoria. I could have a local jeweler or David Klass customize a ring for me or if I really missed the Vatche U113, I could have IDJ order it for me when I'm in NY and have Vatche actually set the stone and I could get his prong tips. :) Part of the hesitation was not knowing if I would love the size or color of my diamond and for how long. One thing I can tell you is that after I finalized my order, I'm not frantically googling all day long and the stress has gone away. You will get there! lol

Agree with @diamondseeker2006, just get the Vatche U113 if you decide to make mods to the WF classic 6 prong knife-edge otherwise go with a 14k WF classic 6 prong for $350 and decide later (this was many PSer's recommendation for me).

YES! I am totally in the vicious cycle of analysis paralysis - I thought I finalized my selection at least twice a day for the past week and it’s always different! I appreciate hearing I am not alone!

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for just getting the U113. I have it and I just think the lines on it are very elegant looking. Mine has tab prongs (my preference) and I love the way they look.

mochidiamonds

Rough_Rock
@lavalle218 OMG, I know exactly what you are talking about!!!!! I did the same thing. I was reluctant to tell my WF rep what I decided on and wanted to change to the Vatche U113 after placing my order, but I refrained from doing that and tried not to not think about it anymore. lol She said she understands it's hard to decide on a setting without seeing and that's why she recommends the WF $350 setting.

What metal are you thinking?

Get the Vatche U113 and a 7 stone band. If you can find one like the Tiffany 7 stone Embrace (0.57 tcw), the height will fit perfectly!

Last edited:

lavalle218

Rough_Rock
@lavalle218 OMG, I know exactly what you are talking about!!!!! I did the same thing. I was reluctant to tell my WF rep what I decided on and wanted to change to the Vatche U113 after placing my order, but I refrained from doing that and tried not to not think about it anymore. lol She said she understands it's hard to decide on a setting without seeing and that's why she recommends the WF $350 setting.

What metal are you thinking?

Get the Vatche U113 and a 7 stone band. If you can find one like the Tiffany 7 stone Embrace (0.57 tcw), the height will fit perfectly!

I’m thinking 18k gold - I don’t have any particular reason other than that’s what my current ring is and I like it. I want the 7 stone but not necessarily right away - I’m actually thinking this plain setting will look nice with my current wedding band - see pic. What do you think? 10F2F936-01D2-4D29-9845-C87C6EEBD805.jpeg

mochidiamonds

Rough_Rock
@lavalle218 your current set looks lovely, I think your current wedding band will go beautifully and classic with the new solitaire!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd recommend wg for a temporary setting, but definitely get platinum for your forever setting. Here are the reasons it is better.

I agree that if this is temporary, get the vey cheapest setting they have! Don't pay for Vatche if it's short term.

lavalle218

Rough_Rock
I'd recommend wg for a temporary setting, but definitely get platinum for your forever setting. Here are the reasons it is better.

I agree that if this is temporary, get the vey cheapest setting they have! Don't pay for Vatche if it's short term.

Just when I thought I had finalized one decision, lol!!! I doubt this will be a forever setting but I’ll probably keep it for a few years before changing it (or upgrading my ACA again, lol!!!!)

Plus, think of it this way. In the chance that you end up not absolutely loving 100% of whatever setting you decide on now, you'll have another chance to nail down all the details with your forever setting. That might take off some of the pressure of trying to get it perfect right now.

mochidiamonds

Rough_Rock
Just when I thought I had finalized one decision, lol!!! I doubt this will be a forever setting but I’ll probably keep it for a few years before changing it (or upgrading my ACA again, lol!!!!)

@lavalle218, I get what you mean again! Let me know what you decide, can’t wait to see your ring!
Sounds like you are trying to make a decision on the following by tomorrow:
#1: WF Knife Edge w/mods vs Vatche U113
#2: 18k vs Platinum
#3: standard prong tips shown on WF photo vs personal request

headlight

Ideal_Rock

It's interesting... I have had a few white gold rings in the past and then a few remakes with plat and am now back at white gold and love it. I like that it is lighter in weight and I also like the high polish finish. I just didn't love the "patina" a plat ring gets. I think the quality of the mix of metals for white gold plays a big role in how it holds up. Also, how one cares for it. And definitely, as you said, if one knows that it won't be a setting they plan to wear for a number of years don't spend the extra $ on plat! Thanks for linking that article.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results