carat
color
clarity

White Sapphires for Halo?

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there,
I did a PS search and cannot find any information on White sapphires used for halo design.
I received some white sapphires as a gift (about 15-20) and i was thinking of using them to halo a gemstone.
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with using white sapphires this way? Or photo examples?

I appreciate any thoughts, knowledge, or expertise.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
White sapphires are lovely but they don’t sparkle the same way diamonds do. They have a lower refractive index ie less light dispersion. With setting gems, the actual setting cost is often more than the melee is worth, so it’s not really a $ saving to use white sapphire in lieu of diamonds.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
White sapphires are lovely but they don’t sparkle the same way diamonds do. They have a lower refractive index ie less light dispersion. With setting gems, the actual setting cost is often more than the melee is worth, so it’s not really a $ saving to use white sapphire in lieu of diamonds.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm haloing my aqua for pendant design and wasnt sure if white sappires work well or not.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen white sapphires paired with color gems in three stone rings. They start to look dull and dirty faster than than the color stone but if you are diligent about keeping them clean they look nice framing a colored stone if they are big enough

I agree with @Bron357 that due to the setting cost for small halo stones, it’s not a stretch to use diamonds

Since aqua has a lower refractive index too, I think you might be more pleased with the diamond halo. If the cost of diamonds is too much you can consider natural zircons since this is a pendant project.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen them as side stones and they look kind of dull. I wouldn’t want them.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Sungura thats a great suggestion using natural zircons. I have seen spinels and garnets used as halo stones as well.
@marcy i agree dull is not what i want.

Thanks ladies!!!:))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zircons would be lovely for a pendant halo since they would be more protected and very occasional wear.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zircon is my favorite choice for melee aside of diamond of course. However, if I had to choose, because of expense, poor quality diamonds or clean white zircon, I would choose zircon a million times over. Just beware of cloudy white zircon. It is inexpensive enough to be able to obtain nice bright sparkly stones.

I have a few halos with white zircon, but I can’t find the pictures. I think blue zircon is gorgeous as melee, and champagne or rose zircon is a great substitute for champagne diamond melee as well.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@ZestfullyBling as these white saphirrs were a gift what are you going to do with them if you don't use them in the halo ?
from what ive read and seen of white sapphires the trick is to keep them meticulously clean

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ZestfullyBling as these white saphirrs were a gift what are you going to do with them if you don't use them in the halo ?
from what ive read and seen of white sapphires the trick is to keep them meticulously clean

Great question.
I dont really want them to go to waste. I have no idea. Some kind of bracelet design maybe? :confused:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. 15 exactly. Each are about .04points (2.25mm).

I'm definitely open to suggestions:))

voce

Ideal_Rock
An eternity stacker? Executed in silver.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An argentinium silver bar blacelet with alternating yellow and white sapphires? Maybe:twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results