shape
carat
color
clarity

White gold question..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I know that white gold, after a period of time, needs to be rhodium dipped. Depending on body chemistry and such. I have had a couple WG rings that started to yellow. I have 2 ring that are WG. One is my mothers original e-ring set from maybe 40 years +/-. It still looks white as ever. And I wear a tiny band that is still white too. This was purchased about 5 years ago.

My question is how come some of my rings yellow and these two didn''t? Please help me.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
different alloys

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, would you know what alloys? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I want to know so if in the future I can get WG that doesn''t turn yellow. Thank you

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
to my knowledge, nickel is the whitest...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/3/2007 9:16:38 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
to my knowledge, nickel is the whitest...
C is right (as usuual).

In the bad old days we were allowed to use nickel white gold alloys for the bands as well as palladium pure or in alloys.
simply put - 75% gold 25% nickel = nice white and very hard to bend or dent / scratch metal that was great for bands.
The setting parts would be mae with more expensive paladium alloys that were easier to bend and set stones into - a little less white.

But 1 in 100 or 1,000 people have a reaction to nickel - usually in their pierced ears or from wide flat type necklaces.

There has been a gross over reaction to this allergy and so legislators have forced people try to make ''whitish'' alloys and use too little paladium = yellowish white gold.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you both.
35.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 9:26:49 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

C is right (as usuual).

In the bad old days we were allowed to use nickel white gold alloys for the bands as well as palladium pure or in alloys.
simply put - 75% gold 25% nickel = nice white and very hard to bend or dent / scratch metal that was great for bands.
The setting parts would be mae with more expensive paladium alloys that were easier to bend and set stones into - a little less white.

But 1 in 100 or 1,000 people have a reaction to nickel - usually in their pierced ears or from wide flat type necklaces.

There has been a gross over reaction to this allergy and so legislators have forced people try to make 'whitish' alloys and use too little paladium = yellowish white gold.
I don't know if it's come across the pond much, but Stuller's X-1 white gold alloy (14K) has good whiteness and passes the EU Nickel Release tests (though it's rumored to contain a bit of nickel). We haven't bought any of the casting grain ourselves, as it's yet untested for longevity and durability, but it's received positive reviews.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 12:40:16 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 3/3/2007 9:26:49 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

C is right (as usuual).

There has been a gross over reaction to this allergy and so legislators have forced people try to make ''whitish'' alloys and use too little paladium = yellowish white gold.
I don''t know if it''s come across the pond much, but Stuller''s X-1 white gold alloy (14K) has good whiteness and passes the EU Nickel Release tests (though it''s rumored to contain a bit of nickel). We haven''t bought any of the casting grain ourselves, as it''s yet untested for longevity and durability, but it''s received positive reviews.
I saw some at greenlake... it, unplated, was just the tiniest tinge warmer than polished platinum was.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results