shape
carat
color
clarity

white gold or platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

texas_26

Rough_Rock
Well, I found my stone(Thanks niceice!), and I found my setting(Christian Bernard). My last choice is white gold or platinum? Which should I choose and why?

Should I do a platinum head no matter which I choose?

Thanks!
John

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
1.gif
I would spend the extra $$ and go for platinum all the way!
It is not that much more considering the value of the diamond you are buying.
1.gif

good luck

SkyMonkey

Rough_Rock
I'm also interested in the platinum setting in any event question texas-26 asked.

I know my girlfriend wants white gold over platinum for the band (she just doesn't like the look of platinum), but I have read that even if you go for a white gold band you should insist on a platinum setting as it is stronger than white gold. Vendors have told me a white gold setting is fine and they haven't had any complaints / platinum is not necessary, so any experiences out there gratefully received.

Claude

PoopEater

Rough_Rock
I don't know why everyone gets platinum. It scratches really easily and looks like total garbage after 1 week of wear. I'd go white gold all the way.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have read a few threads on this, run a search to look for the comments last time around. From what I can tell, shiny platinum scratches pretty easily and unless you like that 'worn in' patina look or your girl is clumsy with her hands (like me) then maybe you should get white gold. If I were getting a ring that had a bunch of metal showing (e.g. a solitaire or similar), I might consider white gold, but definitely with a platinum head for strength.

However if its a setting where the metal is not exposed much up top(e.g. there are a few diamonds set alongside the large stone), then I would definitely go platinum for the strength. Same goes with a filigree setting, if there is alot of work on the ring itself, platinum. Basically if there is a place to scratch that is obvious or wil look odd, I would go WG but otherwise plat.

Our ring doesn't have alot of metal on the sides or bottom so we definitely went for platinum--necessary for the strength as well as there will be diamonds on the sides and bottom of the ring itself.

As to which types of plat etc..I don't know that info, but I'm sure in the previous topics it was discussed. Good luck!

texas_26

Rough_Rock
Well, I went with platinum. The stone is being set as we speak and it should be ready in two days. I'll post up some pics when I get it. Platinum was only $300 more, and when you are spending $2K on a setting $300 more isn't that big a deal.

Thanks for the replies!

1edwin

Rough_Rock
Hi,

How much did Christian Bernard charge you for mounting the diamond? Was this by chance the store at Tysons Corner in Northern Virginia? I found a great setting was didn't know if they would mount a diamond if you didn't buy one of theirs.

Toska

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 1/20/2003 12:12:40 PM PoopEater wrote:

I don't know why everyone gets platinum. It scratches really easily and looks like total garbage after 1 week of wear. I'd go white gold all the way.
----------------

DITTO!
appl.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I can only speak from own personal experience with both metals. I have a plain white gold wedding band that started looking yellow after about three weeks. I had it replated and that lasted another two weeks. I've since stopped wearing it. My diamond rings are in platinum and look as shiny and beautiful as when I first got them. I think that for earrings or a pendant, 14K white gold is fine but for rings which must endure much harder wear, platinum is the way to go. It's a much more durable metal.

PlatinumDiamond

Shiny_Rock
Great choice and glad to see you chose platinum!

BTW, if it is made of 950 Platinum with the S1 mix, it's hardness rating is 280HV, there is no way it is going to scratch easier than gold. It is harder to scratch. If you get a 950 Platinum with a Ruthenium mix that has a 135+HV hardness rating, it will still be a little harder to scratch then gold. 950 Platinum with a Tungsten or Colbalt mix will be about equal to gold as far as how it scratches. Now, if you get most any other Platinum and mixes other than these, then yes, it will scratch easier than gold does.

One thing to keep in mind, when platinum scratches, it does not loose any precious metal like gold does when it gets scratched. Platinum more or less displaces it's precious metal and will still weigh the same and be the same thickness a 100 years from now .... gold will weigh less and becoming thinner as wear with time takes a toll on it.

I also like having a hammered finish on platinum rings, it hides scratches very nicely! A hammered finish on gold may work well, too, for hiding scratches!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results