shape
carat
color
clarity

white gold needing dipping how often?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beltane

Shiny_Rock
Hi all... I don''t post often, but trust me, I''m here about 10 times a day! I hope my question is in the correct place... here goes:

My new engagement ring (recently engaged for the 2nd time at the ripe ol'' age of 49!) is set in white gold, which I love. I''ve always had yellow gold in the past. I had NO IDEA that white gold is actually dipped and wears off! What I''m wondering is -- how often does white gold need to be dipped? I recently met a woman who has been married only one year and I could already see a distinct yellow-ish tinge to her wedding band. Is having my rings dipped going to be a constant thing if I wear them 24/7?

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hello! It all depends on your body chemistry. White gold turns yellow fairly quickly on me so I had to have platinum for everything I wear daily. On some people, it doesn''t turn so fast. But for pieces you wear on your hands, it turns faster because you''re constantly washing your hands, exposing them to chemicals and solutions, hairsprays... Maybe you can take it off when cleaning with harsh chemicals? I''ve read a few posts where PSers say even contact lens solution turned their WG yellow! Other than that, maybe you''re one of the lucky ones! Here''s to hoping! Your ring is lovely! At the worst, you can just gt it dipped. I hear it''s easy and fast.
26.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
My engagement ring is white gold, and it came unplated for some reason. I had it plated about a year ago and it''s still white as can be. I don''t usually wear it to bed or in the shower, but other than that, it''s always on me. It''s quick, cheap and easy to get it re-plated so no worries:) Congrats on youir engagement!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Great answer, Bliss. It's really all about body chemistry/what your ring is exposed to.

Optimally, I dip mine about once a year, but I'm really picky with color and could probably go much longer than that -in fact, last time I had my ring dipped, I got teased a little by my jeweler because my ring was only starting to yellow, and the only place where I notice a change is the palm side of the band where no one really sees but me (it's a euro shank also, so it doesn't spin - I don't know if that adds in to why it only yellows there). I should probably say though, I don't wear my e-ring and wband daily (about 1/2 - 3/4 the time), or while sleeping, working out, or while working with any chemicals (hand soap only). I do clean my ring pretty often, but I don't really think that causes any metal change. My "everyday" band is also WG, I've had it for a year, and I don't see any yellowing at all.

My DH's ring hasn't been treated since he got it, and I'm probably going to steal it off his finger before our anny, because I can see a noticeable difference. He wears his all the time with the exception of while sleeping or working out.

A friend of mine got her ring at the same jeweler and is absolutely convinced that we got "bum rings!" because hers changes within about 6 months - but the reality is just that her body is different, and I think she wears hers 24/7, also.

I'm really a fan of WG (plat tends to reign supreme on PS) - I like the whiter/shinier look that WG has compared with platinum or palladium's patina. All rings require maintenance (plat needs to be polished), so it really comes down to the look that you prefer.

And, congrats on your engagement! I really love your ring, too :)

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have only had my three stone dipped once and I have had it for almost 2 years (in May). My sister has had to redip her more than I have. I agree that it depends on the individual. Congratulations!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a ring that I wore 24/7 for about 6 years, and I never noticed it yellowing at all. Until I put it next to a brand new white gold ring, of course! Had I never done that, I''d have never thought to re-plate. It was very gradual and faded smoothly, which is nice.

Anyway, the other posters are right that it depends on your body chemistry. Everyone is different! They will definitely ''go'' faster the more you wear them, but that''s of course not a reason to wear them less
1.gif

BTW, have you seen coatimundis wedding set? It''s unplated white gold - and GORGEOUS. I love the color.

beltane

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for you quick replies. Thank you also for the lovely compliments. I love my ring too! I thought I wanted a round solitaire in yellow gold (my generation tended to wear yellow the most) and was very surprised to fall head-over-heels for a princess 3-stone in white gold!

>>>Maybe you can take it off when cleaning with harsh chemicals? I''ve read a few posts where PSers say even contact lens solution turned their WG yellow!<<<

I guess it won''t help then that I''m a hairstylist and deal with chemicals, peroxide, hair spray, color and bleach all day long. *sigh* I guess I shouldn''t wear it to work.
8.gif
After all these years I''m so happy to finally meet my prince and I just love showing off my bling! Oh well...

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your engagement!!
36.gif

I get my rings replated about once a year.
After I had my rings for ~2 years, I had an allergic reaction to the nickel underneath the plating (didn''t see any wear and didn''t now what was going on)
Once I figured it out, had them replated and loved it!
Replating makes them look so fresh and new (so white and shiny!)
(I secretly want to have it done more often)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 11:12:07 PM
Author: beltane
Thank you all for you quick replies. Thank you also for the lovely compliments. I love my ring too! I thought I wanted a round solitaire in yellow gold (my generation tended to wear yellow the most) and was very surprised to fall head-over-heels for a princess 3-stone in white gold!

>>>Maybe you can take it off when cleaning with harsh chemicals? I''ve read a few posts where PSers say even contact lens solution turned their WG yellow!<<<

I guess it won''t help then that I''m a hairstylist and deal with chemicals, peroxide, hair spray, color and bleach all day long. *sigh* I guess I shouldn''t wear it to work.
8.gif
After all these years I''m so happy to finally meet my prince and I just love showing off my bling! Oh well...
Depending on where he got it, some places offer free rhodium plating for the life of the ring. Perhaps you should ask about that? From what I''ve heard jewelry stores suggest every six months if it''s worn everyday, but it really does depend on the person wearing it. I think the average cost to get it rhodium plated is around $30. I have a ring that I wore everyday for 4 years and only when I had it next to shiny newly plated WG did it look yellow at all--and it was buttery, not golden yellow.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Hi Beltane, many congratulations on your engagement. I am getting married for the second time in three weeks at the ripe old age of 43. I also went for white gold on my E ring and my wedding rings are white gold also. Initially I wanted platinum but my jeweller (small independant guy local to me) suggested white gold because he would re plate it and clean it whenever I wanted free of charge; whereas platinum wears and goes more ''dull'' and to polish it wears the metal away. I have had my E ring for just over 2 years and I have had it done about 4 times because I seem to have that effect of yellowing white gold quite easily. I love the way it looks brand new again each time I have it done. My plan is to take it in to be done the week before my wedding and then not wear until the day on the 4th April. That way I feel like I have three new rings.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
all depends...My e-ring is white gold and I've been wearing it over 4 yrs and still is very white. In fact I have pieces of jewelry that are over 20 yr old (in white gold) and have never needed to have them dipped. It depends on the individual and their body chemistry

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
My ering is white gold as well - I''ve been wearing it for two years with no problems - any time it starts to look faded, i take it to my jeweler, who polishes it up, and it looks brand new again - but we haven''t had to replate it yet - a good polishing will usually work - but as the others said, it''s really based on body chemistry...

kboggs315

Shiny_Rock
Mine was originally white gold, and actually started turning within weeks. I hated that! So, when I had to change settings due to other problems, I went with the yellow gold... and I am so much happier not to have to "inspect" my ring constantly.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
I love white gold. I get my rings and other stuff replated about twice a year. It becomes an obsession and I cant wait to get it done all the time because its like getting a brand new ring back when I go to collect it. I never get over the rush of seeing it in mint condition like Ive just got a brand new ring. It s pure entertainment for me personally. Weird hey?

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 9:32:53 AM
Author: Sharon101
I love white gold. I get my rings and other stuff replated about twice a year. It becomes an obsession and I cant wait to get it done all the time because its like getting a brand new ring back when I go to collect it. I never get over the rush of seeing it in mint condition like Ive just got a brand new ring. It s pure entertainment for me personally. Weird hey?
No - I don't think that's weird
9.gif
. I've had my e-ring replated and I like it when it comes back looking brand new & shiny
30.gif
. I also agree with Elmorton's reply "All rings require maintenance (plat needs to be polished)"

It's pure luck - one of my WG rings is fine after 2 years of wear and the other needs replating.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had my white gold rings since sept and I''m just waiting. I was hoping to only have to do it once a year.
35.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I work out A LOT, wear my ring all the time. Get it dipped every 6 months. It needs it. I didn''t realise how sweaty my hands got... and how often I wash my hands probably plays a role... now I know - and next round will be plat. My girlfriend, takes her off when she sleeps, showers, works out, washes hands etc... she hasn''t had hers dipped in 7 years... still as white as can be.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear wg earrings, pendant, tennis bracelet and RHR 24/7 - I''ve only replated once in over 10 years.

split_shank

Shiny_Rock
I''ve had mine replated about every 6 months. I notice a little yellowing on the bottom and on top of the prongs.The jeweler that I got my wedding bands from does it for free and it takes less than 5 minutes (just enough time to scope out the new stuff in the store
11.gif
. LOVE how it looks when it I put it back on! Everything sparkles a little bit more! My husband''s ring is palladium. Not sure what they do back there since its so fast (dip or buff) but it looks brand new with no scratches when it comes back out!

beltane

Shiny_Rock
I''m so glad to hear that re-plating is that easy. I should have known that all you white gold ladies would never tolerate being without your diamonds for several weeks a year. I was worried that re-plating would mean that they take away my precious for a week or two every year.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
As said above, it is dependant on individual chemistry. I had my wedding ring re-plated after wearing it for 3 years 24/7. Even then, there was only a slight tinge on the inside of the ring. Now I don''t wear it 24/7 anymore, I take it off for bed/shower/housework, so am interested to see how long it`ll last this time.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I had to have my rings re-dipped every couple of months due to my body chemistry. After about a year I switched to a similar style in platinum and am much happier...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
With my particular skin I had to dip my previous WG ring every few months...which is why I now am happy with platinum! Don''t fear though, because I could notice the tinge probably quicker than anyone else and I know many others that just dip theirs yearly.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've had my e-ring for 2 years and I haven't had it rhodium plated yet. It is a little more creamy white on the underside of the ring but it doesn't bother me at all. I'll probably get it rhodium plated right before my wedding so it will match my wedding band if I get a white gold wedding band. But my ring has a lot of pave so not much metal shows except for the very underside, because the pave only goes 3/4 of the way around.

If I were you I would just wear it to work and see what happens. Worst case, you have to get it rhodium plated more often or get the setting switched to platinum. I think life is too short to not enjoy diamonds and other beautiful things! (I should add that chemicals could break down the metal itself so I would pay close attention to the prongs to make sure they're not eaten away, though!)

And congratulations on your engagement!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve had my ring for four and a half years and haven''t had to replate it yet. I wear it about half the day. Unplated white gold can look very pretty. I have some and it''s not blindingly white, but I think it''s nice looking.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results