shape
carat
color
clarity

While the Gem Cats are Away in Vegas....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
....the gem mice can play.

In honor of all of the *paid* experts being away at the convention in Las Vegas, let''s talk about something funny.

What is the most hilarious mis-truth, lie, deception, or ignorant statement you have heard by a less-than-educated jeweler professional in a maul store, B&M etc? Or here on the forum even, if that is possible?

I heard a salesperson tell a friend, "We don''t use the "typical" clarity/color rating system here. We have developed our own rating system." Read: we have developed cute marketing terms for diamonds with huge black carbon inclusions, lightning bolt fractures, cloudy diamonds, and petrified cud.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked a saleslaldy in a very big, well-known store that carries generic Asschers whether they planned to carry Royal Asschers. She said she didn't know what Royal Asschers were.

Same store,different day, different saleslady: I was looking at a Tanzanite that had some slight scratches on the table. I asked her how the scratches happened. She said that she didn't realize they were there and "They are probably a natural inclusion."

Not jewelry related but funny: I asked a saleslady in Bloomie's whether they still sold the original Gucci fragrance. She said "Which original Gucci fragrance is that?"

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
"This is the best Asscher we have" ... by a Salesgal CLEARLY holding a CUSHION
20.gif

"Inclusion? Imagine you''re skating over a plane of ice and your skate nicks the ice a bit ... its just like that. No biggie ... by a Salesgal holding a "D" color oops Lazare Kaplan cushion with an inclusion you could see FROM SPACE.

"You don''t want an Asscher! You must have seen that on TV or something. by a salesguy of a jewelry store that, obviously, doesn''t CARRY Asschers.

"You can''t set H color stones in platinum -- it would look YELLOW." multiple salesguys enamored with their 18K yellow gold selections.

"Hmmmm. I''m guessing YOU had something to do with THAT!" by an extremely feminine-acting male lookie-loo who grabbed my hand in a store to examine my e-ring.

That''s all I can remember for now -- fun idea!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A sales person telling a victim that a certain sim was " just as good as a diamond and no one can tell the difference- HE certainly couldn't anyway...
16.gif
....." Thankfully he didn't get his sale that time.
28.gif
BTW the victim wasn't ME!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
When I aksed a saleslady at a B&M to explain the huge price difference between their quote for a flat band, satin finish platinum 2mm .30tcw channel set eternity band ($2300!!!!) and the one I had quoted from a PS B&M vendor (less than half that price) she said, "Well, we use a VERY fine G VS2 melee which really adds to the price" and I said, "Hmmm...he uses a VERY fine F VS2 melee."

And she said, "Oh."

And, to her credit, she said, "I'd buy that guy's band, if I were you."

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Hey, I absolutely love PriceScope! You guys are giving me a lot more confidence about going into a big jewelery store than I ever would have gotten by reading on my own!

I''m not exactly your "typical" diamond girl and I used to let the sales girls with tons of makeup and IMHO guady jewelery intimidate me! Silly Me!!

But here are 2 of my "less-than-educated" salespeople experiences in about 1 hour of window shopping in Mall stores with the boyfriend...

A: "Well here is one of our more modern settings, you''ll absolutely love it... here is the EMBEZZELE setting...."
-Am I right that the Bezel setting is NEVER EVER called an "EMBEZZLE" setting? I started to giggle a little... but I''m not an expert : p

B: "Here are our prized "Leo" Diamonds that are special in oh-so-many ways... we carry them exclusively (Mall Shop 1)
C: "Here are our prized "Leo" Diamonds that are special in oh-so-many ways... we carry them exclusively (Mall Shop 2 - ACROSS THE HALL!)
-This one got my boyfriend MAD (and he doesn''t get mad almost ever... this was his 1st diamond expedition and he hasn''t been reading this forum or anything... and this one ticked him off... HOW THE HECK IS SOMETHING "EXCLUSIVE" IF THE GUY ACROSS THE HALL HAS IT?

Maybe I''m missing something here... but wow, in a few weeks of reading this... I knew more then them : ) yippe!!

Aussie : p

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
"I've never heard that term before (halo)."

"IGI is the best lab there is. You don't want to go with any other lab report."

Manager of jewelry store telling one of his employees "an asscher is kind of a cushiony, princessy, roundy, emeraldy stone" (after I asked to see some, and the employee didn't know what an asscher was). My sister and I walked away cracking up.

"Imperial topaz. No, I've never heard of that before."

widget

Ideal_Rock
Heehee...I love it. From now on I''m always going to refer to "embezzle-set stones"
1.gif

(I''m not sure...but it''s possible that the term "halo" is mostly a PS term. I''ve had a couple of knowledgeable antique jewelry dealers go "huh?" when I''ve said it....)

widget

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
while showing me the lab report
34.gif
(63.6 % depth
6.gif
) ...."this is our best cut rb"
23.gif
i was going to say....show me your worse
20.gif
9.gif

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been to places where I ask about the clarity of a diamond, and the sales people told me, it''s really clear, no inclusions because it''s graded D or E or F (refering to the color). Totally clueless!

nicolejrx

Shiny_Rock
As heard at a very well known upscale chain:

Salesgirl: "Ooh, ahh your E-ring is so beautiful, what is your wedding band going to look like?"
Me: "My jeweler is custom making a full eternity band, with 20 pointers, pave"
Salesgirl: "That''s great, what''s pave?"

Umm you sell it in your store! Hello?!?!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Walked into the store and asked the salesperson if they had any cushions....she pointed to an upholstered chair...I felt like I was in a Fellini movie.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Matata tell me you just made it up! Diamond is not what you would like to have a sit on, especially...hmmm "in color grading position".

And yes, Widget is right "halo" is a PS slang.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 10:49:26 PM
Author: Matata
Walked into the store and asked the salesperson if they had any cushions....she pointed to an upholstered chair...I felt like I was in a Fellini movie.

Okay that one is a RIOT!

I've gotten blank expressions at Halo too.

I've had salespeople at BN tell me that my asscher is the shiniest princess they've ever seen. (Their princesses were so badly cut that any 'sparkle' was clearly a case of hallucination).

I've asked if periodots were 'enhanced' ... saleslady had no clue what 'enhanced' was.

I asked one saleswoman to measure the shank of a ring. She measured the halo.

I've been told that K is 'near colorless'

And that a big black inclusion was just 'stubborn dirt' from the salesperson who had just pulled the ring out of the cleaner (she put it in the cleaner to prove to me that it was just dirt, in the first place) and that she had never seen it on that diamond before.

That's all I've got right now.
2.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2006 10:58:54 PM
Author: Pricescope
Matata tell me you just made it up! Diamond is not what you would like to have a sit on, especially...hmmm ''in color grading position''.

And yes, Widget is right ''halo'' is a PS slang.
Truth is stranger than fiction. At first I was so stunned I didn''t know what to do, then I started getting the giggles and had to dash to the nearest restroom where I sat safely locked in a stall cackling like a mad woman...I laughed so hard I could barely breathe.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata tell me you just made it up! Diamond is not what you would like to have a sit on, especially...hmmm ''in color grading position''.

and who was the first person to use that slang on PS?
20.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 11:39:35 PM
Author: Matata

Truth is stranger than fiction. At first I was so stunned I didn''t know what to do, then I started getting the giggles and had to dash to the nearest restroom where I sat safely locked in a stall cackling like a mad woman...I laughed so hard I could barely breathe.

Yeah. That sounds right. OMG. I would have peed my pants. I swear.
9.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Diamond is not what you would like to have a sit on, especially...hmmm ''in color grading position''.

That would be one very uncomfortable culet cushion indeed.....ooowwww!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
"You better make sure that it's the correct size, because you can't re-size platinum jewelry once it is made."

20.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/3/2006 1:01:14 AM
Author: wallermama

Diamond is not what you would like to have a sit on, especially...hmmm ''in color grading position''.

That would be one very uncomfortable culet cushion indeed.....ooowwww!
Real story??? hum...

When i first started in the industry..., my father (yes, i am 2nd. generation) placed a big round diamond table down on my chair and asked me to sit on that chair...

Ooowwww!!! After sitting on that chair he told me: " You never want to sit on your merchandise...."

Get it?

Yea. a real story...

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/2/2006 12:41:50 PM
Author:wallermama
....the gem mice can play.

In honor of all of the *paid* experts being away at the convention in Las Vegas, let''s talk about something funny.

What is the most hilarious mis-truth, lie, deception, or ignorant statement you have heard by a less-than-educated jeweler professional in a maul store, B&M etc? Or here on the forum even, if that is possible?

I heard a salesperson tell a friend, ''We don''t use the ''typical'' clarity/color rating system here. We have developed our own rating system.'' Read: we have developed cute marketing terms for diamonds with huge black carbon inclusions, lightning bolt fractures, cloudy diamonds, and petrified cud.
Hi Wallermama...

Believe it or not..., some diamonds with special, weird, unusual, inclusions can bring in a premium.... (very, very rarely)
Now, beside the point... ever heard of "Grissogono" jewelery ???
They the ones that came out with the "Use black diamonds fashion jewelry"?
Well a few years ago, (and if i am not mistaken) including these days...., they have been known in using white, clowdy, totaly imperfect diamonds (full of white inclushions) diamonds with no light-return what-so-ever, combining together with amazing diamonds and colored gemstones... (check-out their web-site)
Today they are even marketing the Browns as high end jewelry...

I guess when you know how to market..., everything is marketable..., especialy selling rejection diamonds to all the Rich and Famous as Grissogono does...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2006 7:16:44 PM
Author: widget
Heehee...I love it. From now on I''m always going to refer to ''embezzle-set stones''
1.gif
Brilliant!
36.gif
36.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
last week i heard a clerk tell a customer "Zales sells crushed moissanite glued togther...." and to be wary of zales.

LBug75

Shiny_Rock
After a jeweler was trying to show me things in yellow gold and I explained that I prefer white gold he said "There''s no such thing as white gold, all white gold is yellow gold that''s been rhodium plated"

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 8:24:31 AM
Author: LBug75
After a jeweler was trying to show me things in yellow gold and I explained that I prefer white gold he said ''There''s no such thing as white gold, all white gold is yellow gold that''s been rhodium plated''
I''ve heard that too. I think what they are trying to say is the gold itself is a yellow metal-- so there is no such thing as pure white gold... but there are WG formulations that don''t require rhodium plating so the statement is false. And frankly the couple of times I''ve heard that I''ve been thinking... "You''re wrong... but even if you are right... what IS your point. I don''t want yellow gold buddy."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results