shape
carat
color
clarity

Which version of Adobe Photoshop is best?

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
I've decided to take the plunge and splurge on Adobe Photoshop software, but I'm completely clueless on which version is best suited for a beginner. Basically, I want to be able to manipulate the photos that I take of my son (i.e. create color effects, etc) just like the professional photographers do.

Can anyone suggest the best version for a newbie? 8)

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I have Elements 6.0 and I HATE it. I used to have a much older version, before it was even called Elements, which was basically the pro software with fewer options. But it worked the same way as regular Photoshop. The version I have now has really dumbed everything down, taken away pretty much all the functionality I used to love, and really limited the options for what you can do. I don't think I'm describing it well, but before I used to have a "dashboard" with sliders for every single thing (contrast, saturation, levels, sharpness, etc). I could choose auto or I could make the adjustments myself. Now, it's mainly "one-touch" buttons, and while you can go in and change some of it yourself, you can't change all of it. Since I was used to the old way, I'm acutely aware of what is missing in this version. Plus, they have this annoying gallery function that makes it really hard to figure out what you're working on and where it is.

6.0 is a couple years old, so the newer version might be better. If you're starting fresh, it might not bother you anyway, but if you've ever used Photoshop before, I wouldn't recommend it. I will certainly never buy Elements again.

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the feedback, Octavia. I just downloaded Adobe Photoshop CS5 (free 30-day trial) and will *attempt* to teach myself how to use it using various online tutorials. I've been playing around with the software for the last few hours and I'm mentally drained!! :errrr:

Photoshop is no joke. :shock:

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
CS5 is actually really good. I have CS6 and it does it all! I have used almost every version of Photoshop, and this is my favorite.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Photoshop is tough to learn and takes patience! The key for me was understanding layers and how to use them...everything else is bells and whistles!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Just use Picasa or something similar, unless you're doing serious photography and what not, you don't need Photoshop.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Corel's Paint Shop Pro is popular too.

Check out the websites to see if they have any free training videos. That's key for me in learning new software. You can also check youtube...people may have some tutorials up there.

Amazon.com generally has great prices on software. Publishers run rebates constantly, so put it on your wishlist and check back frequently for pricing.

I actually use a product called PhotoImpact. I believe Nova publishes it now, but it used to belong to Ulead (purchased by Corel, which is why I think they killed it). I love it...it's perfect for what I want to do and object based versus layer based. But you probaby won't get very good support on it!

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for the feedback. Although Photoshop is challenging (at least for me), I'm almost at the point now where I'm determined to continue teaching myself until I get it. I'm learning how to remove images from photos and add a new image, manipulate color/saturation/hues, etc. It's actually kinda fun! :bigsmile:

Corel's Paint Shop Pro sounds interesting, too, and maybe I'll give that a try once Adobe's free 30-day trial period ends!

My goal is to teach myself how to make the photos I take of DS have the same look and feel as the photos the pros take. :praise:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I just took a photography class and the instructor (himself a professional photographer) highly recommended Adobe Lightroom for dealing with photos, as opposed to graphic design. He said that you can manipulate photos more easily and in batches (for instance, color correcting one and then syncing the changes to a group if they were taken in the same light). Photos also retain all their information - since you don't save, per se, you can see every change you've ever made and always go back to the original photo.

It is also considerably less expensive than Photoshop, which seems like a bonus.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry said:
I just took a photography class and the instructor (himself a professional photographer) highly recommended Adobe Lightroom for dealing with photos, as opposed to graphic design. He said that you can manipulate photos more easily and in batches (for instance, color correcting one and then syncing the changes to a group if they were taken in the same light). Photos also retain all their information - since you don't save, per se, you can see every change you've ever made and always go back to the original photo.

It is also considerably less expensive than Photoshop, which seems like a bonus.

This! Lightroom is AWESOME.

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
Lightroom? I've never heard of it, but I am going to research right now! :read:

Thanks guys!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results