shape
carat
color
clarity

Which stone would you choose? Urgent opinions needed

nelly81

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

Which stone would you choose based on the available information? Both are AGS000 Ideal cuts.

Stone 1:
1.53 H VS2 (confirmed as eye clean)
HCA 0.3
$14,770
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1416819.asp?gid=GAN&pid=k244266&pname=VigLink

Idealscope image attached below.

Or

Stone 2:
1.53 G SI1 (confirmed as eye clean)
HCA 1.5
$16,830
all info available on website

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8399/

Which one would you go for?

The GOG stone has a higher colour (G v H), is confirmed as H&A and generally more information available ie the Brilliant scope etc.
GOG also has amazing upgrade polices and guarantees etc. The Idealscope image of the GOG stone appears to be much redder than the JA stone - not sure if that makes a difference or means anything?

Also, I dont know how to compare the light leakage between the images so opinions would be appreciated here!!!

However, the James Allen stone is cheaper, slightly bigger in measurements (but probably not noticeably bigger to the naked eye), is a lower colour (although most on PS claim you cannot tell the difference between H and G so not sure if it worth the premium?), not a H&A but is a higher clarity at VS2.

I am very strict in my preference for eye clean but even though the JA is VS2, I have heard there can be visible inclusions in a VS2. Are JA as strict as GOG in their assessments of eye clean?
GOG have confirmed that the stone is eye clean from all angles and distances (and the inclusions are on the side therefore prongable).

Is the H&A premium worth it for the GOG?
As it is from GOG, I have a feeling it is likely to be a better performing stone due to the high testing they do?
I am concerned there is still a chance of seeing the JA inclusions as they are towards the centre of the stone, not the side like the GOG.

i know there is a price difference but i am happy to pay that difference for a better quality stone if your thoughts are that the GOG is better.

PS; the GOG stone is on hold by someone else but i am willing to wait and check what happens with it. I have put the JA stone on hold.

Your urgent opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

1416819id.jpg

nelly81

Rough_Rock
I should have mentioned above, i am after the brightest, sparkly, firey and brilliant stone i can get!!!
The JA does not have brilliant scope tests etc like the JA - is that the only measure of fire, sparkle, scintillation etc??
Are these tests worth all the extra or is an idealscope enough?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I'd take the 1.53 H. 7.5mm is a nice milestone and let's not forget it's 2k cheaper!

ETA- I know it's a huge purchase and that's why you're splitting hairs but you're overthinking it. They are both very nice eyeclean stones...look to their differences like color, clarity, spread, and price to make your decision.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I do like the GOG stone better based on the ideal scope image. just ask them both if it's eye clean. I bought my stone from JA and it is a SI1 and they confirmed to me it is eye clean and it is very eye clean.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't worry about the color of the idealscope image...just look for white vs. red, not the color of red (the JA seems to be uniformly a pink/red color)

from the information we have, both look like excellent choices.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with the JA stone. It is cheaper and it looks like a great stone.

Lahey

Rough_Rock
I'd go for the GOG stone because it's H&A and a G in color. although it's not a VS2 like the other, GOG seems to be very professional and I would trust their assessment of its eye-cleanliness.

can't go wrong with either though. congrats.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Can't go wrong with either stone. These vendors have different upgrade policies so that may be the deciding factor for you.

nelly81

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies.

Lachey - have you been lucky in your search so far? Its hard isnt it! But PS is a lifesaver!!!

The similarity of these stones is making the decision so hard! So I am hoping there is actually something I can actually differentiate on the basis of.

Colour?
I have never actually seen a H - is it really true that you cannot tell the difference between a G and H? Opinions?
If you can , then I would definitely prefer G as a whiter colour. I was originally looking for an F, then reallised there was harly any difference (to the eye) between an F and G, so continued with a G. But I have never compared H myself.

Size?
Can you see the difference between a 7.4 and a 7.5 to the naked eye once set? i wouldnt have thought so? Size is important to me

H&A?
is there a benefit for H&A?

Supplier?
I love the GOG upgrade (whether I ever will or not is a different story) and I know that they do so much testing on thier stones to determine premium quality.
However, am I paying a premium for the GOG stone and the specs because GOG tend to be a little pricier? Is it a reasonable price for the stone?
i also like their brilliance testing etc, however, it seems that the JA stone is likely to sparkle as much considering the AGS000 specs.

Clarity?
Although the clarity ratings are different, the GOG stone has been confirmed as eye clean once set. I think there is a visible location at the edge of the girdle that they advised can be easily covered with a prong.
Do you think the inclusions on the side of the GOG stone look too big to be covered by a prong?

Regards

nelly81

Rough_Rock
Yssie? Gypsy? Stone cold? amy opinions? :appl:

mastercut

Shiny_Rock
I would go for the first one. The stone is excellent and cheaper.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
crbl999|1319228959|3044981 said:
Can't go wrong with either stone. These vendors have different upgrade policies so that may be the deciding factor for you.

yes- to me, aside from price, this is the bigget difference. the size, color, and HCA lend itself to two great stones that are very difficult to pick between. To me the question is the 2K versus the upgrade policy. If you are EVER considering upgrading- you have to spend double the purchase price at JA to upgrade and that is way more than a 2K jump. So if you plan to upgrade I would go wtih GOG. If not- then go with JA>

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results