shape
carat
color
clarity

Which SLOW Cooker???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I''m ready to join in the Crock-Pot fun! Our tiny kitchen/lack of storage space has held me back long enough! Please tell me what Slow Cooker or Crock Pot you guys would recommend ... preferably a cheap one that repells dust & doubles as a light fixture and/or pantry. HA!
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
oval 4qt or 4.5qt is the most versatile.
Target has some nice ones but I picked mine up at the dollar store for $15.00 which is about 1/2 targets price.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Ok so this one at c&b isn''t cheap, but it is on sale! These things are supposed to be excellent because you can also use the ceramic part on the stovetop or in the oven. Why would anyone want to do that? Pretend you''re making shepard''s pie, you can brown the lamb in the pot on the stove, transfer the whole pot into the slow cooker and uh, slow cook it, then when it''s done at mashed potatoes on top and pop it under the broiler! One pot=dinner. A friend got this for christmas, can you tell I''m jealouse?

Anyhoo... people use these things for all kinds of varied ends, but if I had kitchen space, this puppy would be mine.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i got one at BB&B for $50ish i think...whatever one they sell there. it's a popular brand. it's a 5qt i think..oval. it's huge. i wouldn't mind a smaller one like a 3 qt for making things like smaller portions of dips or similar. but we love the 5qt one for making big spaghetti sauces or whole chicken dishes, and stuff like that.

they have some new one out there that comes with it's own carrying case which seems like it'd come in super handy for when you make a dip then want to take it with in the container...mine doesn't have that.

eta here is it, rival for $49.99 and it's 6qt. oh and we store it up over our fridge in a cabinet. oh and ours has the same removeable ceramic thing for taking to table or we wrap it towels and take it with us in the car. but it'd be handy if it had a carrying case!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13760055

i just downloaded a crockpot chili recipe last nite that looks super yummy...going to try making it tomorrow!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the Rival that Mara posted the link to, it''s great.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea! So many great choices! I knew you guys would come through! I''m always at Target so I might check out their selections in person before ordering online (also - I imagine these puppies are heavy for shipping).

A tote does sound handy. I just called my Mom & asked for my Grandma''s old traveling cake topper dealie .. cause I had several times recently when I wanted to transport stuff that Saran Wrap would have ruined. Hmmmm.... tupperware cake holder could be good too ... NOW I''M OFF ON ANOTHER KITCHEN-CRAMMING TANGENT dang it!
20.gif
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the Rival 6 quart oval cooker (my model is in the picture below). LOVE IT!!! They are selling a very similar one at Costco right now. Same size, but the insert is a little different.

crockppt.jpg

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
I have the one Mara posted. Love it.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My husband bought me mine, which means that in all likelihood it''s was a WalMart special, it''s made by Rival as well and is 6 qts. I have lots of counter/storage space so it doesn''t get in the way, but having a smaller one would work fine for just the two of us.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I got a rival 4 or 4.5 qt at our work xmas exchange (score!!) and it is great. DH made great tri tip in it, or something. I think it was just $20 at target (I didn't buy it but our $$ limit was $20 for the exchange, so... yeah.)

I'm actually glad I got a smaller one, it takes less space and it's enough for just the two of us, plus leftovers for the next day!!
9.gif

this is the one we have : here

B000F1CUS4.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_V54317669_.jpg

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I have the same one FG has, got it at Costco & it came with the "lil dipper" for sauces. $39 I think. it rocks. Goes in the dishwasher.

But I wished I would have spent the extra cash & bought this one..Flylady recommends it, you can use it as a dutch oven & brown your meat in it directly (a dirty pan step saver if you plan on slow cooking pot roasts...etc..mmmm...pot roast...ok now I''m hungry) on your stove top before putting it in the base.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000065UF2/qid=1068435245/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-kitchen/002-7293462-8630432?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=284507/flyladynet-20

Wow, its on sale bigtime. I think it was $89 last year & its $49 now~

hth

dh

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I use my 10 year old crockpot at least 2-3 times a week from Sept to May. I have a large round one with very basic settings: off, high & low. The insert does come out for washing but not for putting in the over or on the stove. After using mine as much as I have the one thing I really wish mine had was to be more programmable: I want one where it start out on "high" for a short time then converts to "low" then eventually to a "warming mode." Being able to use the insert on the stove would be a plus for recipes that want you to saute onions or meat before adding to the crockpot. However, I don''t like the model that Divergirl posted because the heat only comes from the bottom. I have friends who have that model and they have trouble with getting even heat distribution.

But like I said, I have a very basic model and it''s been working fine for 10 years. If this is your first entry into crockpot cooking, get the oval one strmdr posted for $19.99 at Target. That way if you find you don''t really use it, you aren''t out much money.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I have one similar to Mara''s and FG - rival, stainless w/ ceramic insert. I received mine as a gift so I don''t know where it was purchased - but mine also came with the little "sauce" crock pot.

The biggest tip I got on crock pots is to get an OVAL one. It really does help fit a chicken & most non round stuff.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the 4 qt. stainless steel Rival round one from Target. It was $20 and also came with one of those insulated carrying covers with handles--I take it everywhere with spinach and artichoke dip in it, just used it this past weekend and plan to use it again this coming weekend, actually!

We have a larger, 6 qt. Rival for bigger meals, but I love this little one because it doesn''t take up much space and it''s just cute, darn it.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I also have the Rival that FG and Mara have. I love that you can remove the ceramic dish inside to clean.

I also have the Rival Little-dipper, which is specifically used for dips (holds 16 oz). I like to make my spicey sausage dip and it keeps it nice at hot when we have guests over!

littledipper.jpg

dh97

Shiny_Rock
The Rival 5-quart with Little dipper on sale at Costco ( $10.00 off cuppon) $29.99. Sale end Jan 21.

elsie

Shiny_Rock
Here''s an article on Slate reviewing crock pots (not sure how old it is, though):

http://www.slate.com/id/2113226/

I think I have the one flopkins posted -- I seem to get a lot of burnt goo stuff on the bottom, but maybe that''s ''cause I don''t know how to use a crock pot!
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 1:23:30 PM
Author: elsie
Here''s an article on Slate reviewing crock pots (not sure how old it is, though):

http://www.slate.com/id/2113226/

I think I have the one flopkins posted -- I seem to get a lot of burnt goo stuff on the bottom, but maybe that''s ''cause I don''t know how to use a crock pot!
2.gif
LOL, I think Reynolds makes bags you can line the crockpot insert with so to clean up, all you have to do is toss the bag out! I''m pretty sure I remember the commercials. If they don''t have one specifically for crockpots, their oven bags work the same way, and they have a variety of sizes.
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 1:23:30 PM
Author: elsie

That was a great article!! And kinda proved our PS ladies & gents are in the know!! I''m so excited!

No Costco near us, sadly -- but we''re gonna check out the oval Rivals at our Target. If we can find that one (maybe with the Lil'' Dipper) we''ll take the plunge! If not - we''ll probably order the Rival Smart Pot online which''ll take a bit longer.

DH says he''s *get this * NEVER HAD POT ROAST!
23.gif

THANKS SO MUCH for all the suggestions & testamonials & links & pix! I will def report back what we get & how the whole Pot Roast thing goes!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe i actually don''t like pot roast, we made it one night in our crockpot (i really hadn''t had it before either)...and i was like yeah okay not missing much, hahaa. not into stringy fatty meat !

do you have a bed bath and beyond near you? that''s where we got ours.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 2:22:38 PM
Author: Mara

do you have a bed bath and beyond near you? that''s where we got ours.

We kinda do ... but it''s so small I think ours is missing the "Beyond" part
3.gif
-- so I rarely go there. If Target doesn''t have the Rival though, I''d check out BB(-B) for it to avoid shipping costs. It''s right across the street.

LOL on the pot roast -- I grew up in a house with 6 kids & 1 income ... thems was good eats! We joke that my parents bought the same amount of food for 8 as they did for 4!! I swear, the pieces of meat just got smaller & smaller!
3.gif

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Rivals are at Target & BB&B, so you may be in luck! For what its worth, I think the lil dipper was under $20.00. I''m not positive, as we got it as a shower gift.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fire Goddess, that is the one I have too and I love it.

there was one at Williams Sonoma that looked awesome, I think it was around 100.00, but I do not recall. I think it was Krups or something, but Rival is the name in slow cookers so I would never think you can go wrong with them. Oval is best overall too, most versatile shape. I have TONS of great slow cooker cook books, lite and healthy ones too, so it is great...there are mixes at the market that you can now throw in your crockpot, in the freezer aisle, everything is done and you just toss it in! Do not know if the fat and carbs are okay though...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
deco you should try my crockpot chili i posted in the WWT thread (i have to repost in the recipe thread)...we made it this week and it was YUMMY!!! big hit. and healthy which is a perk, but the flavor was PERFECT.

also i am making a crockpot chicken soup this weekend...a few chicken breasts, chicken broth, water, a bunch of veggies all chopped up (zucchini, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, 2 tomatoes, and bok choy) with some salt and pepper and parsley and let it cook for 6-8 hours, yum!! my mom made a non crockpot version this week and gave us some for dinner one night, so it got me seriously jonesing for chicken soup. you can throw in rice or noodles about an hour before it''s done to get a chicken and rice or chicken and noodle soup too. and chicken soup with breasts is very healthy!! i am not so advanced to try the full on chicken soup with bones and all...esp since then you gotta pick them out. and hers was really yummy even with just breasts.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Mara ... do you def think I should get 6qt ... or would 4qt work most of the time for just DH & I ... we''ll be cooking more in batches like you guys do. What do you think? TODAY IS PROBABLY P-DAY (pot day)! Though I think the "smart pot" programmable one is only 6 qt. Aiigh my lost storage space.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm i''m not sure. we got the 6qt just because i think it was the only one big enough to fit a whole chicken into...the other ones were too small i think (5qt might have worked but i don''t think BBB had a 5qt)...and typically we only get like 3-4lb chickens so they are pretty small. also i have never run into an issue where the 6qt is too big to actually make something. in terms of making foods, typically i can halve a recipe aka chili and it still fills about 1/3-1/2 of the 6qt CP. but i wouldn''t mind getting a small one for dips...that''s a good idea.

i guess if you are only thinking of getting ONE, get the bigger one and then you can always use it for everything. it would suck to get a 4qt then realize it wasn''t useful for one or two things you wanted to use it for kinda thing. storage does suck...we are lucky to have a lot of storage space for my various random kitchen items...but at least with one bigger one you know you are covered.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
6 qt is perfect for doing a whole chicken...I don''t know if 4 would be big enough for that...

I store mine in the closet when it''s not in use...this place we''re in now has the most microscopic kitchen ever!!! But seriously, the 6 qt is worth it, 5 too if you have that option.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay ... the deed is done!
3.gif
And here she is ... the Rival Programmable 5 1/2 Quart in Metallic Red which (drumroll please) was ON SALE at Target for $39.95.

36.gif

okay - metallic red 'cause our kitchen is red & our coffee maker is metallic red ... and, no cooking in it yet as this weekend is our massive kitchen reorganization project. probably first trial run Monday-ish.

What's no fail? Chicken? Pot Roast? Beef Stew? Gotta check out the Crock Pot thread -- though I also got two cookbooks today at target ... one Rival one & "Fix it & Forget It"

Aw she's so purty though. EXCITEMENT!

p.s. -- yet it still doesn't fill the hole in my heart that's the exact size & shape of a certain '05 Olive Balenciaga hobo.
27.gif
25.gif

decocooker.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results