shape
carat
color
clarity

Which San Francisco jewelers have you used?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
When it comes to sterling I know exactly who to go to. But when it comes to fine jewelry and especially colored stones (besides the internet vendors) I haven''t the slightest idea who does good work around here. Who have you used and how was your experience?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
wanted to mention that I have done a lot of internet searches and networking over the last year and have made some interesting contacts and discoveries but no perfect local jeweler. :/ And places like derco don''t know anything about colored stones.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
innerkitten - I have used a local jeweler in Berkeley, M. Lowe... but I''m not sure you''d want to trek out here. They set my opal ring (I don''t know if you remember it from the GTG) in a bezel split shank in YG. The quality was pretty good. I am familiar w/their staff, which is always friendly, and the owner Margo seems pretty knowlegable. They buy and sell a lot of colored stones, as well as estate pieces... kind of an eclectic place.

Anyhow i''m just rambling, but if you''re interested let me know and I''ll dig up a phone number.

The only problem w/this place is that the owner is the only one who gives firm quotes on custom work, and she isn''t in all the time now bc of her son, so it''s best to try and make an appt...

Also I''m pretty sure they''ve changed bench jewelers since I had my ring made, so I don''t know about the quality of work w/the new person.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t actually been to this jeweler, but my brother-in-law who has wonderful taste mentioned that he likes Union Street Goldsmith. (I believe it''s called)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Flopkins. I''d love that number!

Cind11, I''ll contact them. I''ve never been there but have heard the name.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know... that antique jeweler we went to in the city... flopkins do you remember the name--it started with an L... their custom price qoutes for the setting I asked about were pretty okay... and they might be a good place to get a referral from.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2006 7:06:00 PM
Author: Gypsy
You know... that antique jeweler we went to in the city... flopkins do you remember the name--it started with an L... their custom price qoutes for the setting I asked about were pretty okay... and they might be a good place to get a referral from.
was it Lang''s I think? that place was AMAZING. they do custom work?? i didn''t know that!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
David Clay...that store is really nice, great selection!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Union Street GOldsmith is my favorite for eye candy and repair work, but their jewelry prices are sky high (for example, I had a plat band and wanted an eternity band--they offered to "add" .30tcw of tiny diamonds to my existing 2mm band for $1600, or make a new one for $2300....I ended up paying around $1200 for an entire ring from scratch...platinum and diamonds...from Dimend Scaasi.) But I do love them and their work is exquisite.

What are you looking to do?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2006 8:22:18 PM
Author: Mara

Date: 10/14/2006 7:06:00 PM
Author: Gypsy
was it Lang''s I think? that place was AMAZING. they do custom work?? i didn''t know that!

I asked about one of their settings and the owner gave me a pretty good price for a custom reproductions-- that was without any haggling on my part. It''s worth a call.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Lang, thats where I bought my e ring. I love the place! I didn''t know they did custom work either?

Wallermama that sounds kind of high. I have a few projects that I''d like to have done, mostly repair work. Plus I have some stones that need settings and some setting that need stones.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Innerkitten,

For what you need, I would recommend Cresalia Jewelers on Sutter Street downtown. They won some award for being the best value/prices in the area....it is where my husband went to have my three stone bezel set ring designed and they did a great job. it is very old world and the selection in the store is odd but they are so helpful and honest and reasonable.

I took my OEC antique ring in there and they sized it and replaced a missing OEC side stone for $100 a couple years ago. Pretty darned reasonable.

While 90% of the stuff in their store is a bit 1979, they might be of help....

ETA: rereading your thread, I was thinking more of setting work and repair...I'm not as sure of their colored stone expertise. But I'd give them a try, especially since you are an educated shopper that can be pretty specific about what you want...

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
IK:

Link to the Berkeley place:
http://mlowejewels.com/index.htm

Let me know if you plan to go, I would love to meet you there!!

Also there is a place on College called Pave that I have heard good things about but have never gone myself, only looked at the window a few times... I know they do custom work... I''ve been meaning to take a look at their stuff

http://www.pavefinejewelry.com/index.html

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!
Cresla sounds like a good place for repairs, very good location. Flopkins that sounds like a cool place and if I do make it over there I''ll let you know. I think that might be where my best friends husband got her e-ring.

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for Union Street Goldsmith too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results