shape
carat
color
clarity

which one would you chose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alicat

Rough_Rock
Which of these 3 (EGL-USA certed)diamonds would you pick NOT considering price?

Diamond #1:

Weight 1.61 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color H
Clarity SI2
Measurements 7.7 - 7.59 x 4.55 mm
Depth 59.6
Table 60.0
Crown 13.1
Pavilion 43.1
Girdle THIN TO MEDIUM FACETED
Polish GOOD
Symmetry FAIR
Fluorescence NONE
Culet VERY SMALL

Diamond #2:
Weight 1.64 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color I
Clarity VS2
Measurements 7.55 - 7.5 x 4.73 mm
Depth 62.8
Table 55.0
Crown 15.7
Pavilion 43.2
Girdle MEDIUM TO THICK FACETED
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE

Diamond #3:

Weight 1.58 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color H
Clarity SI2
Measurements 7.57 - 7.47 x 4.63 mm
Depth 61.7
Table 58.0
Crown 13.7
Pavilion 44.1
Girdle MEDIUM TO SL. THICK FACETED
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE

wink2.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would take #2. Considering EGL track record for over grading diamonds and they are calling #1 & #3 SI2 plus #1 has only a Fair symmetry, I would think that they might be even lower in clarity and symmetry which would be yuk. At least with a VS2 you have a very good chance that it is eye clean. You can probably get a better cut EGL for the same price.
dimonbob, GG
www.whiteflash.com

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm none? Just little things like the measurements being all over the place, thick girdle on the one is not super desirable, fair symmetry is not a great sign, good/good are not that hot either, etc.

But if you HAD to choose one...

I ran the HCA scoring using the %'s which are NOT as accurate as angles...so the #s below may be off as %'s cannot be relied upon for accurate HCA scoring...

Diamond 1: scored 1.4 TIC VG EX EX EX
Diamond 2: scored 1.7 TIC EX EX VG VG
Diamond 3: scored 3.6 VG--Only buy if price is right

I guess I'd get stone #1...if price was the same. The measurements mean that even though the ctw is smaller, the diamond LOOKS larger than the 2nd stone. But then again you have the fair symmetry..hmmm.....who knows. It's a tossup between #1 and #2. Esp also because you trade off color for clarity, etc.

BTW didn't you already buy your diamond, wasn't it the 1.64? If I recall it was a low price of around $6500. If that is the case..and all of these diamonds are priced at that level, that is EXTREMELY cheap..and I'd get things double checked before purchase, anything too good to be true usually is!!

Good luck...
2.gif

alicat

Rough_Rock
I only put down a DEPOSIT on the 1.64 ct diamond, but i called them and told them i wasn't 100% sure about it and they gave me the specs on the other two diamonds i listed if i was interested. all 3 diamonds are in the 6400-6500 range, which is pretty much what i want to spend. I know the prices sound low, Barmakian's is a very reputable jeweler so i'm not worried about getting taken for a ride

alicat

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your opinion! I think I'm leading towards #2 myself.

Will let you know which one i get and will post pics as soon as i can.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My two cents but reputable or not, you should still shop smart and get your purchase confirmed. Make sure that the EGL grading is correct and have an independent appraiser tell you what they think outside of the 'sales' arena. Just because a store has a great rep doesn't mean that you can't double check.

Good luck!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/13/2003 10:15:46 PM Mara wrote:

My two cents but reputable or not, you should still shop smart and get your purchase confirmed. Make sure that the EGL grading is correct and have an independent appraiser tell you what they think outside of the 'sales' arena. Just because a store has a great rep doesn't mean that you can't double check.

Good luck!

----------------

Mara...great idea on the appraisal. In fact, it's been suggested to Alicat several times that she should take it to an independent appraiser. She's posted about 6 threads on this diamond because she's having buyer's remorse.

Alicat, we can only offer so much because we haven't seen the diamond. Instead of driving yourself crazy this way, why don't you invest the $125 or $200 and have it appraised. You'll feel MUCH better about the stone, and you'll get an educated opinion from someone who can SEE it.

This is my last attempt on this diamond. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Incidentally, I'd also agree with Mara. I'd pick none of these....I'd keep searching and see if I could find an H, SI-1. More comfortable about the potential for being eye-clean there and would prefer the H color.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
DEFINATELY #2...
At VS 2 it has a good chance of being eye clean, despite the EGL report and the proportions seem to be in the AGS 0 range... The price is great, especially if you're buying locally, and that makes me a little suspicious... Just make sure you're actually buying an I VS 2, and not a J SI 1 or worse...
1.gif

Also, follow Mara's advice about the appraisal service!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes AL & Giangi, I agree...the price on these stones is SO LOW that regardless of who it comes from that it dings a really loud warning bell in my mind. It could just be a really great deal, but it could also not be...you won't really know more unless you get it checked out. An appraiser will either set your mind at ease, or save you from wasting your thousands on a mediocre stone.

However, bottom line is that for an excellently cut 1.64c H/I VS2/SI1 stone, that is an EXTREMELY low price. Around $5000 less than it *should* be. Sometimes when deals look too good to be true, they are. Why would an online vendor who operates on slim margins sell a well cut stone for $11k and an offline B&M vendor for $6k? Tricky....

Good luck and shop smart.

alicat

Rough_Rock
First of all, i'm sorry if i'm being annoying to some of you by posting questions and concerns on this diamond....i thought that's what this forum was for. I'm not having "diamond buyer's remorse" as its been said, sometimes it just feels reassuring to get other's people's views and support.
Secondly, i AM planning on getting an appraisal, but my boyfriend hasn't picked it up yet and doesn't want me to see it again until the actual proposal so I really can't do that right now. We are getting it appraised after he gets it (they have a 14 day unconditional return policy). so until then, i just wanted to see what you all thought.
In regards to the jeweler, my boyfriend's family has purchased all their jewelery there for the past 30 years and i have a lot of trust in them. My boyfriend and I have purchased at least $3000 worth of jewelry from them in the past 5 years so I really wouldn't think they'd try to rip me off that much, but again, we'll see after i get the appraisal. Again, I'm not sure why their prices are so low, but they are. Even the other 5-7 stones we looked at before picking the 1.64 stone were all in that same $6000-$7000 range.
Anyway, i won't post any more questions here because i don't feel comfortable anymore. I appreciate all the positive responses i've received from many of you and thank you for taking the time to reply.

Alicat

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
What are you talking about? If you don't want advice don't ask for it! It's so simple!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results