shape
carat
color
clarity

Which (mostly) matching pair of CBIs would you select?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I'm not able to get exactly the ones I had wanted, so these will be somewhat temporary (though temporary for me usually lasts waaaay longer than I anticipate -- so I want to be happy with them!)

I've narrowed it down to these two (mostly) matching pairs. Does anyone see anything concerning in either of them? Which one would you select? The price difference between them doesn't matter to me.

Pair One:

Pair Two:

Thanks!

Reactions: AV_

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the first pair. Are these gonna be earrings? if yes then I'd go with the first pair because the diameters are closely matched. I want my earrings to be closely matched in diameters, it is a "mind thing" for me. :lol:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For you, the Ds :D I think you will be bothered by E+F. I am not bothered by color but it drives me crazy when things don't match, and I can tell when earrings don't match even subtly when I see myself in the mirror. If I can, you definitely can. The size difference is so minimal, I don't think you will be able to see that. I am much better able to spot minor color differences on my ears in the mirror than minor size differences.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@Dancing Fire Yes, they will be earrings.

That's my dilemma (what you both have pointed out.) One pair isn't super matched in size, the other pair isn't super matched in color. I prefer D color, no doubt, but I'm not super happy with all the feathers in the .7 D (mind clean issue.) Also what's going on with the images of the Ds? Does anyone else see a couple weird things? I'm guessing its just not a great pic and not the diamond, but it still kind of concerns me.

Also, I really wanted 6 mm, which neither of these pairs are, but the E/F pair is slightly larger.

First world problems! :roll: I know I'm incredibly lucky to be able to purchase either of them, and CBIs are gorgeous diamonds, so I know I will be happy.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you asked them about new stones coming in? Maybe if you were willing to wait a bit you would find a pair that were more suitable to you. Course you could buy and enjoy one of these pair now and trade them in later. I too prefer the diameters to be as close as possible in earrings even though it may not be that noticeable on the ears.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doubtful a normal person would see 0.10mm difference when each stone is mounted in your ears. In real world speak, that is about the thickness of a sheet of copy paper.

Reading one of your other threads, it appears you have super woman vision so this may bother you.

However, I feel the color would be more bothersome. If you can see variance in D to E, I think you will see it more easily in E to F and that would drive me bonkers personally.

All that said, I prefer the 34.4/40.7 and 56 table and 61.5ish depths of the E/F combo more than the 34.3/40.8 and wider variance in table & depth of the D/D combo. Although CBI swears those are just numbers and each stone performs the same. Still, it's a mental thing.

With exception to the color, I prefer the E/F combo.

But honestly, knowing me I'd wait until something got closer to my desires.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would these ACA's be any good for you, or do you prefer to stay CBI?

Very similar specs, color & weight/spread. Also gets you right to the 6mm mark.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Doubtful a normal person would see 0.10mm difference when each stone is mounted in your ears. In real world speak, that is about the thickness of a sheet of copy paper.

Reading one of your other threads, it appears you have super woman vision so this may bother you.

However, I feel the color would be more bothersome. If you can see variance in D to E, I think you will see it more easily in E to F and that would drive me bonkers personally.

All that said, I prefer the 34.4/40.7 and 56 table and 61.5ish depths of the E/F combo more than the 34.3/40.8 and wider variance in table & depth of the D/D combo. Although CBI swears those are just numbers and each stone performs the same. Still, it's a mental thing.

With exception to the color, I prefer the E/F combo.

But honestly, knowing me I'd wait until something got closer to my desires.

I don't see either pair as what I really want to be honest. Yes, I will definitely see the variance between the D/E pair and it will bother me. I try to tell myself that no-one else will notice it (I know I'm an oddity) so I can live with these until a better pair come along. But that makes my heart sink a bit. In the other pair, the D/D combo, I just don't like the 0.7 one. And both pairs are smaller than what I was hoping for.

Gosh I sound like a primadona -- sorry! I'm just not thrilled by either pair. I'm trying to make one fit but neither really do. I guess that's my answer.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Custom cut? Don't know if that is possible for pairs, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

ETA: you can always buy from two differnet vendors when trying to match. I've done it for earrings...more work but you might get what you want.

cheers--Sharon

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
HI:

Custom cut? Don't know if that is possible for pairs, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

ETA: you can always buy from two differnet vendors when trying to match. I've done it for earrings...more work but you might get what you want.

cheers--Sharon

I already asked, but no go for under 1 ct. I would LOVE to have placed an order for two beautiful D VS1 0.8s.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I already asked, but no go for under 1 ct. I would LOVE to have placed an order for two beautiful D VS1 0.8s.

oh bummer - I too was wondering if you could get a custom cut pair.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phooey. Dream earrings.

VS1 not so difficult; D's (variables), yes.

A timeline?

cheers--Sharon

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I remember that HPD often has extra stones somewhere on a 'pipeline' - perhaps the required pair of D can be had. I see no reason to settle - these things are just for pleasure.

___

digressing: since reading one of your recent posts, I keep wondering how you see these colors. Difficult to immagine!

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if BGD Black would cut a pair in that size?

I would need to see BG Black first (I've not seen them in person yet) because I would need to know their cut's "personality" before I commit to anything.

Also, BG's upgrade policy is a bit more tricky. And, don't hate me here, but the 0.8 D VS1s that I'm currently lusting after are my "starter" studs -- what I want down the road is 1 ct D VS1s in each ear. If I understand correctly, to do a BGD upgrade, you need to go up in two categories, (size, color or clarity) and if I start with a D VS1, than my goal earrings have just gotten way more expensive because they will need to be in the VVS range to upgrade. My "mind clean" happy clarity is VS1, I don't really want to pay for VVS.

Actually I've been wearing "starter studs" for the last 20 years given to me by an ex-husband, so what I mean is that these 0.8's I'm after are my "starter SUPER IDEAL studs." I've saved 10K for this project so far, so I could either wait and keep saving, or get something now that I know I will upgrade down the road.

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@AV_ Already peeked down the pipeline, no diamonds hiding :(

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Does it make sense to get a HPD pair that goes further beyond your comfort zone, for a trial run? To me, matching color and cut perfectly & letting clarity run as it were makes sense, and may result in a pair of the right size today [D/VVS, D/I1 dare I say]. Then, time will tell.

2p

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wife's e-ring stone came from BGD, and you are spot on with the upgrade policy -- $1 more + upgrade 2 of the following 3 C's: carat weight, color or clarity.

So in your case, color is maxed and that leaves carat weight and clarity (VVS+). If you upgrade once, the dollars between VS1 and VVS2 may not be astronomical; however, if you go beyond that you are pretty much screwed.

With your situation and goals, I would not recommend BGD.

Also, looking at the HPD site I narrowed to 0.70+ E+ VS2+ and wanted to share the results about possibly going bigger now. There is a STEEP jump as you surpass the 0.85ish mark. Almost double or more depending which color/clarity combo you find.

Since you "only" have $10k saved for this project, that pretty much eliminates that possibility.

Even if you could expand your budget I see the 3 highlighted stones as potential contenders, but really the 1.07 and 1.09, both D/VS1, as your preferred target. Yet looking at the proportions they aren't twinkies and I know you want them to match as close as possible. The VS2 I'm afraid will give your mind clean perception a heart attack.

If you like the personalities of the ACA's that seems to be the most feasible option right now. Otherwise, wait and save for another day.

CaptureHPD.PNG

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would need to see BG Black first (I've not seen them in person yet) because I would need to know their cut's "personality" before I commit to anything.

Also, BG's upgrade policy is a bit more tricky. And, don't hate me here, but the 0.8 D VS1s that I'm currently lusting after are my "starter" studs -- what I want down the road is 1 ct D VS1s in each ear. If I understand correctly, to do a BGD upgrade, you need to go up in two categories, (size, color or clarity) and if I start with a D VS1, than my goal earrings have just gotten way more expensive because they will need to be in the VVS range to upgrade. My "mind clean" happy clarity is VS1, I don't really want to pay for VVS.

Actually I've been wearing "starter studs" for the last 20 years given to me by an ex-husband, so what I mean is that these 0.8's I'm after are my "starter SUPER IDEAL studs." I've saved 10K for this project so far, so I could either wait and keep saving, or get something now that I know I will upgrade down the road.

That makes sense... hahhaha no PSer will hate for knowing you want to go even bigger one day! If you're planning on that then you're right that BGD is not for you given your spec requirements. I didn't know if these were your forever studs or just the starters.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
My wife's e-ring stone came from BGD, and you are spot on with the upgrade policy -- $1 more + upgrade 2 of the following 3 C's: carat weight, color or clarity.

So in your case, color is maxed and that leaves carat weight and clarity (VVS+). If you upgrade once, the dollars between VS1 and VVS2 may not be astronomical; however, if you go beyond that you are pretty much screwed.

With your situation and goals, I would not recommend BGD.

Also, looking at the HPD site I narrowed to 0.70+ E+ VS2+ and wanted to share the results about possibly going bigger now. There is a STEEP jump as you surpass the 0.85ish mark. Almost double or more depending which color/clarity combo you find.

Since you "only" have $10k saved for this project, that pretty much eliminates that possibility.

Even if you could expand your budget I see the 3 highlighted stones as potential contenders, but really the 1.07 and 1.09, both D/VS1, as your preferred target. Yet looking at the proportions they aren't twinkies and I know you want them to match as close as possible. The VS2 I'm afraid will give your mind clean perception a heart attack.

If you like the personalities of the ACA's that seems to be the most feasible option right now. Otherwise, wait and save for another day.

CaptureHPD.PNG

I know, I've been drooling over those $13K D VS1 CBIs for awhile now! They are my goal. *sigh*

Who wants to buy one of my kidneys? Any takers?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Does it make sense to get a HPD pair that goes further beyond your comfort zone, for a trial run? To me, matching color and cut perfectly & letting clarity run as it were makes sense, and may result in a pair of the right size today [D/VVS, D/I1 dare I say]. Then, time will tell.

2p

I would if I could, but sadly, there just aren't two of any clarity in my color/size range that match! :cry2:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Just raid your savings or sell some investable assets.
It is not every day that there are D-VS1 matched CBI pairs available.

Sooooooooo tempting. :kiss2: I am in love with them. Why am I so naughty??!!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Not naughty at all. You enjoy high color high clarity, go for it! Imo most ladies prefer size, you and I prefer high color.

Looking forward to seeing your beautiful collection some day at a CBI event. I will have to put on sunglasses!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results