shape
carat
color
clarity

Which diamond would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hazeghi

Rough_Rock
I''m having a problem deciding between two diamonds:

1: 0.75ct, F color, VVS2 clarity, H&A
Clarity: 2 small clouds
2: 0.83ct, F color, VS2 clarity, H&A
Clarity: A crystal in the center, and a small feather coming from the girdle

The cut is excellent on both, and both have Excellent symmetry and polish as graded by GIA. They are similarly priced. (I''m leaving out the cut info because that''s not what I''m focusing on... it''s excellent in both).

My question is, all things equal except size and clarity, what is the best diamond? The 0.83 carat worries me a little with the crystal and the feather. The 0.75 carat is, well, smaller. I cannot personally inspect these diamonds since they are being sold on the internet.

I have heard of some VS2 stones being borderline SI1, which concerns me about this diamond. Do you think the crystal will be visible, due to its position in the diamond? And what about the feather--could it cause problems later?

Thanks for the help,

Hazeghi

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Interesting you mention this!

Some times a VS2 can be a borderline SI1.

Some times an SI1 can be a borderline VS2.

Some times a VS2 can be a borderline VS1.

Some times a VS1 can be a borderline VS2.

Some times a VS1 can be a borderline VVS2.

Some times a VVS2 can be a borderline VS1.

Some times a VVS2 can be a borderline VVS1.

But all the time an expert is advised.

I thought we could have some fun!
9.gif

Kirk Konst

hazeghi

Rough_Rock
Okay, okay... you make a good point.
1.gif

I think that I'm really leaning towards the 0.83ct. It's bigger and and it's still eye clean.

Hazeghi

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree..I like the .83 carat. Why? Because it seems to have all of the basics down. If it is GIA graded, which I think you mention, they are pretty strict on their grading, so your VS2 is probably a pretty darn good VS2. If there is a crystal and a feather, they must be pretty small for GIA to grade it a VS2. If the crystal was larger the grade may have been bumped to an SI1. The feather I would not worry about as again..its a VS2. If it was an SI2 with a feather along the girdle, it may compromise the stone more, but with a VS clarity stone, you are paying a bit more of a premium over an SI stone to get the extra peace of mind. Plus the stone is bigger! We like bigger!
1.gif

I also wouldn't waste my $$ on a VVS2..thats almost Internally Flawless! Cool yeah...but value driven? No.

If you are worried about the feather I would get some insurance and forget about it but I don't think you need to worry. My stone is a very clean VS1, has a baby pinpoint off to the right of the table almost near the pavilion, and a series of small feathers in a cluster along one edge of the girdle. Could freak some people out I guess, but since it's a VS1 and we are getting insurance...I'm not losing sleep!
2.gif

Good luck!

hazeghi

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara!

I am definitely going to go with the 0.83 VS2. At the end of the day the 0.75 is going to look the same; it just costs more and is smaller!

Of course, both stones are of amazing cut quality... It's hard to believe that when I first starting shopping for diamonds I put cut at the bottom of the priority list because it seemed so... subjective. Plus, most jewelers kind of blow cut off as nothing too important. The HCA and everyone on PriceScope opened my eyes!!

Hazeghi

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Forgot to mention...make sure the crystal in the VS2 is a white crystal and not a dark one. Chances are it is white, as I think they are more common, but if it is white it will not be visible...darker may be tricky and you should definitely be sure it's not visible. Again..its a VS2 so I think that it would not have a dark visible crystal and be graded a VS by the GIA, but just confirm. If you can't see the stone..have the jeweler look for you. Good luck!!
1.gif
I'm sure it will be fine!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results