shape
carat
color
clarity

Which cuts show the most color?

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
All things being relatively equal if you had a stone that was around 1 carat (and I do understand that they face up differently) and "k" colored....which ones would look warmer? Would an RB look whiter than say an asscher? Does a pear show colors more than a cushion? Just curious, but I'd love to hear.

*clearly how well they're cut regardless of the shape can change the appearance too-but I'm more curious if in GENERAL you'd expect certain shapes to show more color.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think cuts with more and smaller facets do a better job of obscuring body color.
That would mean cuts with larger facets, like asscher and emerald cut, reveal body color more.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1319339185|3045734 said:
I think cuts with more and smaller facets do a better job of obscuring body color.
That would mean cuts with larger facets, like asscher and emerald cut, reveal body color more.

I agree, but I've also been told that princess cuts show body color more than rounds, and princesses are the epitome of small facets. So I'm kind of stumped. I had a J round and an I princess, both ideal cut, and I definitely saw more color in the round than the princess, but i'm not sure what I'd see if they were both the same color.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My experience tells me that the reasons different diamonds show color- or hide it- are complex- and are dependent on a number of factors.
Put together these complex factors and the result is that there are no consistent results that apply if we're considering shape as the determining factor.
So, not all ovals show more color than Emerald Cuts- for example.

Kenny's thought - that more facets- and smaller ones- hides color is disproved by the percentage of fancy colored diamonds with small virtual facets- also known as crushed ice.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
mrs. taylor|1319337356|3045719 said:
All things being relatively equal if you had a stone that was around 1 carat (and I do understand that they face up differently) and "k" colored....which ones would look warmer? Would an RB look whiter than say an asscher?

In this part of your post you appear to referring to body color.

Does a pear show colors more than a cushion? Just curious, but I'd love to hear.

In this sentence as to which shows more "colors" you appear to be inquiring about dispersion. 2 entirely different subjects.

*clearly how well they're cut regardless of the shape can change the appearance too-but I'm more curious if in GENERAL you'd expect certain shapes to show more color.

I'll assume we're talking body color and not colors of dispersion.

The shapes "in general" that will show more body color in the face up position are those that are generally very leaky. Those shapes being pear, oval and marquise, many princess cuts & cushions would also fall into this category. This is also something which I have demonstrated and can easily demonstrate in diamond cuts that exhibit leakage vs those that have superior optics. I know I have some examples in video with both cushions and princess cuts where there is a perceivable difference in color when in fact if you put them side by side against a flat white background you'd see no color difference. It's also why you hear gemologists and knowledgeable consumers mention how cut quality can improve the face up color (or the perception of the color) in a diamond. In pears, ovals and marquises it is nearly impossible to eliminate the extraneous leakage that exists in the tips/ends of those diamonds and why "in general" they will retain and show their color moreso than other shapes. Next time you get to look at an I or J colored pear/oval/marquise you can easily note how the color is more pronounced at the tips/ends of those diamonds as opposed to the belly/center.

Regards,

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
thank you Rhino! You are always so helpful-I will go sift through some of your videos. Indeed I was talking about body color-sorry for any confusion!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Rockdiamond|1319404377|3046049 said:
My experience tells me that the reasons different diamonds show color- or hide it- are complex- and are dependent on a number of factors.
Put together these complex factors and the result is that there are no consistent results that apply if we're considering shape as the determining factor.
So, not all ovals show more color than Emerald Cuts- for example.

Kenny's thought - that more facets- and smaller ones- hides color is disproved by the percentage of fancy colored diamonds with small virtual facets- also known as crushed ice.

leave it to me to try and simplify things. Of course, this answer makes complete sense. Thank you for taking the time to answer. I'm excited about a certain stone and got curious as to how the shapes compare with regards to color. Guess I'll just sit tight and see for myself!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it depends a bit on how well cut the individual stone is BUT... I have seen VERY tinted J royal asschers and seen very white K OECs and rounds.

I think at one carat you have a better chance of 'equalizing' the colors. But I would stay away from marquise and pears as the points do concentrate colors.

I would avoid radiants all together if you want a whiter appearance.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, thank you. I'm one of those odd balls that don't mind a bit of color in stones. I love love LOVE the warmth. As it turns out I am waiting on a pear in a lower color and have never seen one in real life. I'm 100% certain I'm going to adore it and it is under a carat so I think that tends to change the game a bit anyway. But as I was talking to a friend about it and sharing my excitement I realized I've no frame of reference for how different shapes handle body color so I figured....what better place to ask? You always see great answers here!

I suspect my next stone will be an asscher, which is one of the reasons I would batting this about in my head. There aren't very many places around here to see different cuts, let alone any stone below an H. I went into a high end jeweler to check out an asscher in person and was told that a. they didn't carry those as they aren't popular, b. that they "actually aren't a step cut" which I'm still scratching my head over and c. that "you really need to stay above an H to have a nice looking stone, and even that's pushing it. You buy any lower and it's not investment quality." EYEROLL. I'm pretty sure nothing in that store, nice as it is, is investment quality.

So I need to edu-ma-cate myself via the interwebs where people actually KNOW stones, don't discriminate, and if they make stuff up they get called on it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oy. That store is one to avoid!

I like warmth too. But only to a point, I recently discovered. At M-N I get twitchy then at Q I am happy again (as a light fancy type diamond).

If you live within a couple hours of a bigger city, you can always post here to ask for good stores for browsing and make an appointment and tell them what you are looking for. They appreciate the courtesy of an appointment and will have lots for you to look at.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps totaly outside with my answer but OEC show colors like any other cut IMO.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1319413545|3046162 said:
Oy. That store is one to avoid!

I like warmth too. But only to a point, I recently discovered. At M-N I get twitchy then at Q I am happy again (as a light fancy type diamond).

If you live within a couple hours of a bigger city, you can always post here to ask for good stores for browsing and make an appointment and tell them what you are looking for. They appreciate the courtesy of an appointment and will have lots for you to look at.

yes, that would be a better way to go! lol! I'm not anywhere near ready yet and am just super psyched about my little project. I don't think I'd go on that tour until I was near ready to pull the trigger. And when I do I'll be pulling a Breakfast at Tiffany's at DBL. Mark my words-I'll be there as it opens with my pastry and coffee in a Givenchy just to say I did. AND I'll spend the years until that happens cultivating a mid atlantic accent.

Interesting about your twitch point. Huh. I'd like to experience stones in person to find out where mine is!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results