shape
carat
color
clarity

Where would you go

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
for a 4-7 day vacation in September or October? Someplace relaxing where you wouldn't necessarily feel compelled to do a lot of sightseeing. Someplace other than New England since we live near Boston and have been to a lot of places around here.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
A cabin in Tennessee, in the heart of the blue ridge mountains. If you plan it away from Pigeon Forge, there's no reason to go site seeing because the sights are right outside on your balcony. You'll get the leaf color changes. Most have an indoor jacuzzi.

A dude ranch in Colorado/Wyoming/Montana/Texas. You'll get to enjoy your own little cabin, you can go on trail rides, relax by a pool, eat a home cooked meal.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I love all things Santa Fe, and the environs, I would go here. I have had this lodging described in glowing terms by another Santa Fe lover, and it just sounds wonderfully restful and low-stress. And of course Santa Fe is near should you get restless and want to actually DO some sightseeing. There is a bunch to see there, great art, fab spas, great food, beautiful churches, and nice museums.

http://www.ranchojacona.com/

April20

Ideal_Rock
Asheville, NC. If you go in October you could catch the fall leaves. The heat will have broken... It's beautiful! There are tons of great restaurants and shops and you can just be......

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
For relaxation? Probably Aruba. It's out of the hurricane belt so it's a safe bet in September, it's relatively inexpensive, you can get a straight flight, I love the beaches and what's more relaxing than sitting on a warm beach for a few days before hibernating for winter?

mogster

Shiny_Rock
What are your interests and rough budget? Do you want to keep the trip domestic? Do you like nature? Wine? My first thought was a B&B trip to Napa - you can taste wines, go to a spa, and ride bikes.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Charleston,SC... Quaint, shopping, restaurants :)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seattle or San Fran maybe?

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with either Charleston, SC or Napa Valley CA - both would be relaxing and beautiful....my husband and I had our honeymoon in Napa and it was delightful, and most of all relaxing. We did wine tours most days, but a lot of nights we called it a night early and got a lot of rest - it's a great spot. Plus October is the harvest, so the scenery is beautiful!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1314733688|3005617 said:
Charleston,SC... Quaint, shopping, restaurants :)

I thought of Charleston as well!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Or Beaufort SC or the islands off Charleston -- Kiawah, Sullivan's, Daufuskie, etc. Eat shrimp, wander around an art gallery, sit on the beach & zzzzzz.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lake Lure, NC. It will be gorgeous that time of year. Check out a place called Rumbling Bald...it has golf, spa, pools, mini golf, outdoor checkers/chess, restaurants on site, etc. You can rent a hotel room, condo or home, so there are plenty of options and price ranges. Or, if I wanted to fly to the other coast, I think Sonoma Valley would be gorgeous that time of year (not sure though, so hopefully someone else can chime in)...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1314731163|3005576 said:
For relaxation? Probably Aruba. It's out of the hurricane belt so it's a safe bet in September, it's relatively inexpensive, you can get a straight flight, I love the beaches and what's more relaxing than sitting on a warm beach for a few days before hibernating for winter?

That's what I'd choose too. I've never been to Aruba but I've heard it's great. I'd either go there or another tropical destination that's not in the hurricane belt.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nantucket. I have always wanted to go there. It sounds perfect for a getaway, the weather will still be warm and you will avoid
the crowds, plus the rates will be a bit lower. Perfect.

oops, I just re-read your post and said you weren't intersted in New England. How about Wyoming?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
mogster|1314731278|3005580 said:
What are your interests and rough budget? Do you want to keep the trip domestic? Do you like nature? Wine? My first thought was a B&B trip to Napa - you can taste wines, go to a spa, and ride bikes.

If the place is in driving distance then we could probably go up to $500/night. If we would need a flight and possibly a rental car then probably no more than $250-300/night.

Museums and tours are fun as is poking around in interesting shops. Sitting outside with a good book, not necessarily on the beach but someplace peaceful. Good food and wine are important too.

ETA: Thank you all for the suggestions so far! I was definitely pondering the Charleston area. And if you have any specific hotels you recommend (for Charleston or any other area) that would be a plus.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1314740082|3005720 said:
NewEnglandLady|1314731163|3005576 said:

That's what I'd choose too. I've never been to Aruba but I've heard it's great. I'd either go there or another tropical destination that's not in the hurricane belt.

Ditto-it's on our list for the same reasons for this fall. Plus if you don't feel like sight-seeing, a beach vacation is perfect!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I would go to the Jersey shore off season. It is quiet down there and you can rent a place cheaply. I would recommend Cape May and if you wanted you could always go down to Atlantic City to do some gambling or catch a show.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I'm from Charleston - I recommend it more as a spring destination especially if you're from New England. Springtime in Charleston is SO much nicer than up north. New England has better autumns. :)

If you don't mind a little New Age-y, Harbin Hot Springs in the Napa Valley area is really beautiful and relaxing with pools, saunas, hot tubs, massages, etc. The gorgeous hidden private cottages are really nice. You'd have to be OK with nude bathing but other than that, you won't notice anything more New Age-y unless you run across a morning yoga session or a couple of people meditating when you go on the walking trails. It's very quiet which is very nice and relaxing.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for Charleston, SC

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kismet|1314742717|3005757 said:
mogster|1314731278|3005580 said:

If the place is in driving distance then we could probably go up to $500/night. If we would need a flight and possibly a rental car then probably no more than $250-300/night.

Museums and tours are fun as is poking around in interesting shops. Sitting outside with a good book, not necessarily on the beach but someplace peaceful. Good food and wine are important too.

ETA: Thank you all for the suggestions so far! I was definitely pondering the Charleston area. And if you have any specific hotels you recommend (for Charleston or any other area) that would be a plus.

If you do choose Charleston, I loved staying at the Elliot House - i'ts a beautiful older hotel with private rooms (not plush new ones, but beautifully decorated). Every day they have complementary cheese and wine in the courtyard and they have complementary bikes you can take to ride around the city/town. I would stay there again in a minute!

http://www.elliotthouseinn.com/

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you really want something unspoiled by civilization and are not afraid of a cross-country flights (there is a red-eye flight from Boston to Seattle), go to Olympic Peninsula. There are hot springs and resorts built on a lake. Rooms with no I-net, cell phone service or TV. (You can get the cell calls, of course, you just have to drive a mile away from the place). Fishing is allowed, but not from a boat. The water in the lake is the cleanest I ever saw. The food is excellent and all you need to do is soak in a hot spring and read a book sitting near the lake.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
crasru|1314815844|3006570 said:
If you really want something unspoiled by civilization and are not afraid of a cross-country flights (there is a red-eye flight from Boston to Seattle), go to Olympic Peninsula. There are hot springs and resorts built on a lake. Rooms with no I-net, cell phone service or TV. (You can get the cell calls, of course, you just have to drive a mile away from the place). Fishing is allowed, but not from a boat. The water in the lake is the cleanest I ever saw. The food is excellent and all you need to do is soak in a hot spring and read a book sitting near the lake.

That sounds like heaven.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1314820226|3006629 said:
crasru|1314815844|3006570 said:

That sounds like heaven.

Ditto that. I would love something like this, but I'm afraid my husband would go absolutely bonkers.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nashville, I adore Nashville!!!!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
South Beach in Miami. There are nice beaches, and great food all along one main road. If you get want to go shopping, there's Coral Gables nearby, but it's best just to relax and enjoy the great food.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
ame|1314734978|3005647 said:
Seattle or San Fran maybe?

Yes, San Fran...weather is perfect then!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results