shape
carat
color
clarity

Where would you go in NYC to try on rings?

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
So, future hubby and I are going to have some free time together next week, and I'd like to try on wedding rings. For me, I want to try on different bands to see what I like best with my ring. I'm looking at bands available with different shapes and I also want to see how blue sapphires might look with my ering (probably not great, I suspect, but I still want to see). For him, I'd like to figure out his ring size and the kind of band he wants. This is purely be a try on/gather information trip though - no purchases yet. Where in NYC would you go for something like this if you aren't actually planning to purchase yet? I thought of IDJ, but since they're not really a storefront, I thought it might be weird.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Old Gold

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IDJ has a store front. I sent my friends there a few months ago.

I used to pop in all the time until i stopped working in the city in 2011. They are my go to for in person shopping because they are SO MUCH FUN - like your extended family (the ones you want to be related to :lol: )

If you make it to Long Island, GOG is good. I like the pizza place in their shopping center - A LOT!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For wedding bands, I'd go to Tiffany & Co. - even if you don't plan to buy from them, they have a variety of bands with known widths, and they also have some alternating diamond/blue sapphire bands. They also can size your husband and should have several styles/widths available in his size for him to try on.

ID Jewelry will also have a lot of bands you could try.

[Me personally, if I was only looking at wedding bands, I wouldn't go all the way out to Good Old Gold's store.]

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! Tiffanys is a great suggestion - I'm not sure why I didn't think of it myself. We won't make it out to LI to go to GOG, although I'd love to visit them someday! Is the Suite 305 also the storefront for IDJ or is there another location? If it's Suite 305, I feel pretty dumb since I've actually been there...I guess since it's up on the 3rd floor, it seemed more office-y/"by appt.only" to me. :oops:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
girlyglam|1456513181|3996157 said:
Thanks everyone! Tiffanys is a great suggestion - I'm not sure why I didn't think of it myself. We won't make it out to LI to go to GOG, although I'd love to visit them someday! Is the Suite 305 also the storefront for IDJ or is there another location? If it's Suite 305, I feel pretty dumb since I've actually been there...I guess since it's up on the 3rd floor, it seemed more office-y/"by appt.only" to me. :oops:
I was told to stop by any time, except if I wanted to come by on a Sunday - just check in on Friday to make sure they're opened that Sunday. I know they changed locations - I believe this one is bigger, but I don't think it has changed to by appointment only. My friend would stop by whenever he could get a lunch break at work while he was picking out the e-ring.

Heck - give them a call - better safe than sorry. :wavey:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greenwich Jewelers carries Beverley K and will have the pretty little bands that would work with your ring. I highly recommend going there.

erislynn

Shiny_Rock
marymm|1456510555|3996141 said:
They also can size your husband and ...

I'm sorry but this sounded kinda wrong. lol I know, I'm terrible... >_<

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would also go to IDJ but if you must go over the weekend, go when they first open. The place is very small. We were in the office and enjoyed being in that room as compared to the adjacent storefront room. They have a great selection of rings to chose from. I would also go to Tiffany's too. If you go to IDJ, they close early on Fri and are closed on Sat.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1456526733|3996281 said:
Greenwich Jewelers carries Beverley K and will have the pretty little bands that would work with your ring. I highly recommend going there.
+1!! Also, Greenwich has a wide selection of men's wedding bands (much more variety than at, e.g., IDJ or Tiffany) for your FH to "audition" & it's an all-around great B&M jewelry store. But if you have flexibility in your schedule, avoid Saturday, Sunday, and weekday lunchtimes when it's typically most crowded (or shoot for when they first open on Sat-Sun mornings):
http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/visitus

Wishing you two much fun on this very special "window shopping" visit to NYC!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to add that I usually recommend Tiffany for someone with a classic e-ring setting, but she has an antique style setting and I think Greenwich is the best place in NYC for her to go for antique style bands. Most regular jewelry stores will not have a good selection of the style of band she needs. (The one exception at Tiffany is the Legacy band, which does have the milgrain edge, and happens to be what I have!)

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
girlyglam|1456508306|3996116 said:
So, future hubby and I are going to have some free time together next week, and I'd like to try on wedding rings. For me, I want to try on different bands to see what I like best with my ring. I'm looking at bands available with different shapes and I also want to see how blue sapphires might look with my ering (probably not great, I suspect, but I still want to see). For him, I'd like to figure out his ring size and the kind of band he wants. This is purely be a try on/gather information trip though - no purchases yet. Where in NYC would you go for something like this if you aren't actually planning to purchase yet? I thought of IDJ, but since they're not really a storefront, I thought it might be weird.

Sounds like a fun trip - happy hunting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results