shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to start with LR/DR window dressings (for design enthusiasts)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2009 2:02:22 PM
Author: janinegirly
So DH tells me we do have crown molding, but that it is barely noticeable in the photo as it is not painted in a contrasting color (it''s blending in with the wall color). We need to have it painted, or do you think more is needed?

This is why we like to paint our molding a glossy white and the ceilings antique white or a lighter version of the wall color. It really makes the crown pop. There are ways to beef it up w/o replacing all of the molding. One idea is installing quarter round a few inches below your crown and paint it all white. Fools the eye to think it is one larger piece of molding.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the ideas. DH painted the entire house and didn''t get around to the moldings. We''ll have to return to it since the wall color was originally a mustard yellow (yup!) so maybe that''s why previous owners chose this shade.

I hadn''t thought of adding to this current molding...thanks for the tips

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
so just to upate, i ordered a bunch of "samples" from Country Curtain to at least get started (they make it very easy). Looking at gold silk, some floral and one that is a toned down red. It''s hard to find the perfect pattern when it''s pre-made. With our windows being larger sized, I''m thinking we''ll have to go with panels (I imagine panel on one window and valance on the other in the same room is a no- no).

Also DH wants to add marble to the fireplace (the black area). We are debating black marble (with white specs) or a tan version. I prefer black but as usual, I''m the conservative one!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Ok..so out of the samples the below 3 were the ones that looked like possibilities. Curious what others think--if not for these exact curtains, maybe a similar style? Choice # 1 is in the red family. To me it's too matchy matchy with my LR, but it does certainly compliment the colors.

curtain1.jpg

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Choice #2: the sample looked better than expected. In this photo however, it looks like could be a bit busy, plus these are cotton curtains (which I would get lined).

curtaintwo.jpg

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
And lastly, these are silk and lined but I would have them in the gold shade, not this color displayed (they don''t have a picture in the gold). The boring but safe choice maybe?

curtain3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results