shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to set/mount a Round Diamond in the Bay Area?

epgoldie

Rough_Rock
this is my first time buying a diamont and i believe i'm going to end up buying the diamont and ring from 2 different places. i'm getting the ring from shane co and they said to mount a 1.5 carat diamond would be around $450. is that price high or reasonable or about right?

can anyone recommend a reputable and trustworthy place to do it in or around san francisco?

Thank you!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
where are you buying the diamond? and what type of setting are you looking for?

that mounting fee seems really high.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that seems outrageous. I have a 2+ carat stone and when I was looking at vendors for settings after I purchased the diamond most vendors were charging me $100 for setting fee. $450 is highway robbery. Are they trying to bully you into buying the stone from them too?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
You may want to try Joe Escobar in Campbell. I haven't had a ring set there but I've found them to be overall very straightforward and to operate with integrity.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely try Joe Escobar-- just call them and ask what they'd charge. That's a lot of money to set a diamond.

They are one of the best jewelers in the Bay Area. I've never had a complaint from sending someone to them.

epgoldie

Rough_Rock
slg47|1311039231|2971837 said:

probably gonna buy from james allen. round diamond. its a regular 4 prong setting.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I've also heard good things about Joe Escobar, but I can't back that up as I've never been there.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
epgoldie said:

probably gonna buy from james allen. round diamond. its a regular 4 prong setting.

have you asked james allen if you can send them the setting and can mount it?

epgoldie

Rough_Rock
centralsquare|1311083974|2972181 said:
epgoldie said:

have you asked james allen if you can send them the setting and can mount it?

yeah, they said they dont.

they would mount my own diamond if i bought a setting from them though.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
epgoldie|1311057415|2972002 said:

can you just get the setting from james allen?

Shane Co.

Rough_Rock
Trade
I think I might be able to shed a little bit of light on our mounting fees. The fact is that, we warranty our work, so if your diamond falls out due to our workmanship a couple years down the line and you've been coming in for regular clean and checks, we will replace it. This is quite similar to the lifetime warranty that we provide you for free if you bought the diamond and ring from us. The only difference is that we can't warranty a diamond that we didn't sell, so if for whatever reason (as highly unlikely as it might be) the diamond itself breaks (for instance; from hitting it against a counter, wall, etc.), it wouldn't be covered. That being said, if the diamond was purchased from us, we would cover it in that case as well under our free lifetime warranty. If you have any more questions please feel free to let me know. Thanks for picking out a setting from us!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results