shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to propose in Paris?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kentbrockman

Rough_Rock
It's my first trip to Paris (my girlfriend has been before), and plan to ask the Big Question there.

Any suggestions out there for a romantic spot? I know, the whole darned place is supposed to be romantic at every turn. But does anyplace REALLY stand out?

tayd

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 10/11/2002 10:55:23 AM

It's my first trip to Paris (my girlfriend has been before), and plan to ask the Big Question there.

Any suggestions out there for a romantic spot? I know, the whole darned place is supposed to be romantic at every turn. But does anyplace REALLY stand out?

----------------

While I haven't been to Paris before, I did come across this thread on diamondtalk about a proposal in Paris that may give you some suggestions. :) Thanks for the tip on the National Cathederal, by the way.

http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21231

Regards,
David

student

Shiny_Rock
My suggestion would be the Ile de la Cite on the bank of the Seine at night. It will be beautiful and private. Monmartre and the gardens of the Rodin museum are both lovely, but are crowded. Best of luck!

nineta

Rough_Rock
Places:
1. The Pont Neuf
2. The Place des Vosges in the evening
3. The Place of the Hotel de Ville
4. Montmatre (at the top)

Restaurants (if you prefer before/during/after dinner):
Any restaurant in the Ile de St. Louis

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Come on, any place in Paris is going to be romantic as hell.

But, try to find something off the beaten path. A place the tourist don't go. The last time I was in Paris I accidentally found this couryard, down a dank alley, where no tourist went. It was filled with Parisians, coffee shops a small mom and pop deli, restaurants noone knows about and painters and writers. It was my idea of Paris. Unfortunetly I do not remember exactly where it was, but I know there are other places like that where the town folk go to get away from tourist.

kentbrockman

Rough_Rock
Right. I know the whole darned city is romantic. But is there any one spot there you think stands head and shoulders above the oozing romance everywhere else?

And I agree, tourist-packed spots (top of Eiffel Tower, steps of Sacre Coeur) are definitely not an option.

Thanks!

nineta

Rough_Rock
Well, Montmatre is not only the Sacre Coeur. It's a whole area full of old quaint houses, narrow streets, green corners and gardens. Very cute and with stunning views over paris (not only over the Eiffel Tower).

Don't fall for the cliche!! It's empty in the evening, as tourists go back down to have dinner.

Btw, you have magnificent restaurants up there. Full of Parisians... :love:

golfer

Shiny_Rock
I was also thinking of doing the Paris proposal. Planning a trip in March. I was thinking Eiffel Tower... no? Benefit: easy to remember exactly where & tell people exactly where, plus it's famous, etc., and a nice view. I realize it will be packed with tourists but we could find a private moment on the top, right?

Any thoughts? I'd love to hear additional suggestions.

kentbrockman

Rough_Rock
Merci for all the ideas!

I ended up proposing on a dinner cruise on the Seine, as we passed under the Pont Marie (you are supposed to make a wish when you pass under it). She said "yes," so it looks like my wish came true!

Oh, and regarding the catacombs...I didn't read that post until returning today. It definitely was an interesting site, but I would rate it the second-worst place to propose in Paris (the first being the urine-soaked Metro stations).

:love:

golfer

Shiny_Rock
Kent,

Did you consider the Eiffel Tower? Any thoughts on proposing there?

prosecutrix

Rough_Rock
Trade
Eiffel Tower? I think that would be the last place in Paris that i would want to be proposed to at (below the catacombs). If anyone is looking for a really cool, intimate restaurant with great food, check out Le Coupe Chou. I stayed in France for 3 months this summer and managed to eat there 3 times during my visit. Completely incredible gourmet food. Also, the most charming place- lots of small rooms with fireplaces- very, very old. It is in the latin quarter. Check out the website

http://www.lecoupechou.com/index.php

I think this restaurant would be ideal if you are looking for something extermely romantic and intimate

Laura

Architect

Rough_Rock
If you want something that is less crowded and depending on the time of year you go, I would suggest going to Versailles (about a half hour trip on the train from Paris). They have an amazing garden that spans for acres and you can wander through several paths of trees, flowers, fountains and statues. In the gardens, there is a spectacular little restaurant that is very elegant and worthy of a proposal, very intimate. I went there last year but unfortunately I was there during the end of fall so the gardens weren't in bloom, but the view were still amazing with all the trees, ponds and everythign else. Good luck with your proposal...I am planning one in about 3 weeks :)

student

Shiny_Rock
That's a great suggestion, Architect. The gardens at Versailles are lovely, and some parts are very secluded. It's very nice pack a picnic lunch and bring it there.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results