shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to get ring set?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jpdoane

Rough_Rock
I am planning on buying a loose diamond online, and I like one of the settings that the site offers. It seems to me that it would be cheaper and more convenient to get the stone set by the diamond vendor (or their jewler). However, can the stone be appraised? Also I can''t really verify its performance through my ideal scope in a ring (or can I?) What are other pros and cons to getting the stone set by the online vendor?

Thanks
-Jon

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Unless you're talking about an IF or VVS 1/2 stone, most probably an appraiser won't have any problem in identifying the diamond.
1.gif
If the stone has a diamond report, then it could help the appraiser, but BE SURE to show it to the appr. only after the completion of his analisys. Then you'll be able to compare the grades and, should there be any major discrepancy (a 1 grade difference is still okay 'cause because the gemologists are humans and not computers
2.gif
) you can talk, ask explanations and so on.
1.gif

As for the IdealScope, the best person to answer your concerns will be Cut Nut, who created the IScope.
1.gif

jpdoane

Rough_Rock
I thought color couln't really be determined in the setting - Is this true?
Will an appraiser just give me a verification of the 4-cs, or will he also give me an approx value of the stone? Can he do all this without the cert,etc if its already set?

-Jon

Dave (re: appraisal issues), Gary (re: using the i-scope when set), any input from you guys?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Color won't be as accurate as loose, but if the appraiser is well trained, it won't have big problems in finding out the color. A split grade(eg. E/F) is acceptable for a set stone.
1.gif

An appraiser can give you a fair market value quotation or simply a verification of the data. You can choose whatever ya want.
1.gif

I would humbly suggest that you have your diamond appraised by an independent appraiser before you have it set. This is the only way to ensure an accurate appraisal of your diamond. Pricescope has a list of recommended appraisers, which they have conveniently categorized by State.

Cheers,

2.gif

jpdoane

Rough_Rock
Ok - Thats kind of what I was thinking. I figured that I could have the ring set locally, and then I would have a local point of cantact for maintenance, etc. Perhaps I will shop around here for a setting I like. Does anyone know what sort of markup to expect at a B&M jewler for a setting? Is it as much as a diamond? If I don't find a B&M setting that I like, what is a reasonable price to expect a jewler to set a stone in a setting thats not theirs? Will they even do it?

(Or I could send the stone back to the diamond vendor to be set after getting it appraised. It might be cheaper and easier. I don't know - any thoughts?)

Thanks
-Jon

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
If you want to have it appraised while it still is loose, then you can ask your dealer to send it to a reputable and well known appraiser. Most vendors will accept this request as long as you pay shipping and appraisal fees.
1.gif

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
Here's what I did:
#1 Bought diamond online
#2 Ordered setting locally
#3 Took diamond to local jeweler for appraisal right before setting arrived
#4 Diamond set

I didn't have to pay anything for the setting of the diamond, and they were going to charge me $75 (reg $150) for the appraisal. However, the jeweler just mailed the appraisal to me and never charged me for it. Oh and FYI this jeweler normally charges $1 per point to set a diamond. So, a 1.13 ct wt diamond would have been $113 to set.

jpdoane

Rough_Rock
I think I'm going to get the loose diamond shipped back to GOG to get set after its appraised at AGA. Any problem with never seeing the loose stone yourself? Any issues with buying a setting online (seems like it might be nice to have a local point of contact for maintenance issues - ie polishing/prong repair/etc). Anyone ever deal with Vatche? What sort/quality after the sale service do they offer?

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results