shape
carat
color
clarity

Where should I look for a great black dress?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I am a BM in a wedding this september and the bride wants us to wear a black dress of our choice. I''ve been searching websites but haven''t found ''the one'' yet.

Anyone have a favorite store, designer, site, etc. ? I was at BCBG this weekend (one of my faves!) but everything black was in that *very* short style --cute, but not quite sophisticated enough.

I am also going to be in NYC for a few days in august so i could look there. Suggestions for stores to try??

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
For dresses I like Ann Taylor and White House Black Market. Many have "celebrations" collections now which basically are BM''s dresses. I think Jcrew has this as well. Does it have to be full length? You always could look at a bridal store if it needs to be formal. Department stores are good too. Look at Nordstrom''s. I am sure NYC would be an awesome place to find something.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Tac! I just quickly checked out WHBM--and the home page says something like "Get back to Black" sweeet--i''ll check it out later.

No, doens''t have to be full length (phew), but tons of dresses are super short right now (i guess to be worn with dark tights ) so i was having trouble finding something that hits around the knee.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 10:15:10 AM
Author: Jas12
Thanks Tac! I just quickly checked out WHBM--and the home page says something like ''Get back to Black'' sweeet--i''ll check it out later.

No, doens''t have to be full length (phew), but tons of dresses are super short right now (i guess to be worn with dark tights ) so i was having trouble finding something that hits around the knee.

Both AT and WHBM have LOTS of knee length dresses. WHBM is great b/c most of their dresses (clothes) are white and black with a few neutrals thrown in. The dress I just bought from Loft comes in black but it might not be formal enough.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Tac! I just quickly checked out WHBM--and the home page says something like ''Get back to Black'' sweeet--i''ll check it out later.

Hey Jas - I gave my girls the same instructions and they stressed about it!! I thought I was making it easier!! haha

Anyways, they all bought from different places - one from WHBM in the States, my sister got a bridesmaid''s dress and the other two got them from the Bay and RW&Co. I figured since you are a Canadian I could help you with some of our stores.

Other places to look - Mendocino has a few black dresses but they are pretty short too I''d say. It might be pricy but check out Holt Renfrew too - a black dress is something you can wear again so paying a bit more for a nice dress might be worth it.

Also, there is a new mall if you make the trip to TO. The Shops at Don Mills just opened at Don Mills and Lawrence - it is an outdoor mall (like in the states) with some nice shops including Anthropologie. I don''t know if there will be any dresses in particular, but if you are coming down to shop you may as well check it out.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 3:03:19 PM
Author: october2008bride

Hey Jas - I gave my girls the same instructions and they stressed about it!! I thought I was making it easier!! haha

Anyways, they all bought from different places - one from WHBM in the States, my sister got a bridesmaid''s dress and the other two got them from the Bay and RW&Co. I figured since you are a Canadian I could help you with some of our stores.

Other places to look - Mendocino has a few black dresses but they are pretty short too I''d say. It might be pricy but check out Holt Renfrew too - a black dress is something you can wear again so paying a bit more for a nice dress might be worth it.

Also, there is a new mall if you make the trip to TO. The Shops at Don Mills just opened at Don Mills and Lawrence - it is an outdoor mall (like in the states) with some nice shops including Anthropologie. I don''t know if there will be any dresses in particular, but if you are coming down to shop you may as well check it out.

Crap just realized you are going to NYC - lots of places to check there!! I think the department stores are a good bed - some of them even had "the little black dress shop" where all the black dresses were in one place!! (I went to NYC before the wedding and went bm dress shopping too!!)

Good luck!!

PS I would just look for a dress that makes you feel beautiful - all of my girls had different dresses, different bodies and what stood out in the pictures is that they all looked comfortable and beautiful. People had warned me about different fabrics maybe not working together and it was no issue. My sister had taffeta, one had silky satin, one had chiffon and the other had a silk/satin. Looked perfect in pics!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw this and thought of you.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
October2008bride--awesome. I was on Bloor this weekend (went to check out BCBG, Zara, etc.) I really had to hold back on a visit to Holts. I''ll spend $300 at the very max and i am not sure if anything would be in that price range? Maybe i should check Holts Last Call in Vaughn....

Never thought about RW&co and didn''t make it to the Bay--so i''ll try both! I''ll also have to check out Don Mills--haven''t been yet!

I just bought two *super* cute dresses from Mendocino (non-wedding) but, ya, nothing forma/longl enough for a wedding in there (not great quality either)

I''ll have to tell the bride that you were happy with the variety of dresses. We were all wondering what the different fabrics etc. would look like. Glad to hear it wasn''t an issue.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Tacori--thanks! That dress is very nice--i don't know about the belt (i am liking belts right now, but not sure for BM) I'll have to ask the bride what her stance is on those kinds of details

Ellen--Great! Totally forgot about Dillards and you are right--tons of selection. I found a possible 'keeper' this dress
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 3:45:53 PM
Ellen--Great! Totally forgot about Dillards and you are right--tons of selection. I found a possible 'keeper' this dress
36.gif
Yay! That's a cute one! I was looking at longer length, as I thought that's what you wanted, hence my "longer" selections.
5.gif

Let us know if you end up with it!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jas12, figured it would look great with your tiny waist and so cheap!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Tacori--actually, i could use the belt cuz i am built kinda boxy. Love the waist cinching --i checked and the bride said we could really wear whatever so that''s good
36.gif

Ellen--you are right, ha ha, i was looking for longer wasn''t I ! *focus Jas12* okay, going back to look at your selections
3.gif
I guess i was just hoping that sweetheart top dress ( i thave a thing for that shape) was just on a tall model since i usually see the short dresses with a colored tight underneath--but it is summer, so probably just showing extra skin.

decisions decisions

Just saw that Dillards doesn''t ship to canada--ugh, hate that. I can ask an american friend to order for me, but that''s a PITA

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 8:55:27 AM
Tacori--actually, i could use the belt cuz i am built kinda boxy. Love the waist cinching --i checked and the bride said we could really wear whatever so that''s good
36.gif

Ellen--you are right, ha ha, i was looking for longer wasn''t I ! *focus Jas12* okay, going back to look at your selections
3.gif
I guess i was just hoping that sweetheart top dress ( i thave a thing for that shape) was just on a tall model since i usually see the short dresses with a colored tight underneath--but it is summer, so probably just showing extra skin.

decisions decisions

Just saw that Dillards doesn''t ship to canada--ugh, hate that. I can ask an american friend to order for me, but that''s a PITA
Oh poo. That would be a hassle, especially if the dress didn''t fit.... well, let us know how everything goes.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 8:55:27 AM
36.gif

3.gif

decisions decisions

There are SOOOOooo many great stores in Canada, that there really is no need to be shopping across the border. I will post a few links when time permits..but a basic black dress should be an easy find! Forever 21 has some great clothing and great prices..I will think of more when I find a few minutes (gotta go, my hunky husband just got in from work..
30.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hey there, don''t know if it''s too late to post, but I just wanted to mention that J. Crew does a whole line of "celebrations" dresses in various colors & fabrics, including lots of black. Otherwise, I agree with the other posters - White House Black Market, Ann Taylor, Dillards & Nordstrom online are great resources.

BTW, I love the idea of having the attendants choose their own dresses. My wedding was VERY small (I only had a maid of honor - no bridesmaids) and my MOH was so surprised that I didn''t want to pick her dress - I just wanted her to wear something that she loved, that looked beautiful on her. She insisted that I go shopping with her for the dress though, and we had a blast picking her dress. I think it''s a great idea to give a color & then have the ladies pick out dresses that flatter them.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 7:47:13 AM
Author: vespergirl
Hey there, don''t know if it''s too late to post, but I just wanted to mention that J. Crew does a whole line of ''celebrations'' dresses in various colors & fabrics, including lots of black. Otherwise, I agree with the other posters - White House Black Market, Ann Taylor, Dillards & Nordstrom online are great resources.

BTW, I love the idea of having the attendants choose their own dresses. My wedding was VERY small (I only had a maid of honor - no bridesmaids) and my MOH was so surprised that I didn''t want to pick her dress - I just wanted her to wear something that she loved, that looked beautiful on her. She insisted that I go shopping with her for the dress though, and we had a blast picking her dress. I think it''s a great idea to give a color & then have the ladies pick out dresses that flatter them.
Ditto - I''m about to be in my sister''s wedding, and I was salivating over how cute the J Crew celebrations dresses were.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jas - I went dress shopping this weekend and thought of you - there were a few cute black dresses at BCBG. You should check the next time you come down to Toronto. Vaughan Mills has an outlet I think.

Also, as far as Forever 21 goes, I wouldn''t recommend it. First of all, the clothes are pretty cheap looking and probably not age-appropriate IMO.

There is also a place in Toronto called "the Little Black Dress Shop". It is Queen and Bathurst area and has some pretty cute black dresses that would work for a bridesmaid dress.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2009 1:04:30 PM
Author: october2008bride
Hi Jas - I went dress shopping this weekend and thought of you - there were a few cute black dresses at BCBG. You should check the next time you come down to Toronto. Vaughan Mills has an outlet I think.

Also, as far as Forever 21 goes, I wouldn't recommend it. First of all, the clothes are pretty cheap looking and probably not age-appropriate IMO.

There is also a place in Toronto called 'the Little Black Dress Shop'. It is Queen and Bathurst area and has some pretty cute black dresses that would work for a bridesmaid dress.
I've never purchased, but alot of the clothes look cute. Tori Spelling had a fabulous bright green shirt on, and she told me (Twitter), that she got it there. I think her and I are close in age, but I believe age means nothing when it comes to fashion! Especially if you look younger than your biological age
31.gif
, age is just a number! Fashion is supposed to be fun!! If you've got the figure, and can pull it off..wear what makes you happy, what looks fabulous on you! Good luck with the dress shopping.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Forever 21''s quality is HORRIBLE! There is a reason it is so popular with teenagers...it is CHEAP! Beau, I am sure if you felt their clothes in person (or saw them) you would agree.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2009 4:27:46 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Forever 21''s quality is HORRIBLE! There is a reason it is so popular with teenagers...it is CHEAP! Beau, I am sure if you felt their clothes in person (or saw them) you would agree.

This is true. If you want a fun piece you don''t care much about, it''s a good place to look, but not for a nice black dress or a staple piece.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2009 4:27:46 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Agreed - a lot of their stuff is fine if you don''t want quality (i.e. accessories/tops/trendy stuff) but for a nice black dress even if you could find one there it would be terrible quality and probably way too short. Just my opinion.

Did you have any luck Jas?

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
In NYC, there is RK bridal, which has a fair selection of bridesmaids dresses: www.rkbridal.com

In addition, there''s the Lord and Taylor, Nordstrom''s, etc.

Depending on what days you are there and how much time you have the garment district (35th-38th Streets between 5th and 9th Aves) is open during business hours on weekdays and has a whole treasure trove of dresses that are sold at sample sales. (This is kind of a more hunter gatherer experience where you are pecking at clothes.)

Otherwise, just going down the 24th st stretch west of 5th is a good solid line of places to look for dresses.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results