shape
carat
color
clarity

Where in the world is Prague???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Another HUGE Prague fan here. I had a great time there and it is utterly lovely. My only complaint was all the tourists. But that was high summer, so you should be fine. Oh, and central european food ain''t my favourite. But who needs FOOD when you''ve got Czech BEER!

I haven''t read through the whole thread and I''m sure it''s mostly been covered, but just to say that there is NO REASON to worry about people not speaking the same language as you. Bring a notebook. You can draw, right? You can play charades? If I found my way through the middle of NOWHERE in places like Cambodia and Turkey, with no common language, you can get around a major cosmopolitan European city. Trust me. It is NOT that hard. And anyway, most Europeans speak at least two and often three or four languages. Czechs are likely to have German as their second language, but most younger people will likely speak some English. And yeah, just learn a few key phrases (please, thank you, how much is this? etc.) so that you look like you''re trying.

Have fun! I bet you''ll be blown away.
35.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another Prague lover here! We had an exchange student my junior year in high school from Prague and after I graduated my twin sister and I went to Europe and met up with her. We were there for 2 months and we went all over Europe, but we spent the most time in Prague. It''s my absolute favorite city in Europe! And the architecture is just gorgeous-I LOVE it there!

I don''t think you''ll have much trouble communicating, really. Like others have said, most of the younger residents will know English, and the rest you''ll be able to figure out with a Czech-English dictionary and hand gestures. Be sure to learn a few key phrases in Czech like "pardon me," "please," "thank you," "where is," "how much does it cost," etc.

I hope your passport comes through for you and you have a great time!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Prague is gorgeous!

I''d try and get one of the ''Eyewitness'' guide - it''s brilliant.

Re taking jewellery - only take what you can wear (as with any trip abroad). I have never had any problems anywhere in Europe that way - I was warned that Milan was notorious, I lived near there for 2 years and walked around all the time with nice jewellery and a normal handbag and never had anything nicked.

Bumbags are not good though - everyone I know who has been pickpocketed had one of those - it really marks you out as a tourist.

Food is ''interesting''...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2007 7:35:30 PM
Author: Pandora II
Prague is gorgeous!

Hmmm. . . not sure about the food! I''m going to pack a bunch of snacks so if worse comes to worse, I can live on goldfish crackers and beer! lol

How do I avoid pick pocketing? Should I just keep cash and a CC in my front jeans pocket rather than in my purse? Is that the safest place?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2007 7:57:52 PM
Author: MC

Prague is gorgeous!

Hmmm. . . not sure about the food! I''m going to pack a bunch of snacks so if worse comes to worse, I can live on goldfish crackers and beer! lol

How do I avoid pick pocketing? Should I just keep cash and a CC in my front jeans pocket rather than in my purse? Is that the safest place?
You can avoid looking like a target. Just be aware of what is going around you...especially if you are in a crowd.

I would not recommend sticking money and a cc in front of your jeans pocket, unless they are tight fits and the pocket runs deep. And even then, hard to say. In some countries the pick pockets are BALLSY. They will give it an attempt and if you catch them, they will just shrug and smile. Believe me, the local authorities really aren''t going to care that some tourist was pickpocketed.

I used an over the body purse that was small and light, with a sturdy strap. Always keep one hand on the purse, on top of the zipper (no easy access closures please.) As mentioned, no bumbags (we call them fanny packs in the U.S.) If you do go this route, don''t be absentminded and have the purse slip and hang in the rear...you might as well be wearing a fanny pack then. Only limited cash and one credit card in the bag.

Oh, and no expensive cameras dangling around the neck.

One thing you may not know MC...some people in the U.S. still have more than 4 digit pins from the old days. In Europe, 4 digits is often the max, so if you have a long PIN on your credit or debit card, change it before you go. If you remember it by letters, change it so it''s memorizable by numbers. ATMs there don''t have letters that I recall. Call your CC company BEFORE you leave and let them know you will be abroad. It''s a bummer to get there and try to pay for something, only to be declined...because good luck calling your bank to get the purchase approved.

Just use caution and don''t be overly worried. Personally I think you were in more danger on your trip to Southern California.
2.gif

Read that website I linked to...there is a whole section on scams.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2007 7:57:52 PM

Prague is gorgeous!

You''ll be able to get recognizable snacky food at the grocery stores there if worse comes to worse! I don''t really know much about the food because I stayed with our exchange student''s family and her mom cooked up AMAZING food every night! I only drank out out on a nightly basis!
3.gif

As for the pick pocketing thing, I think it''s a little exaggerated, but it definitely can happen. My Czech friend almost got pick pocketed when we were walking around in Prague because she had a backpack on her back. She noticed someone trying to open it as we were walking and yelled at him and scared him away. That''s the only time I''ve ever had a problem with it and I''ve been to Europe several times.

As long as you keep your money to the front of your body you should be fine. I''ve used one of those neck things that you hang around your neck and stick under your shirt or jacket and it worked like a charm for me. I''ve also just worn my purse over my shoulder but pushed towards my front, if that makes sense. That was fine, too.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
A neck pouch sounds good. I was starting to think my bra would be the best place to hide cash! lol

For a CC, I''m bringing the one I have with the lowest credit line (in case it gets lost) and am bringing a debit card that belongs to a spare account I have with just a few bucks in it, in case I run out of cash. It''s not my husband''s and my main account with our savings. Does that sound like a good route to go or would a back up credit card be a good idea?

thedreamer

Rough_Rock
ahh you are so very lucky to get the chance to go to Prague! I just got back (in May) after living there for four months. It is amazing, as everybody has stated, and I promise you that when you leave a little piece of Prague will stay in your heart forever. I encourage you to go to restaurants that aren't in old town square or Wenceslas because those are less authentically czech and are much more costly and honestly the czech restaurants with menus in czech offer amazing food at incredible prices. To give you perspective on cost I lived there for four months and also traveled(spain, poland, germany, england, france, netherlands, hungary, austria) on a budget of 1800 dollars. Beer is so incredibly cheap and delicious but again it is cheaper in middle class czech restaurants than in the touristy area. When I left in May, a half liter of Gambrinus cost from 18-24 crowns and the conversion was 21 crowns to a dollar. ( I admit I didn't read this whole thread because I was so excited to respond about Prague. . . so I'm sorry if this was already covered)

Going to Prague is something that I honestly think every person should do at least once in her life. I could gush about it forever. . . so I will stop myself before I become annoying
2.gif
but I just wanted to end by saying congrats on getting such an amazing opportunity and be glad that you are going in two weeks because that means you only have to wait two weeks to see one of the most beautiful places on earth!!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Prague is one of my favorite cities! I was there 15 years ago on a high school trip, so I can''t exactly remember all of the details of my trip but it''s a gorgeous city with lots to do and see. Definitely bring good walking shoes. I carried my money in a lightweight shoulder bag that I kept under my jacket. I felt perfectly safe that way. I went in the spring so I can''t comment on the weather but it looks like you''ve already had a lot of good recommendations.

The clock tower in the main plaza is fun to watch. It''s a funky kukoo clock. I believe the food is pretty close to German food, since Germany isn''t too far away.

I wish I could tell you all about my time there but it was only for a few days (we were actually headed home from Russia and we stopped in Prague before flying back to Boston).

Have a great time!! Will you post pics when you return?

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Prague is great, I was there last year. It''s even nice in the winter - a very charming medeival city. Definitely have dinner at Kampa Park on the river - it''s considered the best restaurant in the city, and when I ate there, I thought the food was excellent.

The Iron Gate Inn is a nice place to stay - not too expensive, right in the heart of the old town.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I forgot to mention, everybody there speaks English, so don''t worry about it if you don''t speak Czech.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, you gals are WONDERFUL. Great motivators
9.gif
If only you all could come with me, we''d have a great time!!!

Zoe - YES!!! Lots of pictures will be posted. I was kind of lazy about posting pictures of my CA trip, but this time around, it''ll be different as Prague sounds so amazing. The hotel reservations are being made on Monday and we''re staying close to the market, so I''ll be able to capture that area. Oh, and I''m buying a smaller digital camera since the one I have is big and bulky. Hopefully I can find a good one for under $200.

Oh, and I took the plunge and bought Ugg boots! lol I''ve never really thought of them as my style, but I found a pair of short ones that are a bit more hip. Well, possibly hip. I have no idea!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I am so excited for you MC!! What an awesome opportunity. Have fun and take lots of pictures! I would love to go to Prague some day.....

TGal, you are an amazing source of travelling information. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with everyone.
36.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2007 6:34:32 PM
Author: hlmr
TGal, you are an amazing source of travelling information. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with everyone.
36.gif
Yep, she is amazing!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2007 6:41:14 PM

Date: 11/16/2007 6:34:32 PM
Author: hlmr
36.gif
Yep, she is amazing!!!
That''s sweet of you ladies. Thank you. I love to talk travel, what can I say. I have to live vicariously through everyone here because armchair travel is the only thing I am going to be doing for awhile (minus my trip to Oz next month...but I consider that more "going home" now.) I can''t wait to see IG''s pics and stories from Peru and yours from Prague MC!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
MC, as a frequent traveler to odd places, I would like to encourage you to NOT bring snacks from home and to really immerse yourself into the local culture by not relying on things from home. For example, if you''re suddenly hungry, well, you have to interact with local folks to ask where a good place to eat is. And then you have to find that place, probably ask directions along the way, possibly finding detours that you''d otherwise not see or experience, and eat things you cannot get here in the US. You''re going to Europe so it''s not like they''re going to be serving anything that bizarre. I say make yourself really experience the whole place, savor each moment and immerse yourself in the city entirely. If you take things like snacks from home, you start to insulate yourself from the locale. The first thing I do in any place, is find the closet local market and food shops and get some snacks for my room. That way I know I have something to nibble on and I''ve already gotten to know the local market/shops. It''s a good place to start exploring (markets, that is). Enjoy!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, sounds exciting! I want to go there someday
3.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Following up on what Surfgirl said, I agree that trying the local snacks is a must! Two foreign snacks I''m now addicted to are: paprika flavoured potato snacks from Hungary, ''Tabu'' brand licorice candies from Italy. can''t... live... without them. Try local things! You may find you love them! Plus, Czech food isn''t that different from things you''ll be used to, e.g., meat, dumplings, & potatoes. It''s just that I found it often greasy and overcooked.

The absolute best thing to do in a safe city like Prague is to be BRAVE and get LOST! Getting lost is the absolute best most fun coolest thing ever for enjoying a new place. Like Surfgirl said, wander, find alleyways, detours, cool streets to explore. Go in whichever way you are drawn. People are so map and destination oriented, that they miss what''s going on along the way. And all of my most pleasurable and awesome (in the literal sense) moments in traveling have been along the way.

Another random piece of advice. Always Look UP. In Europe especially. All the best things are UP! Try it. You''ll see what I mean.

WHAT? You ask. GET LOST?!? Well, yeah. It''s super easy to find your way back when you''re ready to stop being lost. Just get in a cab and give the driver the address of your hotel (write it down so he understands you). No problemo. In other words, you can''t REALLY get lost. In a city with a metro system, it''s even easier, since once you find the nearest metro stop, you just go back to your ''home stop''. It''s just fun to follow your nose, so to speak, instead of planning too much. You''ll see and experience so much more.

Live! Enjoy! Have adventures! Seize the day! Don''t be timid! I promise, it will be awesome if you go with the flow, immerse yourself in where you are, don''t be too tourist site oriented, and drink it all in (including the beer of course).

If you need to ask directions or you need help, ask a woman or a child. And remember that people are people everywhere. They will be as eager to help a polite stranger as you would be to help a polite stranger in your home town.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Have fun!
Do remember that bohemian garnets (yeah they are sort of strange looking) are locally produced and can be a great souvenir. Don''t go to the touristy places looking for bargains...just get off the main roads, there was a place near the old Jewish Cemetery that had some really funky victorian looking stuff that looked nice. Also, cut bohemian crystal is really lovely. I have my nana''s so didn''t really look at prices and while I''ve been to Prague about 5 times it was always with a backpack and that wouldn''t work for carrying a lovely vase. But they are the colored crystal glasses with cut outs so you can see the clear? That is bohemian crystal. Also lovely are the shawls, beer steins (corny, but fun!), but above all, the walking around. There is a museum of torture (lots of medieval devices) a museum of communist propaganda (some very cute t-shirts in the gift shop), the Jewish quarter and the Opera House are both lovely, and Charles Bridge is AMAZING.

Again, knowing Czech is not necessary. Once an elderly man stopped me and one of my students to point out that we should be speaking his language. We were startled and sort of stood there when a really nice looking man said "don''t bother them, our language is economically dead and we all speak English anyway!" That pretty much sums it up.

The only thing I had a hard time with was that there it is hard to find cheap books in English in the CR. So pack your own and leave them there when you are done. I like to read books about a place when there, The Russian Debutante''s Handbook was fun and based in the city...I''m sure other PSers can add to that list as I''m drawing a blank.

Just remember when looking for lunch, that places a bit off the main drags are cheaper and frequently a bit more local if adventure is what you seek. Most of all, don''t be worried about getting lost, its not that big a city and there are maps and tourist points all over. Will the Xmass markets have started yet? They are amazing.
have fun! like everyone else, I''m so jealous!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks like the markets will be up by then:

http://www.pragueexperience.com/events/christmas_markets.asp

I talked to again to my travel buddy and she said that we''ll be right around the markets, so they''ll be close enough to easily explore by myself (just in case, Prague ends up being more intimidating than expected).

It''s so sad, I was showing the some of the pictures to my 5 YO and he saw a castle and threw a bit of a tantrum over the trip. I didn''t even say much about what is going on, just that I''m going. He insists he''s coming to. . .
7.gif
So, this will be hard for him and his brother!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results