shape
carat
color
clarity

Where in the Caribbean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
If you were going to take a trip to the Caribbean, where would you go and why? I''m thinking about taking a trip so doing a little research.

Thanks!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there!

I would head to Dominican Republic - preferably Punta Cana. The locals are very, very nice there, and most speak English. You can also get more of a bang for your buck more than any place in the Caribbean. The beaches are white sand. Great for taking long walks in the morning, and the beaches are spread out nicely, so you don't feel cramped. Lots of Europeans flock to this destination.

Jamaica is also nice. The Jamaicans def. go out of their way to make you feel at home and enjoy being on vacation. You are guarenteed to have a great time. At Ocho Rios, there is a waterfall you can climb which seems to draw the tourists - but it is a site to see for sure. Good shopping too there.

DH and I like to stay at all inclusive places resorts. We are more of the "relax and have some cocktails while out on the beach/see a show at night" kind of a couple - but there is other activities to do like boat tours, skydiving, and the like.

Here is a recent pic of Punta Cana:

Are you looking for a place in particular? What are you looking to do on your vacation?

puntacana1.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Aruba. Yum.

cheers--Sharon

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh I bet you''ll get lots of good responses to this question!!

My family has always loved and returned to St. John (USVI). 2/3rds of the island is preserved as a national park so it has a very laidback, not-overdeveloped feel. There are definitely no all-inclusive resorts on the island, and no McDonald''s or anything "commercial" like that... there''s not even an airport. We always stay in a little condo development on the water right beside Cruz Bay (the main "town" area) so everything is very walkable from there. Tons of yummy restaurants, cute shops and galleries, etc and we''ve never had to rent a car or rely on cabs. Everything is a bit more upscale than an island like St. Lucia (which we loved for our honeymoon, but had a much different feel), and a lot of the "locals" are people from the states who''ve decided to move down there and open shops and live the island life.
10.gif
St. John is known for its beautiful beaches and extensive snorkeling, so we often rent dinghies and travel around by water to all the different beaches on the island... makes for a really fun day. We always do day trips to Virgin Gorda (BVI) too... there is nothing more fun than spending the day on a boat, then stopping off at Soggy Dollar... a bar that you literally swim to from your boat, and hanging out in the hammocks drinking Painkillers (official drink of the V.I.). Ahhhh.... now I miss it.

Next month we are going to Turks & Caicos to try something different... so it will be fun to compare!

Pic of the condo/resort place where we stay in St. John:

EphSJ1.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Ive been to most places in the Caribbean, and I have to say, the nicest island IMO is Aruba. Its clean, its safe, and its really pretty. I HATED Jamaica (sorry Rosebud!), disliked the Bahamas, and felt so-so about Dominican Republic. I would not return to any of those 3 islands. MH and I went to Aruba for our hm 6 months ago, and we really enjoyed it!!! The beach is beautiful, and if you love to eat out/try new restaurants, the food is wonderful there! So many great places to eat! Let me know if you need suggestions!

Good luck with your planning!
1.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Naturally, it depends on what you want. Total relaxation or adventure? All-inclusive style resorts or more local flavor

I think Aruba probably has the best balance of both. Great beaches and resorts, but also lots of things to do and great restaurants around the island. We love Aruba!

Oh, and the added bonus? No worrying about hurricane season!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2008 5:37:07 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
Naturally, it depends on what you want. Total relaxation or adventure? All-inclusive style resorts or more local flavor

I agree. If it were me going, I would say provodeciales in Turks and Caicos hands down. But, I care nothing about having a lot of night life/gambling/heavy shopping/Americanized activities--you know the type of stuff. I can get all that without leaving the country. In Turks and Caicos, my husband and I found relaxation, gorgeous surroundings (including the most beautiful beach I have ever seen in my life), a friendly local culture, delicious food options, and lots of nature-oriented activities (Snorkeling tours, boat trips, horse back riding, long walks along the beach). It was so quiet and peaceful. Plus I felt perfectly safe wandering away from the resort all up and down Grace Bay Beach. There isn''t a lot of "Night life" or anything, but I found we never ran out of interesting things to do. I SO want to return.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the replies!

Rosebud, the beaches in Punta Cana sound very pretty. I''m not looking at a place in particular. I know very little about most of the Caribbean though and have found there are many more islands than I was aware of. I''m learning of places I''d never heard of before!
I would like a place where there is some straight relaxation, i.e., sitting on the beach, taking walks, etc... but also things to do and see. I like canoeing and other not too difficult water activities, also hiking and exploring new areas. I''d love to see rain forests, jungle areas, waterfalls and things like that. I saw one place that had Mayan ruins but can''t remember which island that was. I also like walking around the town, visiting some cute shops and getting a feel for the local culture.

Canuk-gal, Dani and NewEnglandLady, thanks for the Aruba suggestion! I will look at it more carefully.

Ephemery, thanks for mentioning St. John. I don''t mind not being at an all-inclusive resort or those types of things. What are dinghies? I do like the idea of checking out more than one island and if it''s easy enough to do, that would be fun. You''ll have to come back and talk about your Turks & Caicos trip!

Fancy, what does "provodeciales" mean? I don''t care much about the Americanized activities either and won''t likely do the gambling, heavy shopping or clubbing so I''m fine with a place that doesn''t have much of that. You make Turks & Caicos sound like a wonderful place to visit!

What sort of food is typical to the islands you''ve visited?

Thanks again, I''m learning a lot!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
We have traveled to almost all of the Caribbean islands and they are all beautiful. I personally really like Jamaica and Grand Cayman... great snorkeling and diving. I also loved the DR... we spent a week in Punta Cana a few years ago and it was amazing. My two newest favorite places
2.gif
are Aruba and Caracao... the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire and Caracao) are considered to be the three most prosperous islands in the Caribbean... and that was very refreshing to not see the sadness of poverty that you see on so many of the other islands.

The one place we have never been (yet!) is Turks and Caicos, but my nephew and his wife have been there several times and they LOVE IT there. They get a little bungalow on the beach that sounds wonderful.

You could probably close your eyes and just *pick an island* and have a great time!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
I would suggest the USVI - St. John is good for the laid back crowd. I prefer St. Thomas b/c there are many beaches, many different things to do and more of a night life -BUT that''s not for everyone. Anyway, the good thing is, if you prefer laid back, you can go to St. john and then take the ferry over to St.Thomas when and if you get bored!!! Both islands share a lot of the "excursions" like boat trips to the BVI, dinner cruises, snorkeling trips etc.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
Providenciales is one of the islands of Turks & Caicos. I LOVE T&C!! The beach is spectacular! I would really recommend T&C if you''re looking to relax and maybe check out water sports. Great snorkelling and scuba diving there too.

dolphingirl22

Shiny_Rock
We LOVE Belize, but its not for everyone. If your looking for high end ultra luxury resorts it is not your place. If your looking for relaxation and a totally laid back attitude then you would love it. We go every year, and hope to retire there some day. The island we stay on is called Ambergris Caye, its about a 20 minute flight from the main land of Belize. Last year we took a Myan ruin and cave tubing tour and it was incredible. Its a whole day trip with lunch, snacks, and all the rum punch you can drink
9.gif
If your into snokeling and diving is one of the best places to go. We usually snorkle, but are thinking about geting certified before our next trip in September. Its just a great place, we fall more in love with it each time we go.

Here is a link to one ofthe nicest hotels on the island

http://www.victoria-house.com/index.cfm

Here is all the information about the island

http://www.ambergriscaye.com/

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Ephemery, we hope to go to St John sometime. Would you mind saying the name of where you stay - it looks lovely! Have fun in Turks and Caicos!

snowflakeluvr

Shiny_Rock
we have been to st. john usvi a couple of times and loved it. like ephemery said, it''s very laid back and i think a more quiet island, although there is dining and shopping aplenty. we stayed at the westin(great pool-our kids love it there) but we also rented a vehicle and drove to cinnamon bay, and some other beaches to snorkel, etc. beaches are very uninhabited-you may see a few(10 or less) other people on the entire beach(not at the resort, but the other beaches you might drive to) it''s a beautiful island, hilly and trees and even a random donkey or family of goats meandering on the roadside. there''s a little restaurant/bar called skinny legs out in the middle of nowhere that serves burger-type fare. i read it is where some of the richy rich yachtsmen and wealthy hang out...wouldn''t know it by looking at it!
we''ve also been to grand cayman-a rather flat island, and it''s gorgeous there too. stayed at the westin as well-7 mile beach is amazing. british owned, don''t know what the dollar will buy you there. i think a more sophisticated island-fabulous restaurants, pricey if you''re into fine dining.
have fun wherever you decide-lucky you! you will have a wonderful time no matter where you go i''m sure.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Antigua is my fave spot. www.curtainbluff.com Romantic, tranquil, and the food is amazing. It''s all inclusive, but very high end. We have been there 7 times, it''s like a home away from for us.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2008 10:19:36 PM
Author: TanDogMom
Ephemery, we hope to go to St John sometime. Would you mind saying the name of where you stay - it looks lovely! Have fun in Turks and Caicos!
The place is called Gallows Point Resort... they are individually owned condo units so you can rent from Gallows Point itself, or directly from some of the owners. They are all 1-bedroom, but they are spacious and when we were younger, we could comfortably fit our family of 5 in just one condo, using the pull-out beds and cots. Often we''ve traveled there with other families, and it is such a perfect place for that. It is just so beautiful and peaceful and lovely. But the location is part of what makes it so nice... I LOVE being able to walk right down the hill into town to the Beach Bar for Happy Hour, and then on to a yummy restaurant for dinner! St. John is the kind of island that truly feels like home every time you''re there... we used to go every year, but it''s been a couple years now and I''m in withdrawal!

I''m also really excited about Turks and Caicos... can''t wait to report back to PS!
10.gif

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I have heard good things about T & C! I would like to check that place out too someday!

Grand Cayman is also nice. Very expensive there though... and very touristy/commerical.

Not to plug DR again or anything
3.gif
, but Puerta Plata is the other #2 visited spot on Dominican Republic , and there is more mountains on that side of DR than Punta Cana (not as white sand beaches, though, but still nice). Lots of hiking and rainforests at the top of the mountain. (the proper name escapes me) Beautiful trees and flowers!

Here is a pic of me and DH before we went up the cable car to the top of the mountain.

pplatarforest.jpg

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
another misty view...

rainforestscrb2.jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2008 10:13:47 AM
Author: ephemery1

The place is called Gallows Point Resort... they are individually owned condo units so you can rent from Gallows Point itself, or directly from some of the owners. They are all 1-bedroom, but they are spacious and when we were younger, we could comfortably fit our family of 5 in just one condo, using the pull-out beds and cots. Often we've traveled there with other families, and it is such a perfect place for that. It is just so beautiful and peaceful and lovely. But the location is part of what makes it so nice... I LOVE being able to walk right down the hill into town to the Beach Bar for Happy Hour, and then on to a yummy restaurant for dinner! St. John is the kind of island that truly feels like home every time you're there... we used to go every year, but it's been a couple years now and I'm in withdrawal!

I'm also really excited about Turks and Caicos... can't wait to report back to PS!
10.gif
Thanks Ephemery! I was wondering if that was Gallows Pt Resort actually! My friend stayed there (several years ago) and loved it. The pics on their website are great and it is nice to hear from you that you really liked it too! It sounds fantastic. I really hope we can go before too long. Did you find that it was hard to come over from the airport on St Thomas? I was reading that there is a ferry.

SnowFlakeLvr thanks for the info that the Westin is also good. We have some other friends who stayed there and liked it a lot too!

About St John (or the Carribean in general): It looks like lodging is a lot less expensive in the summer, but it looks like the temperatures are still pretty nice there. Is there any reason not to go in the early summer? (I would avoid hurricane season).

Thanks! And sorry for the mini threadjack, although it is related!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2008 11:36:29 AM

The place is called Gallows Point Resort... they are individually owned condo units so you can rent from Gallows Point itself, or directly from some of the owners. They are all 1-bedroom, but they are spacious and when we were younger, we could comfortably fit our family of 5 in just one condo, using the pull-out beds and cots. Often we''ve traveled there with other families, and it is such a perfect place for that. It is just so beautiful and peaceful and lovely. But the location is part of what makes it so nice... I LOVE being able to walk right down the hill into town to the Beach Bar for Happy Hour, and then on to a yummy restaurant for dinner! St. John is the kind of island that truly feels like home every time you''re there... we used to go every year, but it''s been a couple years now and I''m in withdrawal!

I''m also really excited about Turks and Caicos... can''t wait to report back to PS!
10.gif
Thanks Ephemery! I was wondering if that was Gallows Pt Resort actually! My friend stayed there (several years ago) and loved it. The pics on their website are great and it is nice to hear from you that you really liked it too! It sounds fantastic. I really hope we can go before too long. Did you find that it was hard to come over from the airport on St Thomas? I was reading that there is a ferry.

SnowFlakeLvr thanks for the info that the Westin is also good. We have some other friends who stayed there and liked it a lot too!

About St John (or the Carribean in general): It looks like lodging is a lot less expensive in the summer, but it looks like the temperatures are still pretty nice there. Is there any reason not to go in the early summer? (I would avoid hurricane season).

Getting to St. John from St. Thomas is REALLY easy. From the airport, you have 2 options: 1) Take a long cab ride to the Red Hook ferry, then a short ferry ride to Cruz Bay (20 mins). Or 2) Take a shorter cab ride to Charlotte-Amalie, then a longer ferry trip to Cruz Bay (40 mins). We always choose option 2, because the ferry ride is peaceful and fun... it''s a quick 40 minutes! And the ferries run all day long; we''ve never ever had any sort of problem with it. Gallows picks you and your luggage up at the ferry dock, but it''s walkable too.

We have stayed at Gallows all times of year, ranging from Christmas/New Year''s to the middle of July, and the weather is always fantastic. My only caution about the summer months is that St. John has an annual week-long Festival which is VERY loud and boisterous (and goes all night!)... and Gallows is close enough to town to hear all the music. Check when it is, because I probably wouldn''t stay there during that week again, if given the choice. It''s fun for a few nights, but disturbed my peace a bit! Although nobody else in my family seemed bothered by it, only picky me.
2.gif
Otherwise, summer is great... and even less crowded than the winter. Although it never really feels crowded there... like someone else said, all the beaches are really serene and virtually uninhabited. And no cruise ships, which is a major plus!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2008 12:01:08 PM

Date: 3/20/2008 11:36:29 AM

10.gif

Getting to St. John from St. Thomas is REALLY easy. From the airport, you have 2 options: 1) Take a long cab ride to the Red Hook ferry, then a short ferry ride to Cruz Bay (20 mins). Or 2) Take a shorter cab ride to Charlotte-Amalie, then a longer ferry trip to Cruz Bay (40 mins). We always choose option 2, because the ferry ride is peaceful and fun... it''s a quick 40 minutes! And the ferries run all day long; we''ve never ever had any sort of problem with it. Gallows picks you and your luggage up at the ferry dock, but it''s walkable too.

We have stayed at Gallows all times of year, ranging from Christmas/New Year''s to the middle of July, and the weather is always fantastic. My only caution about the summer months is that St. John has an annual week-long Festival which is VERY loud and boisterous (and goes all night!)... and Gallows is close enough to town to hear all the music. Check when it is, because I probably wouldn''t stay there during that week again, if given the choice. It''s fun for a few nights, but disturbed my peace a bit! Although nobody else in my family seemed bothered by it, only picky me.
2.gif
Otherwise, summer is great... and even less crowded than the winter. Although it never really feels crowded there... like someone else said, all the beaches are really serene and virtually uninhabited. And no cruise ships, which is a major plus!
Oooh, I can practically feel the ocean breezes here in my office :) I really want to go! Thanks so much for the great info. I''m glad to hear that it is easy to get there on the ferry. I really want to go somewhere calm and peaceful and beautiful, and it sounds like St John is the place. I just sent DH some links. It is so much more reasonable to go in summer that winter, and if its less crowded to boot- perfect! I hope we can make it this year!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2008 6:16:47 PM
Author: dixie94

Ephemery, thanks for mentioning St. John. I don't mind not being at an all-inclusive resort or those types of things. What are dinghies? I do like the idea of checking out more than one island and if it's easy enough to do, that would be fun. You'll have to come back and talk about your Turks & Caicos trip!
Hi Dixie, I meant to answer this earlier, sorry! I was trying to pluralize "dinghy" but not sure if I did it correctly... anyway, they are little rubber raft-like boats with a motor that you can rent for a day, and ride all around the island, stopping off at each of the different beaches for snorkeling, lunch or beach-time. Most beaches have a little designated "dinghy" area, and you just pull them right up into the sand. SO much fun. Some pix on this website: http://www.bookitvi.com/nla.htm

We also usually charter a boat for a day-sail to the BVI to explore the Baths (very cool rock formations you can climb), amongst other things. Often they'll make you a yummy lunch right there on the boat, but you have to make sure you stop at the Soggy Dollar bar for drinks! One of my fave things about Soggy Dollar: there is a chalkboard calendar behind the bar, so people can buy drinks for friends they know will be coming there in a few months or so, and mark it on the calendar for them to see when they get there!

ETA -- TanDogMom, definitely let me know if you have any other questions!! You can always page me with a new thread. I'm so glad you might get to plan a St. John trip this year... I'll have to live vicariously through you!!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/19/2008 8:28:45 PM
Author: chiapet
Providenciales is one of the islands of Turks & Caicos. I LOVE T&C!! The beach is spectacular! I would really recommend T&C if you''re looking to relax and maybe check out water sports. Great snorkelling and scuba diving there too.
My husband and I got married at the Beaches resort in Provo ten years ago. It''s really fantastic. It''s very private, has no water or air pollution. No bugs. Nothing negative. If we could afford to go back now, we would, but they doubled the price of the trips.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2008 12:16:48 PM

Date: 3/19/2008 6:16:47 PM
Author: dixie94

Ephemery, thanks for mentioning St. John. I don''t mind not being at an all-inclusive resort or those types of things. What are dinghies? I do like the idea of checking out more than one island and if it''s easy enough to do, that would be fun. You''ll have to come back and talk about your Turks & Caicos trip!
Hi Dixie, I meant to answer this earlier, sorry! I was trying to pluralize ''dinghy'' but not sure if I did it correctly... anyway, they are little rubber raft-like boats with a motor that you can rent for a day, and ride all around the island, stopping off at each of the different beaches for snorkeling, lunch or beach-time. Most beaches have a little designated ''dinghy'' area, and you just pull them right up into the sand. SO much fun. Some pix on this website: http://www.bookitvi.com/nla.htm

We also usually charter a boat for a day-sail to the BVI to explore the Baths (very cool rock formations you can climb), amongst other things. Often they''ll make you a yummy lunch right there on the boat, but you have to make sure you stop at the Soggy Dollar bar for drinks! One of my fave things about Soggy Dollar: there is a chalkboard calendar behind the bar, so people can buy drinks for friends they know will be coming there in a few months or so, and mark it on the calendar for them to see when they get there!

ETA -- TanDogMom, definitely let me know if you have any other questions!! You can always page me with a new thread. I''m so glad you might get to plan a St. John trip this year... I''ll have to live vicariously through you!!
Thanks again, Eph! I will ask you if I have any more questions! I just heard back from DH - he was a little bit AAGH with the price of travel these days (we just got done planning a trip to NYC) so we will see. I''m usually pretty good at twisting his arm. I want us to do a bit more travel just the 2 of us before we have kids.

Speaking of, CONGRATS again on your pregnancy (I lurk on the pg thread) and have a wonderful trip to Turks and Caicos!!!!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2008 1:35:47 AM
Author: Kaleigh
Antigua is my fave spot. www.curtainbluff.com Romantic, tranquil, and the food is amazing. It''s all inclusive, but very high end. We have been there 7 times, it''s like a home away from for us.

Another vote for Antigua....
36.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for all the great suggestions! Looks like I have some research to do!

Lynn, how lucky that you''ve traveled to so many islands! Thanks for your suggestions. So many to choose from and they all sound so wonderful.

Treysar, I do like the idea of being able to take a ferry and see a new place. Thanks for the ideas.

Chiapet, sounds like T&C is a great choice. I''m going to look into it, thanks!

Dolphingirl, Belize seems amazing! Thanks for those websites. I think I would have an amazing time there, so much to do and see. I think that might be one of my top choices!

TanDogMom, no worries about the threadjack, the more info the better!

Snowflakeluvr, I really like the idea of uninhabited beaches. I don''t know anything about Grand Cayman so that''s on my list to research, thanks!

Kaleigh and Lovewhitediamonds, thanks for the Antigua suggestion. I don''t know much about that island either.. geez, there really are SO many!

Rosebud, thanks for more info. on DR and the pics! It does seem very beautiful!

Ephemery, riding on those dinghies sounds interesting and fun... well, ok, I might be a wee bit nervous but I can swim so I should be ok! The Baths sound neat, and I''ll be sure to check out the Soggy Dollar if I go! Thanks for the info!

Gemgirl, a beach front ceremony in T&C sounds beautiful! I do like private, no pollution and no bugs!!

Thanks again and please keep on coming with suggestions. I''m very open and love hearing about the islands!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I have to put in a vote for Nevis. DH and I honeymooned there last June and it was absolutely wonderful. It is a tiny island, which is great because it isn''t over-developed. No ghettos, and though the locals definitely have a lower standard of living than most Americans, the island was pretty clean, and definitely safe. Not too much to do, which is just how I liked it, but there is hiking, snorkeling, other water sports, and there is some interesting history to see. The only major resort is a Four Seasons, which isn''t my cup-of-tea, but is certainly beautiful. A lot of the accomodations are actually old sugar plantations, so many are not on the beach, but rather up in the hills. I loved this because we had a nice breeze and amazing views. And we could still go to the inn''s private beach everyday if we wanted to. Other Nevis plusses? The citizens speak English and you can use American currency just about everywhere - that was important for us, because we wanted out honeymoon to be as stress-free as possible.

Some helpful links:

A great site about visiting Nevis:
http://www.nevis1.com/

Where we stayed:
http://www.montpeliernevis.com/
I absolutely cannot say enough wonderful things about this place. I want to go back every year.

The most popular, on-the-beach-but-not-the-four-seasons resort:
http://www.nisbetplantation.com/

Hope that helps!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hey fata! I did some work in the Caribbean region last Fall and went to several islands and Nevis is the only one I''d ever return to...lovely people, lovely island, great place. And the Montpelier is lovely!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Fatafelice and Surfgirl,
Thanks for the Nevis suggestion! Thanks for the links too!
Honestly, with so many to choose from, I have no idea how to narrow it down. Luckily, no decisions need to be made this moment so I have time to research.

Thanks a lot everyone!

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Have to cast my vote for our fave - Anguilla! DH and I have been a half dozen times over the last 15 or so years - we just adore the mix of great white beaches and casual days, and amazing restaurants at night. Cap Juluca is our favorite resort, but there are lots of great choices.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results