shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do you store your jewelry?

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I used to have a safety deposit box in the bank and I kept my stuff there. Then I moved two hours away and had to empty my box. None of the banks close to me are doing deposit boxes anymore so now I am thinking of getting a home safe.

Would you guys recommend this route or should I still get a bank deposit box?

What safe have you installed if you use one?

Thank you so much for your tips/advice.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always just used a jewellery box on my dressing table, but over the years my collection has become considerably more valuable. I currently still use a jewellery box, but there is an antique & very hardy, solid safe at the ‘new’ house that I am excited to start using. For me personally, this will be enough. Everything that needs to be insured is insured, so I try not to stress too much.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My usual pieces are under one roof and the rest are elsewhere.

There are lots of older threads you can search.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I wear is a ring.
It gets hung on rusty old nail that's nailed to a wall.

Tacky and cheap, just like me.

Other goodies stay in my bank's safe deposit box.

Imo unless it’s something you wear everyday, a bank safety deposit box is best.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll never tell.....

:)

A safe attached to both the wall and floor

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imo unless it’s something you wear everyday, a bank safety deposit box is best.

Best for safety, of course.
But not best for convenience for a person who values the freedom to impulsively choose to wear this or that from day to day.
For instance when I wake up and see the sun shining I may decide to wear my 101 ct D IF emerald cut, but when I wake up to clouds and rain I may want to slip on my 109 ct flawless Fancy Vivid Yellow cushion.

Then one person may not be offset if their multi-million dollar gem is stolen since they can just buy another that day with the change in their alligator Birkin bag.
Another person would be financially devastated by the same loss.

IMO every person must decide on their own personal balance of safety and convenience.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll never tell.....

A safe attached to both the wall and floor

Dang!
So I'm gonna have to bring my crowbar. arg!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang!
So I'm gonna have to bring my crowbar. arg!

Let me know when you're coming...would love to meet you IRL

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With or with my crowbar? :mrgreen:

Seriously, I'd also love to meet you.
You're one of my mostist-topist favoritest people here. :kiss2:

Best for safety, of course.
But not best for convenience for a person who values the freedom to impulsively choose to wear this or that from day to day.
For instance when I wake up and see the sun shining I may decide to wear my 101 ct D IF emerald cut, but when I wake up to clouds and rain I may want to slip on my 109 ct flawless Fancy Vivid Yellow cushion.

Then one person may not be offset if their multi-million dollar gem is stolen since they can just buy another that day with the change in their alligator Birkin bag.
Another person would be financially devastated by the same loss.

IMO every person must decide on their own personal balance of safety and convenience.

Ooh @kenny with rocks like those your fingers must be jacked! :lol:

But on a serious note, of course YMMV. I have some pieces that are really inexpensive, those live at home. And some that may be expensive but are things I wear nearly everyday, so those stay at home as well. But I have a mental dollar value in mind, and anything that crosses that threshold lives at the bank unless it’s something I wear all the time. I think it’s a system that works pretty well.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only thing I wear is a ring.
It gets hung on rusty old nail that's nailed to a wall.

Tacky and cheap, just like me.

Other goodies stay in my bank's safe deposit box.

Wow! At least use a new nail..:lol-2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I debated about getting a safe when I move to my new house. I like my method of keeping a dummy box of jewelry for thieves. I keep some real pieces in there but a lot of Berricle rings which look amazingly real. The other pieces are in a roll up pouch I keep in a place in my house that I’m pretty convinced no one would look. All my earrings and rings are in little jewelry ziplock plastic bags..Each earring is in one bag which is then placed inside the other one..It makes it less bulky. This way I can roll up the pouch as small as I can..Someone can follow you home and make you open a safe. Hopefully they would come when I wasn’t home and leave with what they think is a haul...until they try to sell it.
I like to change my jewelry everything few days. I wouldn’t like to have to go to the bank every time I want to switch them out.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have furniture with hidden jewelry drawers, but most of my important jewelry I wear everyday, what is left in the drawers may have sentimental value, but not much monetary value…..

Star gazer

Shiny_Rock
My big leather jewelry box/chest, and some other small boxes, and a small safe. Most of it is in the leather one, which has drawers and little compartments, and a place to hang chains.

I keep them all close at home, to have the versatility of changing looks easily. I will admit, I should do a better job at keeping certain pieces safe. Unfortunately, I tend to leave things lying out and around sometimes. But everywhere, around the house. Or my mom's place. Bad habit!!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
This leads to the eternal dilemma: convenience vs security. Increasing one leads to a decrease of the other. You have to find a balance that’s best for you.

Safety deposit boxes are safe but not convenient.

Jewelry boxes are convenient but not as safe.

I truly don’t know what’s the best of both worlds.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mine isnt valuable enough to hide....or put anywhere besides a regular cheap jewelry box...hence why I joined pricescope so I can dream about things I want if I ever when the lottery lol

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This leads to the eternal dilemma: convenience vs security. Increasing one leads to a decrease of the other. You have to find a balance that’s best for you.

I agree. If I kept my jewelry in a safe deposit box I'd never wear most of it. I like to change it regularly and that just would not be convenient.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The other pieces are in a roll up pouch I keep in a place in my house that I’m pretty convinced no one would look. All my earrings and rings are in little jewelry ziplock plastic bags

Just make sure that someone you trust knows this. I think I will turn in grave if my blings are somehow disposed/or cheaply sold when I’m dead and gone.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
None of the banks close to me are doing deposit boxes anymore so now I am thinking of getting a home safe.

Would you guys recommend this route or should I still get a bank deposit box?

Is a security system something that you can consider and design into your new place? E.g hidden storage/rooms, bolted safe, etc.

Also depends on how much your collection is worth. If a million dollars then yes of course a deposit box unless you typically wear a million bucks worth of blings on you then you might as well keep at home.

Also, how safe is your new neighborhood?

Hard to recommend without having more details. But then you should not provide too much info on a public forum from a safety perspective.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO a bank box is far safer than at anyone's home regardless of how much they spend on equipment or security services for the home.

I don't want it in my home,
It would feel like a magnet for crooks.
I become rather accustom to being alive.

While some neighborhoods are safer than others, NO neighborhood is a safe as a bank.

Let em try to break into a bank somewhere.
I do not care to be awakened by these people in my house.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just make sure that someone you trust knows this. I think I will turn in grave if my blings are somehow disposed/or cheaply sold when I’m dead and gone.

That‘s one of my fears. I bought some moissanite early on so my daughter-in-law thought the ring in my avatar was moissanite. :eek2:I sold a lot of my moissanite..but I did keep some of them.. I keep them separate from my natural diamonds. I label all my baggies with natural..moissanite, etc.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah. I think this really is an eternal dilemma. Quick to retrieve your stuff, cost-effective to set up, or infallible security - pick two. You’ll never get all three!

Quick retrieval and infallible security - home safe plus home alarm system. But an “infallible” setup by any practical definition is hugely costly.

Quick retrieval and cost effective - a diminished home safe / alarm system / gated community situation. Reduce on cost but compromise on security. Huge range here of course.

Cost effective setup and infallible security - bank box with umbrella insurance. But so inconvenient!

I personally go with #3. And… That means that I don’t wear a ton of my stuff.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. I think this really is an eternal dilemma. Quick to retrieve your stuff, cost-effective to set up, or infallible security - pick two. You’ll never get all three!

Quick retrieval and infallible security - a home safe plus home alarm system. But a truly “infallible” setup - by any practical definition of that word - will cost multiple tens of thousands in the US!

Quick retrieval and cost effective - a diminished home safe / alarm system. Reduce on cost but compromise on security. Huge range here of course.

Cost effective setup and infallible security - bank box with umbrella insurance. But so hugely inconvenient!

I personally go with #3. And… That means that I don’t wear a ton of my stuff.

Yup. My mom used to keep her Cartier black opal in the safe deposit box at the bank. Hence she never wore it and gave it to me. It’s an individual decision of course with no right or wrong. Just what works best for each person and for me if you don’t have easy access and therefore won’t wear it and enjoy it what is the point? For me at least. I like my jewelry here so I can wear or look at it as the mood strikes. But truly no right or wrong. It’s just life is short and I want to buy the shoes (or diamonds) and wear them if you kwim

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And of course, having the more pricey pieces insured helps if something goes wrong.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t insure most of my jewelry. I have four pieces on my personal property insurance.. I just take a chance on the other pieces..If I lose something..or it gets stolen then it’s gone. My ACA engagement ring and my emerald cut in my avatar are insured. I didn’t insure my cushion diamond ring…Bee..I don’t have any bands insured..My 3.04ctw studs are insured because they have high specs…I may take off my 1.80-1.90 ctw first studs….because I could easily replace them..Their stats are not great..but they are pretty..flaws and all..My bezel diamond bracelet is also insured…I do think about if someone got my whole pouch..It would hurt both personally and financially because of how many pieces I own. I still prefer to hide them in my house in my pouch..:shifty:

springsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Eventually I will get a built in safe hidden somewhere in my house, but not in the primary bedroom. For now I hide most of it in my house, in a place that thieves are less likely to look for valuables. Not my freezer haha. I keep a few lesser value pieces on my bathroom counter as well.

ETA my house has a security system.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Oof - this isn't going to be a popular answer, haha

Mine are all just sitting around different surfaces in my house :loopy::loopy:

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the responses, guys. I appreciate it. My earlier situation was so perfect. I kept stuff in my bank, which was literally a 10 minute walk from home..so I could pop in to take stuff out or put back in while walking my dog. (My bank is dog friendly).

I think I'm just gonna get a box in the next town which is going to be fairly inconvenient for me, but I just like banks much more than personal safes. (Plus I don't own a safe and I don't know what to buy, it sounds complicated.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results