shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do you put your handbag in the car?

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I got a "new" car recently. A Mercedes GL class. My previous car was a minivan and I could put my bag on the center console. I can't seem to find a place for my bag in my new car. For the most part I carry a Bottega Veneta medium hobo. It doesn't sit nicely on the center console, it won't fit inside the tiny center console compartment. I've been putting it in the passenger seat, but I worry about theft, and when I have a passenger I struggle with where to put it.

So I have the dumbest problem ever, my designer bag won't fit in my luxury car. :(2

I've been thinking about getting a new bag (maybe an LV?) but it needs to be small enough to fit inside the console and large enough to carry all my junk. So basically a Tardis.

So, I'd love to know, where do you put your handbags in the car?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always said that men must design cars! I have yet to drive any car that has a good place to put my purse. I usually put it on the passenger seat when I am alone but if someone is there, it has to go behind the console in the backseat and it's not convenient at all. I drive a Suburban.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually carry a small wristlet size bag. It tucks in the cup holder of the driver side door. If I have something larger, DH holds it in the passenger seat or I set it behind the driver seat if I have someone else along.

Why do you worry about theft? If you don't leave it in the car while you are out and drive with the doors locked, there isn't much risk.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put it between the driver's door and my left side. Slide it back or forward a bit so it doesn't interfere with arm movement. Keep doors locked.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I carry a 6"x8" crossbody bag, and I tuck it under the driver's seat.
I drive a Mitsubishi SUV.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Passenger's seat

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many women have this same problem. I agree with @ceg regarding men designing cars. The say you should not place your handbag on the passenger seat or on the back seat or floors due to smash and grabs. That leaves the hump in the middle of the backfloor. You turn a corner and the bag ends up falling on the floor. Small purses would probably be easier but not very practical if you need to carry a lot of things in your bag.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, exactly, the smash and grab. I grew up in very bad neighborhoods, so I have a few safety quirks that are probably not necessary in my current neighborhood, but old habits and all.

I have horrible vision, so I carry a very large prescription sunglass case, and I have a giant wallet because I have to carry everyone's passes to everything, so 6 passes to the zoo, Disneyland, Sea World, military ID's etc etc. And I carry to small fold up reusable bags because I'm always stopping for groceries on the fly and never have a bag so I then I end up carrying groceries out of the store in my arms and no bag. I'm not buying the 10 cent plastic bags, I'm too cheap, lol.

I'm glad others have this problem too. Honestly, the minivan did it right. There was a shelf between the seats and my bag sat in it perfectly. The Mercedes center console is curved so nothing can sit on it. And the door storage is terrible too. Other than that I love the car. It just has some storage issues. The suburban and Yukon had a center console just the right size for the bag, but in the end we decided to go with a different car and I need to get it figured out.

I think I'm just going to have to get a new bag. :twisted2:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Passenger seat or floor of passenger seat. I never leave it there when I'm out if the car due to risk of tempting theft.

Q

Queenie60

I drive a sedan. Passenger seat and goes to the back floor when I have a passenger which isn't usually the case - I'm alone most of the time while driving. Never thought of it as an issue.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Floor of passenger seat or if with passenger, on their lap (ha ha) or in the back seat on the floor behind the passenger seat.
We won’t talk about the time I left it (by accident) on the roof from where it finally fell off and into the gutter some distance from home.
And, praise be, an honest man found it and it was returned to me.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put mine in the passenger seat foot well.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like others, the passenger seat, or in the back.

Something I've also started doing, especially if I'm traveling more than a few minutes is attach it to the seatbelt. Thanks to our cross country trip last year, I have clips attached to the seatbelts in those two seats, for the dogs. Because I hate having my bag slide off to the floor, just attaching it to that clip keeps the slide off from happening. Let me see if I can find a link.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...y-clip-seatbelt-extension-for-dogs?rrec=true#

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I drive a Pilot which has a sizable center console so bag goes there or front seat. It doesn't slide off except for emergency braking.

I saw a commercial for new Volvo SUV which prominently featured a hook for a bag on passenger side glovebox. Definitely marketing that car to women.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have mine usually sitting on the "hump" in the backseat right behind the console. That or right near me on the passenger side.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I saw a commercial for new Volvo SUV which prominently featured a hook for a bag on passenger side glovebox. Definitely marketing that car to women.

What a great idea to put a hook! On the hunt for a cute command strip hook for my car now.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put mine on the front passenger seat next to me. If someone is in the car with me, I put the purse on the back seat.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always said that men must design cars! I have yet to drive any car that has a good place to put my purse. I usually put it on the passenger seat when I am alone but if someone is there, it has to go behind the console in the backseat and it's not convenient at all. I drive a Suburban.

I think this every damn time I get in Billy Ray!

Purse generally goes on the passenger seat, but I've I've got someone with me it's put behind my seat.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put it on the passenger seat and when I have a passenger it's their job to hold it. I'm not sure why "theft" is an issue when you're driving.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Usually passenger side foot well, like Austina. Rarely front seat or behind me .

Congrats on the new GL.

cheers--Sharon

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually place mine on the floor by the driver’s side door/against my seat. It’s small enough to fit there, doesn’t impede anything, is out of sight, and I never forget to grab it as I get out of the car.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If its just me - Passenger seat
If its me driving and husband in the passenger - he will hold it/or on the floor if its not yucky out
If its me driving and random passenger - back seat

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Figuring out where to put my purse used to drive me bananas! And DH too - I think he believed I'd rather put him on the floor so my purse could have the passenger seat!

Then I discovered headrest purse hooks. Works for kid's backpacks too. If no one is in the passenger seat, I turn the hook so it rests toward the front of the car. Someone riding shotgun: turn it so it rests to the back of the passenger seat. Someone riding shotgun and someone in the seat behind the passenger seat, I rest it to the side of the passenger seat.

Wah-lah! Always out of the way, always clean and safe, always within reach!

Got mine on Amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXT4726/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My parents drive a minivan and I was shocked to see there was a space for a purse in the center. What a fabulous idea! I've had SUVs since the late 90s and I've always had to put my purse on the passenger seat. If someone's sitting there it can go on the floor. I'd rather have a Range Rover with a purse space than all the doodads they build into it that I never use.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I drive a Mercedes C class coupé, I have a small Radley handbag (about 30cm x 10cm I think). It goes on the passenger seat or in the footwell. Or behind my seat if I have a passenger.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Passenger seat if I'm alone or with the dog (which is usually the case)
if not alone, then between the drivers door and me (its small enough for this)

I never ride with my purse in the backseat mainly because thats where all the life saving drugs and keys are...lol
FWIW, I drive a VW GTI

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With my healthy sense of paranoia intact, I place my wristlet on the floor of the passenger side. Why? Because it can't really become a projectile there, and no car jacker/mugger is going to see it and try rob me while I'm driving. I don't think there's ever even been a carjacking or robbery while someone was driving where I live, but I prefer to mitigate all risks, obviously. It doesn't make me safe, it only calms my mind a little bit.:eek2:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put mine on the passenger seat and if I have a passenger, it goes on the floor beside their feet! However, these posted hooks make perfect sense - might have to invest in some!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a Mercedes GL series and my purse goes in the passenger seat. If I have a passenger, I tuck it in the floor underneath my legs and against my seat.:twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results