Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do you buy your (real) costume jewelry?

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
3,081
I've recently begun to update my jewelry box with real stones that don't have high price tags. I'm in love with moonstones, chrysoprase, chalcedony, and the like. I seriously wear a pair of moonstone earrings at least 3 times a week! Since I am young, it's much easier for me to acquire these pieces when I get the urge to go shopping, and I'd rather spend $75 on real stones than plastic.

So far, the only place I've found the quality I'm looking for has been this etsy jeweler, http://www.etsy.com/shop/PRADMAN. I have two pairs of earrings from them, and I've seen more of her stuff in person that a friend bought. I'm a fan, but I'm curious if any of you have a place you buy things that are along the same vein. I'm not talking the same strictly design wise, just good quality, semi precious jewelry.

As always, pictures are more than welcome! :naughty:
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,585
Have you checked out Daniel M on etsy? They can source you the stones or you can source your own stones for the projects. For a handful of projects, I purchased my gems from Mastercutgems (Dana) and had him ship them directly to Daniel M. For a cost savings, I usually opt for Daniel M to set my stones in argentium silver.

Other cutters I like and have purchased from are Dan Stair and Bob Kast.

The colored stones forum has some awesome droolworthy pieces and projects.

For "fake" costume jewelry, I like Nadri brand jewelry.
 

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
3,081
PintoBean|1313946732|2995753 said:
Have you checked out Daniel M on etsy? They can source you the stones or you can source your own stones for the projects. For a handful of projects, I purchased my gems from Mastercutgems (Dana) and had him ship them directly to Daniel M. For a cost savings, I usually opt for Daniel M to set my stones in argentium silver.

Other cutters I like and have purchased from are Dan Stair and Bob Kast.

The colored stones forum has some awesome droolworthy pieces and projects.

For "fake" costume jewelry, I like Nadri brand jewelry.
Daniel M isn't exactly a super affordable option anymore. I've had quotes from him in the $400 range for a simple design in silver! I actually own a few of his things already! Thank you for the rec, though!
 

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
6,232
I got a lot of mine from Kyle Anne metals on Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/kyleannemetals. Her Etsy site is now full of higher-end stuff including some diamonds, but she used to carry more of the stones you're talking about and could probably get them again.
 

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 8, 2003
Messages
15,880
OUpeargirl|1313945433|2995740 said:
I've recently begun to update my jewelry box with real stones that don't have high price tags. I'm in love with moonstones, chrysoprase, chalcedony, and the like. I seriously wear a pair of moonstone earrings at least 3 times a week! Since I am young, it's much easier for me to acquire these pieces when I get the urge to go shopping, and I'd rather spend $75 on real stones than plastic.

So far, the only place I've found the quality I'm looking for has been this etsy jeweler, http://www.etsy.com/shop/PRADMAN. I have two pairs of earrings from them, and I've seen more of her stuff in person that a friend bought. I'm a fan, but I'm curious if any of you have a place you buy things that are along the same vein. I'm not talking the same strictly design wise, just good quality, semi precious jewelry.

As always, pictures are more than welcome! :naughty:
Never heard of that seller...but these are super cute:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/80194732/amethyst-teardrop-earrings-on-sterling

hmmm...the last colored stone/costume item I bought was from Blue Nile. I wanted an amethyst and love the necklace I ended up with, but it was the *third* one I had sent to me before I found one that looked right when seen in person (I think it's because they don't provide side views of their pieces).

For most costume, I go to Nordstrom and stock up when they have sales. There have been a few times I've lucked out and found excellent & fun stuff at Nord Rack, but that was over a year ago...seems like they've really decreased their selection at the location I shop at.

I have decided to look for something new and when I buy, I'll post...maybe will be an Etsy item :)
 

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
5,586
Great thread!!

I don't have much to offer, but I prefer than even my less expensive pieces are still genuine gemstones, so I'll be checking back!
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,585
OUpeargirl|1313946895|2995756 said:
Daniel M isn't exactly a super affordable option anymore. I've had quotes from him in the $400 range for a simple design in silver! I actually own a few of his things already! Thank you for the rec, though!
That is really disheartening to hear! :errrr:
 

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
5,537
I've received a couple of pieces from Pradman, the vendor OUpeargirl mentioned. I got a pair of onyx dangles, laboradorite earrings, and a tourquoise chain. Loved, loved, loved them!! Reasonble cost for non-custom, fashionable pieces.

I'm lusting after the bangle bracelets. Look just like Ippolita at a fraction of the price! I just wished they had more silver pieces.
 

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
1,720
PintoBean|1313977373|2996178 said:
OUpeargirl|1313946895|2995756 said:
Daniel M isn't exactly a super affordable option anymore. I've had quotes from him in the $400 range for a simple design in silver! I actually own a few of his things already! Thank you for the rec, though!
That is really disheartening to hear! :errrr:
Sigh. I thought this would happen. I am glad I got my ring from him when I did.
 

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
3,081
MissStepcut|1314031686|2996631 said:
PintoBean|1313977373|2996178 said:
OUpeargirl|1313946895|2995756 said:
Daniel M isn't exactly a super affordable option anymore. I've had quotes from him in the $400 range for a simple design in silver! I actually own a few of his things already! Thank you for the rec, though!
That is really disheartening to hear! :errrr:
Sigh. I thought this would happen. I am glad I got my ring from him when I did.
Yep.. I was really disappointed! I told him that much, too!
 

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
5,537
Oh, come on folks!! I've got a big itch, but a small budget. Help me out...
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,585
Upgradable|1314102253|2997271 said:
Oh, come on folks!! I've got a big itch, but a small budget. Help me out...
I KNOW the feeling!
I usually wear studs or huggies, and have been jonesing for a pair of oval diamond hoops. I found these "bargain versions" at Macys to try out http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=585709&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=550615&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

and ended up getting them in the rose gold (which is pinker than in the picture), white gold and yellow gold for $26 each! At 1/2 inch diameter, they are just big enough (for someone like me who is not bold enough to take the big hoop leap!). Macys' prices flux like crazy from week to week and the internet price is not always the same as the in-store price! Keep an eye out at your local Macys (or internet Macys).

Oh, the earrings come in black rhodium, too, but they just look like dingy or tarnished earrings - I guess they just weren't "dark" enough. Hmmm... the descriptions for the pink and white colored links don't jive, but they are the same - inside out bling, $70 original price.

One day... after I win lotto... I'll get the real deal! :mrgreen:
 

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
5,078
Upgradable|1314102253|2997271 said:
Oh, come on folks!! I've got a big itch, but a small budget. Help me out...
So unload that ugly spinel and you might have a few hundred to spend on decent costume jewelry.....
 
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
5,384
PintoBean|1313977373|2996178 said:
OUpeargirl|1313946895|2995756 said:
Daniel M isn't exactly a super affordable option anymore. I've had quotes from him in the $400 range for a simple design in silver! I actually own a few of his things already! Thank you for the rec, though!
That is really disheartening to hear! :errrr:
My double bezel pendant was $420 in 14kwg... I thought that was pretty reasonable??? Considering that also includes shipping (back) and setting of the stone. At a local jewelry store it would've been at least $300 to set my stones.. not including the setting(s)!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I don't wear a lot of costume jewelry. Just earrings. And I get them from etsy. I just flip through the thousands of pages of designs and I always find something. The selection is amazing.
 

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Feb 8, 2011
Messages
302
I recently bought a pre-notched silver ring setting from eBay and set a Morganite in it myself. Cost me less than $20 for everything (stone & setting), so I'm pretty pleased. :tongue:
Will post a photo later when I get home as I can't load using iPhone.

This is a great topic & I look forward to see what everyone says!
 

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
3,081
I love everyone's contributions so far.

I'm seriously jonesing for a really neat moonstone bracelet and I've been searching for one for weeks now. Hopefully some time soon I'll find it. :lickout:

Seems like etsy is the place to go for this kind of stuff.
 

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 8, 2009
Messages
21,747
Fun thread!

I check the Gilt Groupe daily. In the jewelry category, they carry fine to fashion. I bought a fun piece for very little on Gilt-oxidized sterling silver pendant with floral engraving and a black diamond in the center. http://www.gilt.com/sale/women
They have some bold necklaces featured today.

Etsy's always great too. I really want a chunky labradorite necklace.
 

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 7, 2004
Messages
6,484
I like browsing etsy and have gotten a couple necklaces from Daniel M (one standard, one custom). Maybe his prices have gone up?
Where I live there a main store with 2 satellite stores I LOVE to browse at called Light Years. They have a HUGE earring selection, organized by gemstone. The gemstone quality varies so you have to look around. There is also a local antique store that also has a silver selection I like to browse. I also like to browse Overstock too!

ps not that I consider costume necessarily bad, I don't consider gemstone jewelry set in SS "costume".
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top