shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do I even start? (color change garnets)

peas-and-carats

Rough_Rock
This is my first foray into the CS world, and I need help!

I just won a parcel of 4 color change garnets on GRA. They are listed as being approx 6x5mm, so not a standard size. I don't have them in hand yet, but I'm trying to figure out my possible next step(s).

If I wanted to recut two of them, who would you recommend? I looked at the PS CS vendor list, but there are so many on there that I quickly got overwhelmed. What would be a ballpark estimate for cost of doing a recut like this? I've never done anything like this.

My other choice is to keep cut/size as is and go with custom settings, which I'm sure is also not inexpensive.

My mom and I are both January babies so I really wanted to make us matching color change garnets rings for Mother's Day. I don't know what I would do with the other two stones in the parcel... either sell or maybe make earrings later.

Here are some photos from the vendor: (who knows what they really look like!)

5e070b4a140bb.jpg
5e30152fde59e.jpg

They had a video as well that looked pretty decent, but I don't know how to link it here. I know they can be pretty dark especially after setting.

Thank you!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy these, TBH. They have a greyish/brown hue, and I think they will tend towards looking "muddy" in real life. What type of color change are you looking for? Are you looking for stones that look like alexandrite without the giant price tag? I definitely think you can find better than these!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Even the alexandrite like color change garnets look less than ideal in real life.I bought one from Jeff White and then returned it because the garnet looked black under natural lighting even though it looked awesome under incandescent and fluorescent.

peas-and-carats

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't buy these, TBH. They have a greyish/brown hue, and I think they will tend towards looking "muddy" in real life. What type of color change are you looking for? Are you looking for stones that look like alexandrite without the giant price tag? I definitely think you can find better than these!

Thanks for your reply @lovedogs
I actually already won them, so no going back there, but it wasn't too much money. I have a very small loose CC garnet that looks similar to these in color -- the murky olive green. I actually really like this color! Reminds me of a forest, and we are nature lovers. But you may be right, I might receive these and think they look like swamp things! Not looking for alexandrite style, just really like the olive green that changes to something else (red or purple).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your reply @lovedogs
I actually already won them, so no going back there, but it wasn't too much money. I have a very small loose CC garnet that looks similar to these in color -- the murky olive green. I actually really like this color! Reminds me of a forest, and we are nature lovers. But you may be right, I might receive these and think they look like swamp things! Not looking for alexandrite style, just really like the olive green that changes to something else (red or purple).

Glad you like the olive color, that makes me feel much more hopeful that you'll like them IRL! I am still thinking they'll look muddy or dark in hand and that the color change will be weak, but definitely see for yourself and then go from there.

peas-and-carats

Rough_Rock
Glad you like the olive color, that makes me feel much more hopeful that you'll like them IRL! I am still thinking they'll look muddy or dark in hand and that the color change will be weak, but definitely see for yourself and then go from there.

Yes I'm excited to see what they're really like lol.

Here's a photo of the 2 current CC garnets I have (I misspoke earlier - forgot I had two!). These are green to purple, and although I haven't been able to capture it, they are both a lovely clear olive green outside. The little one is 5x4, the slightly larger one is 5.65 x 4.17... I actually really like these two but they are maybe too dainty. If the auction parcel doesn't look nice, I'll use these instead. Here they are under the incandescent lights in my bathroom. Sorry it's a little blurry.

IMG_20200224_175619.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I'm excited to see what they're really like lol.

Here's a photo of the 2 current CC garnets I have (I misspoke earlier - forgot I had two!). These are green to purple, and although I haven't been able to capture it, they are both a lovely clear olive green outside. The little one is 5x4, the slightly larger one is 5.65 x 4.17... I actually really like these two but they are maybe too dainty. If the auction parcel doesn't look nice, I'll use these instead. Here they are under the incandescent lights in my bathroom. Sorry it's a little blurry.

IMG_20200224_175619.jpg

I think these two are much nicer than the ones you ordered, but I hope I'm wrong!

peas-and-carats

Rough_Rock
I think these two are much nicer than the ones you ordered, but I hope I'm wrong!

Well if you're right, I paid the same amount for these two as I did for the parcel of four, so I'd be okay with that! I'll update when I get them. =)2

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
This is my first foray into the CS world, and I need help!

I just won a parcel of 4 color change garnets on GRA. They are listed as being approx 6x5mm, so not a standard size. I don't have them in hand yet, but I'm trying to figure out my possible next step(s).

If I wanted to recut two of them, who would you recommend? I looked at the PS CS vendor list, but there are so many on there that I quickly got overwhelmed. What would be a ballpark estimate for cost of doing a recut like this? I've never done anything like this.

My other choice is to keep cut/size as is and go with custom settings, which I'm sure is also not inexpensive.

My mom and I are both January babies so I really wanted to make us matching color change garnets rings for Mother's Day. I don't know what I would do with the other two stones in the parcel... either sell or maybe make earrings later.

Here are some photos from the vendor: (who knows what they really look like!)

5e070b4a140bb.jpg
5e30152fde59e.jpg

They had a video as well that looked pretty decent, but I don't know how to link it here. I know they can be pretty dark especially after setting.

Thank you!

I had Gemart Services do a recut on a windowed gem for me. I love their work! It was a too shallow pastel yellow green chrysoberyl that he redid the pavilion on with minimal measurement loss (less than 0.5mm and 0.15ct). The gem is beautiful and sparkly now, and looks larger without the window. The only downside is that the silk which was giving it a neon effect was lost in the cut, which was no fault of theirs.

The price was fair, though my husband jokes I spent more money on recutting a cheap stone (it was less than $40 originally and recut was $80). I would definitely recommend them.

Have you had anything recut before? Check it for flaws to make sure a recut wouldn't bring anything to the surface before sending it to not waste time if you're worried about a window to return. Also, a recut can make look stones darker, sometimes a window is the way the impression of color is transmitted.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I believe price of re-cuts vary from $50 to $300+ depending on the challenge and size of the material. Are your stones deep at all? If not there may not be enough material.

For re-cuts, my favorite is Jim Buday/shinyprecious from https://www.reddit.com/r/Shinypreciousgems/ or https://instagram.com/shinypreciousgems

He’s great at looking at stones and being quite honest about the work necessary and the chance of success for a re-cut. Perhaps give him a poke to ask?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results