shape
carat
color
clarity

When''s the soonest I can take a pregnancy test?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
How soon can I take an at home pregnancy test and the results be accurate?

What''s the best test?

DH and I TTC for the 1st time this past weekend and I can''t wait to know the results!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the test that claims to give the earliest results says within 5 days of your missed period. So using a calendar I''d calculate when my next period was due and test starting 5 days prior to the date you''re due. I''m not sure what I TTC is, but I''m guessing it''s an IF procedure? If so, shouldn''t your doc be monitoring you for this? Sorry, I''ve not dealt with the process so some of the procedural stuff is vague.

Most importantly, GOOD LUCK!!! I''m sending lots of PS dust your way **********************************

metro

Brilliant_Rock
DH and I have been talking of having another baby (our DD is 5yrs.) for about a year now. Over the weekend, we went w/o protection for the 1st time. Honestly, I don''t even know the date of last period. I think it was about 2 weeks ago.

DH is one pins and needles. He is so sure I''m pregnant, because, according to him, he has "super sperm"
20.gif
and because it only took one try to conceive DD.

We''ll see....

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Could I tell sooner with a blood test?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL, he sounds like my FI.

I''m not sure about the blood test, but if your last . was 2 weeks ago, then you should be able to start testing next week maybe?

I''m not sure of the brand of test that touts the 5 day thing. Also, if you haven''t already, maybe you should visit your Gyn to have a pre-baby check up. S/he might have some guidance as to when/how soon you can test. She also might want to put you on prenatal vitamins. I''ve heard that going on prenatal vitamins prior to conception can increase your fertility.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Good idea...

I''ll call my OB/GYN this afternoon and find out about the pregancy tests and if I could come in sooner for a blood test. I''m impaitent and want to know now!

I''m actually really starting to freak myself out. I''m excited and scared all at the same time!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
We have lots of pregnant folks on this board right now, so hopefully one of them will chime in!

But I do know that implantation doesn't even occur until 7-10 days post-ovulation, so it would be VERY rare to get a positive pregnancy test before 10 days post-ovulation... often people start seeing a positive closer to 14 days post-ovulation. So if you know you ovulated this past weekend, unfortunately you will probably have to wait another 2 weeks.
I lurk on baby boards occasionally, and people say that "2 week wait" can feel like two years!! So others are definitely sharing your pain. Good luck to you!!
36.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Metro,

I know that Divergrrl has recommended this site a lot to people on the preggo thread: Pee on a Stick. Hopefully that has all the answers you''re looking for (other than the BIG one, that is!) -- good luck!! Hopefully we''ll see you soon on the preg thread!!

I know that Tacori found out *really* early on, so maybe she''ll chime in too!

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Just called the Dr. - yes, I must wait *at least* 2-weeks. I think the wait is gonna kill me and DH. Really - I don''t know if I could handle this month after month!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the meantime, why don''t you try to ''ahem'' help things along. You know what they say, practice makes perfect and it might take your mind off of the waiting ;-)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 12:27:20 PM
Author: ellaila
Metro,

I know that Divergrrl has recommended this site a lot to people on the preggo thread: Pee on a Stick. Hopefully that has all the answers you''re looking for (other than the BIG one, that is!) -- good luck!! Hopefully we''ll see you soon on the preg thread!!

I know that Tacori found out *really* early on, so maybe she''ll chime in too!

Hehe, I did found out when I was between 3-4 weeks preggo which I guess is pretty rare. I also like that website. It was very helpful. I REALLY think you need to wait until you are OFFICALLY late. So I guess I would say 1 day after your *missed* period. I used EPT and supposely you can find out 5 days *before* well, it gave me a false negative at first. Granted my periods were irregular so knowing when I was late was a little tricky. Here is what I did. I got a negative. Waited a week, took another. Got a *faint* positive. The line was SOOOO light I thought maybe I was seeing things. I read online to wait 3 hours and not to drink anything or pee (so the HcG is good and concentrated. I couldn''t have waited for morning pee). So I still had some EPT and we went and bought a digital one (b/c the lines ARE so confusing). I really suggest peeing in a pee plastic cup (that way you can retest all you want) I personally cannot pee on demand. Plus I was really bad at getting either too much pee or not enough and ruining the test (who knew they were so complicated?!?
3.gif
). So tested 3 times. One digital and two EPTs. The lines were darker (still light thought) but the digital made it pretty black and white. The "not" never showed up.

To give you an idea of how early I found out I also got a faint positive at the doc''s office (2 days later). They had to do a blood test to confirm which is not routine at their office. She said either I was VERY newly preggo or having a m/c. Luckily it was the first. In about 20 days I''ll get to meet our faint little line.
9.gif
Hope this helps. Sorry if it was too much information! Good luck!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 11:44:46 AM
Author:metro

DH and I TTC for the 1st time this past weekend and I can''t wait to know the results!

By the way it takes a min of 10 hours for the sperm to even reach your egg. Implantation can happen DAYS later. Sperm can live in your body for up to 72 hours. So if you BD on sunday you might not be preggo *yet* but there is still a 20% chance it could happen later this week.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 12:15:25 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I've heard that going on prenatal vitamins prior to conception can increase your fertility.

Unfortunately that is not true. It is GOOD to take while TTC (folic acid is SO important) but it won't help your chances.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe increase your fertility is the wrong term, but I once asked my Dr about taking them just because they're supposed to be the best vitamins around. She said that it wasn't a good idea unless I was planning to start a family soon or was willing to take the risk of getting pregnant. She felt that taking the PNVs might set me up for a coincidence (i.e., the planets aligning just right or making the ideal conditions for conception and implantation) and to hold off until I was ready to start trying. So I just stayed with my general women's MV.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 1:38:53 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Date: 10/8/2007 11:44:46 AM
Author:metro

By the way it takes a min of 10 hours for the sperm to even reach your egg. Implantation can happen DAYS later. Sperm can live in your body for up to 72 hours. So if you BD on sunday you might not be preggo *yet* but there is still a 20% chance it could happen later this week.
Really - a min of 10 hours?!? CRAZY! I didn''t know that. So, DH and I *ahem, tried* on Saturday morning, around 1am. So I *could* have become pregnant Saturday, lunch time. Or, maybe not until yesterday. Or maybe today. Or maybe not at all....

It''s so crazy - it''s like the moon and stars have to be just perfect, doesn''t it?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My test of choice is the clear blue digital. Like Tacori said, those little lines are so hard to see/not see (depending on what you want). I like the straight answer.

As much as you want to test early, I would avoid it. Try to wait until you''re late. If you take a test and get a false negative, you''ll be so disappointed.

Good Luck to you and the Super Sperm!
1.gif

About the prenatals, according to my doc, a woman should only take them when trying to conceive, pregnant and or lactating. Not because they increase chances of conception, but because if you have those amounts of vitamins in your system regularly, they can become toxic. So, ask your doc about prenatals. (I had to take OTC vits. because the fishy taste of RX made me sick)
23.gif

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
The FirstRespone pregnancy test claims that it can detect the pregnancy hormone 4 days BEFORE your scheduled period.
I got pregnant on the first try as well (possibly literally the first time DH and I did not use contraceptive for the first time in 11 years!!!) So like you i was on pins and needles for the results. I brought this particular preg. test on my honeymoon and took it around the time I was expected to get my period (not yet late)--it came back negative, but I was not convinced. About a week later when I still did not get my period--i did a re-take and it was positive. Moral or the story: save your money and just wait till you know you are late.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I got my first ever positive on the First Response Early and it was 11 days past ovulation. It was the first pregnancy test I ever took.
emteeth.gif

Good luck!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Metro: good luck! And it can take up to 10 days for the embryo to even implant. Try not to think about it. Peeonastick.com is the best site ever.

i got my early results with both my kids 3 days before my period was due with First Response early detection tests with first morning urine.

Also, even if you & dh hit your ovulation window "just right" you still have only about a 25% chance of getting pregnant...i know, not what you want to hear, but its best if you have realistic expectations---makes the waiting easier....of course, some folks knock up quick, so I hope that''s you!!!!!

Hudson Hawk: well, that sounds like bad advice from your doc to me. The March of Dimes recommends women get extra folic acid at least 3 months prior to trying to conceive to help eliminate neural tube defects. I started taking my prenatals months before we started trying. I just bought the generic brand from Safeway. I cooked two babies to perfection on those $10 vitamins. :) And boy are they purty & healthy babies!

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I''m sad to report that I''m PMSing.
7.gif
I can''t recall actually PMSing like this before, but I'' sure it''s just because I''ve never really paid all that much attention to my PMS.

My period is due early next week. My last period started last month around 17th.

DH is pretty bummed.

BUT - it''s not over till the AUNT FLOW arrives.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Metro, you NEVER know! Don''t get disappointed until AF shows up. Stay positive.

lili

Ideal_Rock
Metro,
I wouldn''t be too disappointed until AF comes.
I was sure that AF was going to come for me too as are the PMS symptoms were there for me.
But then a week pass and then 10 days pass (which was the longest that I''ve ever missed my period),
DH and I decided to go get a HPT and verify that I was indeed pregnant.

Fingers crossed for you.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
We did the baby dance on July 4th (a one shot dealie...we weren''t trying...it was just pure "fun"). I took the test on July 20. Honestly, I don''t know what possessed me to take the test. I didn''t feel pregnant physicaly...but I just had a niggling sense that God would find it very humorous to get me knocked up without trying. The test was in no way faint. Two very dark lines on the 20th after I took a flight home from WI to CA. So it wasn''t even a morning pee.

So by my calculations...that''s 16 days after nookie...not sure about how many days after implantation though...

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/12/2007 3:46:10 PM
Author: metro
Well, I'm sad to report that I'm PMSing.
7.gif
I can't recall actually PMSing like this before, but I' sure it's just because I've never really paid all that much attention to my PMS.

My period is due early next week. My last period started last month around 17th.

DH is pretty bummed.

BUT - it's not over till the AUNT FLOW arrives.
actually right before I found out I was pregnant with ds I remember thinking I had the worst case of PMS ever and was wondering why. Come to find out there was a reason but it wasn't PMS! I had a lot of cramping in my abdomen and was really uncomfortable. The cramping didn't last long but I do remember it clearly! Just letting you know that you could still be pregnant and feeling that way.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2007 7:35:14 PM
Author: diamondsrock

7.gif
I can''t recall actually PMSing like this before, but I'' sure it''s just because I''ve never really paid all that much attention to my PMS.

DH is pretty bummed.

actually right before I found out I was pregnant with ds I remember thinking I had the worst case of PMS ever and was wondering why. Come to find out there was a reason but it wasn''t PMS! I had a lot of cramping in my abdomen and was really uncomfortable. The cramping didn''t last long but I do remember it clearly! Just letting you know that you could still be pregnant and feeling that way.

Argg..I STILL have cramping
38.gif
You were lucky yours was short lived!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
metro,
Hang in there, I too had bad signs of PMS and it wasn''t that at all, I was pregnant!! I had boob tenderness, cramping, bloating,etc.. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you guys, good luck!!!
1.gif

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock

7.gif

DH is pretty bummed.

actually right before I found out I was pregnant with ds I remember thinking I had the worst case of PMS ever and was wondering why. Come to find out there was a reason but it wasn''t PMS! I had a lot of cramping in my abdomen and was really uncomfortable. The cramping didn''t last long but I do remember it clearly! Just letting you know that you could still be pregnant and feeling that way.
Ditto on this. I remember being out shopping with DH one day, and I had no idea I was pregnant, I thought I was PMSing. I was hungry, and I remember barking at him that he better find me some food and SOON! This was extremely out of character for me to act this way. I remember joking to him that he better hope I got my period soon, because I was REALLY CRABBY. Little did I know, it was DS2.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/14/2007 11:20:41 PM
Author: Anastasia

7.gif

DH is pretty bummed.

Ditto on this. I remember being out shopping with DH one day, and I had no idea I was pregnant, I thought I was PMSing. I was hungry, and I remember barking at him that he better find me some food and SOON! This was extremely out of character for me to act this way. I remember joking to him that he better hope I got my period soon, because I was REALLY CRABBY. Little did I know, it was DS2.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
LOL! What a sweet story!! That will be me and DH someday.....

Me: "I''m hungry.........FEED ME!" and the unknowing Peanut too....
DH: "You better be PMS''ing....."

an hour later....
Me: "Oh hon.....there''s a reason I''m hungry. BTW, can you make me a sammich?"
DH: "Oh goodie, another 9 months of THAT...."

lol!

I''m crossing fingers and toes for you too Metro!
17.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results