shape
carat
color
clarity

When you find a pricing error like Platinum Tiffany for $99!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was browsing Etsy tonight and somehow came upon a listing for a platinum Tiffany eternity band, three carats total weight for $99! Now it's pretty obvious that is a blatant error and it was listed today and in five people's carts. So I messaged the seller to let them know.

Even if it does sell she can cancel the sale and refund but I'm hoping she sees the message and gets it corrected before then!

Has anyone else ever come across something like this?

IMG_7039.jpg IMG_7040.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like 00 was missing from the price! Should have been $9,900 me thinks. And 5 people were only “thinking about it”?

LOL my thought exactly. Though no way would I feel good about purchasing something like this at an error costing the seller lots of money. Doesn't appeal to my sense of fair and ethical behavior and so it would be a no go for me. Perhaps the potential buyers were experiencing pangs of fairness and that is why they did not pull the trigger? Anyway kudos to you @StephanieLynn for alerting the seller.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Add to cart! They wouldn’t be like a retail store where they have to honor their mistake?! :lol: darn...

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm suspicious. The listing is still up, and it says she has 3 available. Fake?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm suspicious. The listing is still up, and it says she has 3 available. Fake?

There is a ton of that sort of thing on eBay these days! I just saw a gorgeous antique large carat diamond ring (photos from Lang’s website) for under $200 dollars that is « made to order ».
USA address posted on the listing page, but a little research shows the company is in India. I wonder if you actually get a ring, or they just mine your data.

Looks like she fixed it. My guess is she was making the listing and posted too fast.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I agree about the price, should have been $9,900. The ring did sell but on Etsy a seller can cancel a sale and refund so whoever bought it thinking they found the deal of a lifetime will be surprised they did not hit the jackpot.

Maybe it was a total scam, it was just crazy to see. I did catch another error some months back. A seller (also on Etsy) was selling a music box for $2.99 instead of $29.99. I messaged her and she was able to fix it before anyone bought it.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's still showing up 99.00 at 8 am MT.
Beware, there is no return policy.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's still showing up 99.00 at 8 am MT.
Beware, there is no return policy.

When I checked it had sold and there are no items for sale in her shop.

ETA: just checked your link and this is a different seller and shop!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So now this new seller and shop with the same ring has another four people on the hook. No idea what they are thinking, there is no free lunch only food poisoning if you aren't careful.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And now it's gone! We will see if it gets relisted for 9900.00
Some kind of weird shenanigans going on here.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is crazy. The original seller had multiple items listed and at least 23 reviews. So not sure if that was to establish trust before pulling a scam or if it really was an error.

So the second seller is either her again under a new name and shop or it's someone who copied all of her listing info to open a new shop and scam at least three people for an easy $300. Crazy!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bu
This is crazy. The original seller had multiple items listed and at least 23 reviews. So not sure if that was to establish trust before pulling a scam or if it really was an error.

So the second seller is either her again under a new name and shop or it's someone who copied all of her listing info to open a new shop and scam at least three people for an easy $300. Crazy!

Buyer beware!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
There's an ebay seller who posts photos of beautiful antique rings with descriptions that seem to match (e.g., "Old European Filigree Art Deco Engagement Ring 1 Ct Diamond Sapphire") for prices like $113, but if you click through you discover that they're silver CZ knock-offs. The photos are stolen--I've even recognized some from PS! The seller often disappears and reappears with a new name. I can't figure out how to stop them from coming up in my searches, which is a maddening waste of time.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@glitterata, my goodness that is so frustrating. It's almost like when you are searching for "platinum Art Deco" and you get all of that platinum coated Art Deco style junk. Maddening is right.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's an ebay seller who posts photos of beautiful antique rings with descriptions that seem to match (e.g., "Old European Filigree Art Deco Engagement Ring 1 Ct Diamond Sapphire") for prices like $113, but if you click through you discover that they're silver CZ knock-offs. The photos are stolen--I've even recognized some from PS! The seller often disappears and reappears with a new name. I can't figure out how to stop them from coming up in my searches, which is a maddening waste of time.

I have figured out a way to weed them out.
The listing title will say something like
'Antique Diamond ring 14k gold over'
or 'Antique Diamond ring 14k gold fn'
referring to the fact that it is 14k over some other metal , or 14k finish, but fn for short.
They trick you into looking at the item.

So in your search criteria put '-over' and '-fn'.
I search like this:
Antique diamond ring -over -fn -cz -plate -faux -lab
You can add any other words you want to eliminate, just put a minus sign in front.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is again, on Ebay.This may be the real ring and seller listing for 5K

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thanks for the tip about searching, there are so many of those listings, makes you crazy!

Yeah I think that the EBay lister had her listing copied so these Etsy scammers could make an easy $300. Why anyone would think they could get a Tiffany for $99 is beyond me.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will admit I fell for iffy wording this year. I bought a pair of moissanite studs and after I got them I was wth is this? Looked at the listing, "Lab created". Doh! I was thinking, yes, moissanite is lab created. Dumb! This is why vintage/used is better.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scams are all over eBay, my Almond blossom opal ring is available apparently for a few dollars!
This is a current one, I’m wondering if the eBay account has been hacked or sold. Yes, there’s a “black market” for established ebay accounts as it gives the fraudsters more credence and a better chance to get away with the scam. The interesting part of the listing states that shipping takes 6 weeks. I mean, tracked shipping from Australia to anywhere takes less than 2 weeks. And if this “prize” is insured it has to be Courier and that certainly doesn’t take weeks. This is an attempt by the fraudsters to access the funds before the buyer realizes the scam. Ebay will hold the funds 21 days or longer for large transactions. They are also trying add a sense of safety by saying if nothing arrives you get an insurance payout. Very weird. 8CF37540-6846-4B31-BDB0-A623314E8870.jpeg 635345BD-79AB-4851-A2CC-69150CFAA8FF.jpeg 26040263-2432-43B5-8A7E-E322CD053C67.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 you mean I can own that amazing work of art opal ring for a few bucks? Sign me up!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This actually makes me angry to see ...Cassie’s photos. There has always been a bit of this nonsense, but now I’m seeing listing after listing using photos from vendors we know. Gr-r-r I report them when I see them (I just reported this), but does eBay really do anything about it?
F7560FF4-D4CA-4278-AF42-0C5DB2E477CF.jpeg

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This actually makes me angry to see ...Cassie’s photos. There has always been a bit of this nonsense, but now I’m seeing listing after listing using photos from vendors we know. Gr-r-r I report them when I see them (I just reported this), but does eBay really do anything about it?
F7560FF4-D4CA-4278-AF42-0C5DB2E477CF.jpeg

I have also seen this listing, plus many, many others using photo's that I recognise from PSers. It's very naughty & I have reported an ebay vendor in the past for using CvB pictures.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I see the CVB rings quite a bit and I also see PenelliBelle(sp?) rings as well.

I found a seller on Mercari who was selling a diamond ring with pictures from a reputable Etsy seller. So I messaged the Etsy seller to let them know, I hate the idea of someone being scammed.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very curious to know what they send you when you buy one of these rings, ‘cause they sure couldn’t look like the photos.
A long time ago I ordered a diamond band on Etsy that was very reasonably priced (too good to be true, actually, but I was naïve). The photo was beautiful and the company was in NYC.
When the ring arrived it was a cheap mess.
When I told them I wanted my money back, they said I would have to mail the ring to company headquarters in China.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jimmianne, in this case I don't think they send you anything. It is just a quick way to make $300 (3 available as Stracci pointed out). Then their store gets shutdown and they open another one and rinse and repeat.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results