shape
carat
color
clarity

When you don't clean your ring for six years

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
is now a good time to slightly go off on a slight tangent ?
can anyone suggest ways to clean leather braclettes and watch straps ?
poooooo weeeeeee ive had trouble with watch straps for years

i think its getting them wet and then them not drying completly or maybe just good old fashioned sweat ?

(i really don't know how that lady didn't know her earings were smelly because they smell bad if you don't clean them)

Just like with any leather, get a leather cleaner and conditioner and rub in then wipe off.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She said "But nobody is close enough to see the difference!" I said " "See"? "SEE"?? Are you kidding? Your earrings SMELL." I waved them under her nose and I thought she was going to have a stroke. She bought a cleaner immediately and uses it regularly now. People just don't know, on the whole.
:sick:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
is now a good time to slightly go off on a slight tangent ?
can anyone suggest ways to clean leather braclettes and watch straps ?
poooooo weeeeeee ive had trouble with watch straps for years

i think its getting them wet and then them not drying completly or maybe just good old fashioned sweat ?

(i really don't know how that lady didn't know her earings were smelly because they smell bad if you don't clean them)
@Daisys and Diamonds I would take the watch off the straps and scrub the straps and your leather bracelets with Mr. Clean...Let them soak for a while...Then set them outside to dry in the sun. I have a son that had Hockey Equipment that was awful because he would sweat during games and there was no way to wash them because they are formed with hard plastic and padding...I would put them in the bathtub with Mr Clean, scrub them and then dry them in the sun. It made a HUGE difference so I think it would work with your leather straps. It would be worth a try if they aren’t expensive. You could always condition them later...after they’re dry.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just like with any leather, get a leather cleaner and conditioner and rub in then wipe off.
thank you
i have some nice lavender scented stuff around here somewhere i use on a hat
i guess just like the lady who didn't clean her ring for 6 years, its all about cleaning stuff before it gets dirty

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I would take the watch off the straps and scrub the straps and your leather bracelets with Mr. Clean...Let them soak for a while...Then set them outside to dry in the sun. I have a son that had Hockey Equipment that was awful because he would sweat during games and there was no way to wash them because they are formed with hard plastic and padding...I would put them in the bathtub with Mr Clean, scrub them and then dry them in the sun. It made a HUGE difference so I think it would work with your leather straps. It would be worth a try if they aren’t expensive. You could always condition them later...after they’re dry.
thank you
googlerling Me Clean =)2
i think drying in the sun is probably a very good move too

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a "Mom group" meet up in Toronto last year, only 1 of the 7 ladies regularly cleaned her rings!!!!! One of them had never cleaned it since she was engaged, it was a halo and similarly gunked up to all heck underneath. When I was done scrubbing for 20 minutes she couldn't believe it looked "new again" YIKES!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandmother didn’t clean her ring. When my husband took it to the jeweler to do an appraisal on it, it didn’t test as a diamond the first time because it was so scuzzy :oops2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just posted this on another thread...but the short version is I keep my rings really clean....I clean them every other day or sometimes every day. They weren’t as sparkly as usual..so I think whatever I used to clean them was leaving a residue. I decided to use straight rubbing alcohol in my Magnasonic. I almost blinded myself when I took them out. They looked like when the jeweler cleans them. Don’t rinse with water..just take it out and wipe the tables with a paper towel.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just posted this on another thread...but the short version is I keep my rings really clean....I clean them every other day or sometimes every day. They weren’t as sparkly as usual..so I think whatever I used to clean them was leaving a residue. I decided to use straight rubbing alcohol in my Magnasonic. I almost blinded myself when I took them out. They looked like when the jeweler cleans them. Don’t rinse with water..just take it out and wipe the tables with a paper towel.

Joanne, I shouldn't admit this but I still have not cleaned the ring I got from Jonathan. LOL. As you know there is not enough time nor energy in a day for me and it still seems pretty sparkly but I have been wearing it since I got it and not cleaned it once...Your post gave me the push and I am going to clean it (probably) today. :geek:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joanne, I shouldn't admit this but I still have not cleaned the ring I got from Jonathan. LOL. As you know there is not enough time nor energy in a day for me and it still seems pretty sparkly but I have been wearing it since I got it and not cleaned it once...Your post gave me the push and I am going to clean it (probably) today. :geek:
I can see why you wouldn’t have time or even inclination to clean anything else. You’ve been giving your house a deep clean every day because of your furries..I wouldn’t even think about cleaning my jewelry if I was doing what you’re doing!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a "Mom group" meet up in Toronto last year, only 1 of the 7 ladies regularly cleaned her rings!!!!! One of them had never cleaned it since she was engaged, it was a halo and similarly gunked up to all heck underneath. When I was done scrubbing for 20 minutes she couldn't believe it looked "new again" YIKES!

I have seen some people post online that they need to get new rings every few years because theirs stop sparkling after a while... probably they don’t sparkle because they’ve never been cleaned! Great gig for whatever jeweler is getting those upgrades though, lol.

I’ve heard from jewelers that it’s really terrible when you have to work on a r ink and you’ve cleaned and cleaned it but there’s gunk that won’t come out, and then you turn the torch on it and it smells like burnt flesh and trash :O

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve heard from jewelers that it’s really terrible when you have to work on a r ink and you’ve cleaned and cleaned it but there’s gunk that won’t come out, and then you turn the torch on it and it smells like burnt flesh and trash :O

Yes it's like eye glasses. I have friends who are opticians and wow the stories they can tell about disgusting filthy eyewear. And that is worn on one's face. Ugh.

I can see why you wouldn’t have time or even inclination to clean anything else. You’ve been giving your house a deep clean every day because of your furries..I wouldn’t even think about cleaning my jewelry if I was doing what you’re doing!

Thanks Joanne. It really is sparkly still and if it wasn't I would have cleaned it by now. Sparkly gems give me pleasure and we can all use a little bit of sparkling pleasure in our days.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should have said to only clean diamonds and gold, platinum in the alcohol. It could hurt gemstones. @bling_dream19 Don’t put your new pink sapphire band in alcohol!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think that a lot of people don't think about cleaning their glasses or jewelry just like they also probably don't clean their phones on the regular either. It just doesn't occur to them that these items collect dirt and skin cells and germs and therefore need to be cleaned on the regular.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6 years...oh my!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I found a cheap ultrasonic around $20 that is supposedly really good for eye glasses. It also says it will do jewelry. I get delivery of it in 2 weeks....
I will report back my thoughts on it.

it might be also as good as the $ I paid for it. But if it does a good job, then I will link it here and it could be one thing that ppl could have instead of going to Jewelers to have it cleaned or spend 20mins cleaning 6yo dirt and grime! Lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I wont for sure thanks @Mamabean you've got our backs! Is it rubbing alcohol you use? I will have to try it!

Yes rubbing alcohol. It’s amazing!

May I add one thing. I think using 91% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol for jewelry cleaning is best over the lower percentage alcohol. It dries faster.
Here's a link I just got from google to illustrate what I am posting but I first found out about this from PS. It works like a charm. Higher percentage isopropyl alcohol.

Use 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean alcohol-safe jewelry

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
May I add one thing. I think using 91% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol for jewelry cleaning is best over the lower percentage alcohol. It dries faster.
Here's a link I just got from google to illustrate what I am posting but I first found out about this from PS. It works like a charm. Higher percentage isopropyl alcohol.

Ahh! I just looked and I have two big bottles of 70% from Costco. I’ll use them up and then get the 91%! Thanks!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh! I just looked and I have two big bottles of 70% from Costco. I’ll use them up and then get the 91%! Thanks!

I got mine from Amazon. Not this brand (that's currently unavailable) but here's one that looks good and relatively inexpensive too. Though you don't need so much.

OK found what I purchased.

I love the ease of use of a spray bottle.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got mine from Amazon. Not this brand (that's currently unavailable) but here's one that looks good and relatively inexpensive too. Though you don't need so much.

Haha..I’m a soaker... :lol:

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock

I'm soaking in the 70% - how long? Can't wait to see the sparkle!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I soaked in 70% because that's what I have and it's super sparkly! Maybe this weekend I will try the alcohol in my new GemOro and see what happens! :):lol:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once made the mistake of offering to clean a friend's mum's watch - it hadn't been cleaned in about 10 years and she was a smoker.

It was not pleasant... :shock:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny, that does not sound at all pleasant and watches have all those little nooks and crannies, bleach!

I am seeing DH's cousin tonight and I'm coming armed with toothbrush and Dawn!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny, that does not sound at all pleasant and watches have all those little nooks and crannies, bleach!

I am seeing DH's cousin tonight and I'm coming armed with toothbrush and Dawn!
So you do jewelry cleaning housecalls? :lol::lol:

Please come to my house! I assure you the jewelry is spotless, but we would have fun anyway!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results