shape
carat
color
clarity

When will you call it quits?

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Do any of you collectors or jewelry addicts ever see the day when you will quit collecting pieces? When will you know that it is time to quit collecting? I am looking for guidance.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1380080655|3526809 said:
When it looks like this...

(snip of link).

I was very surprised when I visited that link, Dancing Fire. I had expected to find something more along the lines of the image below (of course there would be more watches, but you get the idea).

Deb ;))

whendfstops.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
braga123|1380075864|3526758 said:
When will you know that it is time to quit collecting?
I am looking for guidance.

screen_shot_2013-09-24_at_10.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
braga123|1380075864|3526758 said:
Do any of you collectors or jewelry addicts ever see the day when you will quit collecting pieces? When will you know that it is time to quit collecting? I am looking for guidance.

When it stops bringing me joy. Part of the fun is the search/hunt and not just the jewelry itself though that is a big part. When/if it starts being more stressful than it is worth that's when I am done collecting.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Me = Kenny.

There's always a MUST at the end of the rainbow & as needs, opportunities, & tastes change, some to pass on to new homes.

--- Laurie

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have one more big-for-me project, and a pendant reset down the road, and that's it for me. We just don't have the money for it to be a fun hobby for me, which makes it incredibly stressful.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
missy said:
When it stops bringing me joy. Part of the fun is the search/hunt and not just the jewelry itself though that is a big part. When/if it starts being more stressful than it is worth that's when I am done collecting.

This is beautifully said. Cosign!

More specifically ...I come from a family of jewelry-giving people. For me, pretty much all special occasions are commemorated by bling, and looking over it is like visiting a memory palace: every birthday and anniversary and holiday, happily coexisting.

You know how auction houses will periodically have entire auctions based on the collection of a single person? It's my ambition to be one of *those.* It would mean I'd had a lot to celebrate! On the other hand, if "curating" ever becomes too stressful? That's when I move on.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'm pretty much there right now. I am currently culling out the collection to only those pieces that I love and wear. What's the use of having all that jewelry just to have it sit? I have my list of wants that I am filling and when that is done I think I will be pretty much done. I find as I get older I'm much more interested in quality vs quantity. That's not to say that something may not catch my eye in the future :naughty: but my days of having to have something in every color and cut are long gone.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I'm happy with the rings I've got now. Another I think would be a case of diminishing returns, it simply wouldn't bring me more joy than I already experience with what I have and I wouldn't be happy with more money going in that direction. I've also got an earring collection I'm happy with, although these tend to cost so much less I can stretch to another pair but they'll have to be spectacular. Necklaces - they're a bit like my favourite plates or mugs to eat and drink from, I'm used to them, I'm comfortable using them and I love them. Two or three heirloom pieces from Iceland. Bracelets, have lovely heirloom ones if only I'd remember to wear them.

Oh yes I do want a diamond eternity band - bands to mix up to create different looks. One with small diamonds to not overwhelm my .5 solitaire.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think this is an excellent question. I have bought very little in the past five yrs. I have several stones I want to set and need some complimentary stones to do that. So I look, but only to see if I can complete what I have. I am satisfied with what i have and very recently have decided that I just don't feel good about putting more money in jewelry. I have about 10 pieces I would get rid of, but I wouldn't replace them.

So, it depend on your funds and your desires. A few quality pieces would be nice, interspersed with fun pieces or not as expensive but beautiful, as in amythest, as a start. Be sure you do not become addicted to buying. Take your time and decide what you like before you buy. It is fun looking, and I still enjoy it, but basically, I'm done.

Annette

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom|1380113193|3526971 said:
I think I'm pretty much there right now. I am currently culling out the collection to only those pieces that I love and wear. What's the use of having all that jewelry just to have it sit? I have my list of wants that I am filling and when that is done I think I will be pretty much done. I find as I get older I'm much more interested in quality vs quantity. That's not to say that something may not catch my eye in the future :naughty: but my days of having to have something in every color and cut are long gone.

This is exactly where I am at... while the journey to get here has been so much fun and filled with so much learning and discovery, I have slowed down considerably - I regularly review my loose stones and my jewelry boxes trying to winnow down to what I am terming my core collection, and there are still a couple of gemstones I hope to find and several settings waiting to happen - beyond that, I still take joy in appreciating colored gemstones in particular and the myriad ways to showcase them (even if the stones and settings are not mine)!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
When I'm dead.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with Kenny!

I love looking around and finding styles I like. Then the planning and searching for just the right piece. I've been thinking of one piece for the last several years that will have to be custom made (that one will have to wait for 10+ years).

Poor FI doesn't understand jewelry. He figures it must be something caused by a hormone shared by women and penguins :rolleyes: :lol:
Luckily he is supportive of my liking jewelry and is okay with any purchases I feel like making so long as our budget allows :bigsmile:

Now....
Back to studying for differential equations so we can have another income to support that budget!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nothing makes me get out of bed and smile all the way to work like having a box containing something sparkly in the mail. I thought I was on hiatus earlier this year after an epic ebay / ruby lane spree and the completion of my CC garnet ring. Then I got engaged....

I'm going back on hiatus after the wedding until I replenish my bling budget.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think for the most part I'm calling it quits now - the only thing I really wanted was to reset my OEC, and now that I've done that I just don't really have a desire to purchase anything else. As much as I love diamonds and jewelry, I really don't wear much and am happy with the few staple pieces I have. I also feel I've reached my limit as far as putting money into jewelry. I'm not saying I'll never buy another piece of jewelry as long as I live, and I do have a 5 stone band I'd like to reset someday, but I'm pretty content to just admire everyone else's new bling!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I love some of the pictures posted!

I'm finished collecting, really. I just have a gold necklace to get but the one I like is only $500.

If I get too much more, it won't be worn, I have so much. I have carefully picked every piece, I love every item, none of it was a rip-off, and many were fantastic bargains. Most of it is wearable for everyday. I have collected all my core items plus some amazing decorative pieces that popped up along the way. But there really isn't much else I want that I would wear. I mean, I have spent a ton of money. Not to say I'll never buy jewellery again, but I'm pretty much done, having got everything I would ever want, within reason (i.e. I can't afford a 2-carat D VS1 Crafted By Infinity diamond, as it would rush me about 70k!)

When to stop is individual. I've spent as much as I'm comfortable spending, for quite a long time, and I've got everything I really wanted and could reasonably afford. Perhaps those are good parameters?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Realistically... I'll call it quits when I no longer have disposable income to - well. Dispose of.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm done. Hard to believe, but at 54 I don't need anything else. On to purses for me.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, too, am with kenny. ::) ;))

I have found that it's not about having multiple pieces, but about always wanting to upgrade a stone or change a setting for something I already have. I like having "signature pieces" that I wear every day.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm already done. Rings were bringing me stress instead of happiness, so I sold basically everything I owned.

For now, I only have wedding bands. And I feel really good about it! I still enjoy reading about other peoples' purchases though!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I imagine I'll be at this at a very slow (but extremely enjoyable) pace for some time. My grandmother received gifts of jewelry in her 80s and I remember thinking how wonderful it was that she still pursued a passion and enjoyed beauty. I hope to be like that! But my collection will never be big by PS standards (lotto winning excepted).

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably won't purchase much else. Every now and then I think about something else but I really have enough.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Those pictures made me laugh out loud!

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the replies...sincere and funny...they really do help me reflect on my addiction...I mean, relationship, with jewelry.

I think that I get caught up in the chase...I love finding unique treasures and knowing that they can be mine...absolutely mine...that is, until I realize that I don't wear the piece as much as I thought I would...then I feel guilty so I sell it ...and the cycle repeats itself.

It's good to know that I am not alone.

makhro82

Shiny_Rock
I've barely started. I'm in the process of upgrading my ering. I have six pieces that I need to have what I see as my "staples" collection:

1. Nice watch
2. Locket
3. Studs with jackets
4. Asscher emerald RHR
5. Eternity Ring
6. Milgrain bezel necklace

I think my next purchase will be the nice watch and I will consider my left arm/hand done for now.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I'm no longer interested.

I haven't bought anything or made any progress on my projects in the last several months because I've been paying attention to other things. My attention will roll back around to jewelry in a while, and then I'll find something else. Maybe I'll eventually give up interest altogether (though I've not yet seen that happen with an interest of mine).

I kind of see it as asking a sports fan when he's going to stop buying season tickets for his favorite team. It's just kind of a question that doesn't really make sense.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1380182694|3527535 said:
I kind of see it as asking a sports fan when he's going to stop buying season tickets for his favorite team. It's just kind of a question that doesn't really make sense.
:appl:
for a while there i just wanted to accumulate 'one of everything', but already I am feeling more contemplative.
There is just so, so, so much out there! Looking at jewellery can be a great introduction to a world of art, design, culture and history!
Not to mention gemmology. Appreciation of jewellery can even give you added appreciation for the natural world, as well as the cultural world.

What's not to love?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm nearly done.... I hope! I'd love to find a French Cut eternity band in a size 6 but really that's the only thing on my bucket list... at this time. Boy! It feels good! I think after my last purchase I need to sign up for the 12 Step Program. :o

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I keep coming back to this thread to read people's answers. I think what I find so interesting is the idea that an enjoyable thing should be finite. I felt that way about, say, smoking, which is was actively bad for me - I'd quit when I passed my orals, submitted my thesis, graduated, whatever. But it was a thing I KNEW was bad for me that I should quit. I guess I don't really see much of anything else in my life that way ... the internet, maybe? :cheeky:

With jewelry, I think of it more as a collection than as something utilitarian that I need to use X times per year to have it pay for itself. Exercise equipment, on the other hand, or for that matter, anything else that takes up a lot of space in my NYC apartment ... that will get jettisoned cold-bloodedly (just cleared another 8 shelves worth of books in my last cull, yay!). Sure, it helps that jewelry takes up next to no space, but things like my vintage train case collection do, and *they* don't bug me, because they're a source of pleasure, and that's their only point.

Maybe it's the difference between the "one ring" mentality and the "ring a day" mentality - the minimalist mentality vs. the collector's mentality?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results