shape
carat
color
clarity

When they screw up engraving...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
has this happened to anyone? Do you just roll with it? I am figuring I have no choice. It was a minor screw up, but it messes up the meaning what is engraved in a more substantial way. I got it today, and instead of using the symbol "&", they spelled it out as "and".

Just wondering if anyone has had an engraving screw up and if there is anything that can be done. Although I did not emphasize the "&" be used, it is what I typed when I submitted my engraving request.

saturn

Shiny_Rock
When FI received our wedding bands last week, he discovered that the engraving on my ring was screwed up. When he contacted the company, they acknowledged the error and said that if he shipped it back to them (they paid for the shipping) they would fix it for free. I''m not sure if that means they can fix the original band, or if it means they will just engrave another ring with the correct words and send it.

What item were you having engraved? I would try contacting the engraver to see what they can do for you. They should have known to engrave exactly what you typed, unless they spoke with you first.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2006 4:21:47 PM
Author: saturn
When FI received our wedding bands last week, he discovered that the engraving on my ring was screwed up. When he contacted the company, they acknowledged the error and said that if he shipped it back to them (they paid for the shipping) they would fix it for free. I''m not sure if that means they can fix the original band, or if it means they will just engrave another ring with the correct words and send it.

What item were you having engraved? I would try contacting the engraver to see what they can do for you. They should have known to engrave exactly what you typed, unless they spoke with you first.
That''s my dilemma...they can''t engrave a new one...this one was ordered from Jeff Cooper and took three weeks. They can''t send it back.

However, they emailed me back promptly and the engraver totally acknowledged it was her fault. She explained they do not have the "&" and have to spell it out. She offered to hand engrave it if I want to send it back. I am wondering if it is worth the trouble of getting rid of the first engraving...it might be safer to leave it as is?

Well, I have been impressed with the service of Robbins Jewelers (not to be confused with Robbins Brothers here in Cali) and it just goes to show you that coming back to the customer and going "it''s my fault, here''s how we can fix it" goes a long way to mollifying the customer. It still kind of makes me sad that the engraving is not quite right, but I know I would get over it a lot easier knowing that it''s my decision to keep it as is...

Thanks for your input Saturn.

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
I had a huge screw up with my wedding band. Along with my eternity wedding band, my husband thought it would be a good idea if we got matching platinum bands a well. We had to special order mine, because they didn''t have a size 4 in stock.

My custom, especially made for me, size 4 band came back engraved: Charlotte and Joseph June 20, 1995. Never mind that my name is Roppongi and my husbands name is NOT Joseph and we were married on March 15, 1997 left a really horrible taste in my mouth.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2006 5:46:55 PM
Author: roppongi
I had a huge screw up with my wedding band. Along with my eternity wedding band, my husband thought it would be a good idea if we got matching platinum bands a well. We had to special order mine, because they didn''t have a size 4 in stock.

My custom, especially made for me, size 4 band came back engraved: Charlotte and Joseph June 20, 1995. Never mind that my name is Roppongi and my husbands name is NOT Joseph and we were married on March 15, 1997 left a really horrible taste in my mouth.
Yikes! Did they fix it or send you another one?

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
They sent me a new one, but I still didn''t have it engraved by my wedding date. Ugh. Thinking about it gets me really upset.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
So it gets worse...

They also shortened "October 6, 2006" to 10-06-2006, which I didn''t think was a big deal. My fiance could handle the "and" issue, but when he saw the date, he was not happy. He says they made TWO mistakes, as well as screwing up the date. For him, this is a BIG screw up...in Australia and many other countries they do the date "day/month/year" instead of month/day/year like we do. So now in his eyes, we are getting married June 10, 2006.

He wants a new ring done...he''s afraid that the ring will be ruined with a re-engraving. Would that be the case? I don''t know how platinum would take a new polish and engraving.

saturn

Shiny_Rock
I''m no expert, but I *think* that it is safe to remove engraving from platinum, if it is done by burnishing (which doesn''t remove metal from the surface, it just redistributes it).

Since it sounds like you and your fiance are unhappy with the engraving, I would suggest having either the original engravers remove the engraving and re-do it correctly OR sending it to a different jeweler to do the same thing. You both deserve to be completely happy with your rings

Here''s a short thread from Diamondtalk that covers this issue:
http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/t42970-canyouremoveengravinginsidetheplatinumband.html

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
see this is why i didn''t bother with engraving!! hehehe.
31.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Saturn...

And Mara, you''re right. I didn''t want it. FI did. Bah.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results