shape
carat
color
clarity

When the cat is stalking the fridge.....

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It probably isn't looking for a cheerio!

Okay so today I noticed my very well fed cat stalking the refrigerator. We have had a few mice recently that we trapped and let go (I know there is never just a few) but they have mainly kept to one cabinet. Now though they are starting to get a little more brazen,

So I get on the floor with the cat after taking the front grate off and low and behold there is the little bugger staring back at me from behind the drip pan. Okay so now I'm thinking I have to get him out. I shake the drip pan and the mouse comes barreling out, I run screaming, bang into the dog water bowl which sends water flying everywhere, the cat is somewhat going for the mouse but a very futile effort. Plus I didn't really want him to catch it because you never know what it could have. Just a total hot mess.

As of right now I am holed up in the bedroom with the dogs with a humane trap set out with peanut butter in a kitchen that looks like a typhoon went through it. My husband isn't freaked out because I guess he had nice growing up but we never had anything more than ants so I am a wreck.

Anyone with experience in mouse control? I want to put something under the fridge to deter them but we have pets and kids so it has to be safe for them. I know there are other types of traps but we really just want to relocate them and deter them rather than have them dying in the walls or on glue traps :knockout:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My parents had mice recently, and caught a bunch with PEANUT BUTTER and this trap. They put the traps where they spotted the droppings.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tomcat-Single-Catch-Live-Trap-BL33538/205655131

Forget the tube of goo home depot sells - the mice shunned it when they tried it instead of peanut butter.

Their 18 year old cat? Well, she just screamed at night out of fright when she saw the mouse/mice. HAHAHAHA. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does your refrigerator have a water feed line for an ice maker/water dispenser? The hole drilled into the floor (or wall) to accommodate this line makes a lovely entry way for mice who can squeeze through the smallest spaces. Stuffing it with steel wool keeps them out.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the suggestions about steel wool and peanut butter!

So quick update is I caught the mouse with some help from my cats. I ended up cornering him under the baseboard heater and, I'm not proud of this, but I sprayed Lysol to get him out then I was able to get him into a box and drive him and release him. I feel bad about the Lysol but I'm hoping he recovers and makes it.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I'd rather spray the lysol than risk my cat ingesting the mouse that's got god knows what buggies and viruses. That was quick thinking on your part in a stressful situation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results