shape
carat
color
clarity

When Life Gets You Down....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
What do you do to pick yourself up? Lots of stuff going on negative in my life right now. So just curious, when you encounter stuff that makes you worried, anxious, etc. what picks you up?

Here are some of mine:

Walking/Running
Playing with our pup
Listening to music - Pandora.com is great!
Right now, listening to Jeff Dunham and Peanut on YouTube - Love him/them!!!! This is great!!!! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZjMgbRUsZM

Please share your ideas.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I like to give myself a full day to wallow in it. No sense in suppressing it by avoidance, it''ll still come back to get you. Go ahead and indulgence in a limited pity party IMO. Then it''s easier to say to yourself "well, that''s that...I dealt, now I move on".

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t get down very often, but when I am stressed, I go for a walk on the beach. Nothing like looking at the big expansive ocean to make my problems feel small.

And the new one for me is tickling my daughter. Kiddie giggles make the sun come out.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with PP... wallow in it for a bit, give yourself a good cry or scream or whatever and then typically move on...

But things that make me happy when I am in the moving on stage and feel like I can fully ''appreciate'' the good things:
-Listening to my favorite music or dance-worthy stuff
-A beautiful garden or a walk through a place with lots of in-bloom flowers
-Organizing or cleaning up the house
-A snuggle with the pup
-An old movie from the 80''s! (Weird Science, Real Genius etc)

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 4:00:02 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I like to give myself a full day to wallow in it. No sense in suppressing it by avoidance, it''ll still come back to get you. Go ahead and indulgence in a limited pity party IMO. Then it''s easier to say to yourself ''well, that''s that...I dealt, now I move on''.
Moving on from big family issues is very, very hard - ie family members having nervous breakdowns, etc.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 4:12:02 PM
Author: merrijoy

Date: 7/21/2009 4:00:02 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I like to give myself a full day to wallow in it. No sense in suppressing it by avoidance, it''ll still come back to get you. Go ahead and indulgence in a limited pity party IMO. Then it''s easier to say to yourself ''well, that''s that...I dealt, now I move on''.
Moving on from big family issues is very, very hard - ie family members having nervous breakdowns, etc.
The same can still apply though merrijoy...you wallow, cry, scream or whatever and then take a deep breath and tackle it with the best attitude you can. You just might need more "pity party" days here and there.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Hanging out with your best friends, in tough times I found you find who those are and spending some time with them reaffirms that no matter what they will be there, than I get happy for a little bit.

Other things I like to do is exercise and shop.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This might sound weird, but if the thing that''s bothering me is big, as in life-changing big, I think about what is the worst that could happen in that event and then make a step by step plan for how I would handle it. If I can come up with a plan for how to handle the worst that could happen, I feel more comfortable that I''ll be able to handle what actually does happen.

On family-related disputes, I''ve learned the hard way to take the "step back" approach. I may not agree with decisions that some of my adult family members make, but as long as they aren''t hurting me or others, I just step back and let them do whatever they''ve decided to do. If they ask for my advice or help, I''ll step back in. And if they are doing things that bother me, I limit my involvement with them until either I''m in a better frame of mind to handle it or they stop doing what''s bothering me. Stepping back has actually been more effective than when I step in and try to manage the situation.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
before I had kids, moved out into the desert, it was a nice hike! running too. Now its just playing with my kids, when they giggle it takes my troublesome mind away. But I do like to just break down and cry
39.gif
sometimes, not too often, it feels good and cathartic for me.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I talk about it w/JD, my mom, my bff. Depending on what it is, I try to deal with it by facing it head on and getting things taken care of, rather than lollygag and drag it out. I play on here a lot and get lost looking at everyone''s pretties..browse vendor sites and play the "if I had money" game. Watch design shows on hgtv, read books. Yardwork is nice b/c you can work a lot of problems out in your mind while you''re working.

There''s always people here to listen too, if you feel like talking!

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
well i usually went out to sushi with my BFF but she moved across the country
39.gif
39.gif

now...i go to the spa...nothing better than a mani, pedi, facial
4.gif
...before that i do cry it out tho.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with PP. Feel your feelings for a limited amount of time. Let them out, no bottling. Bottling will just make them seep out at inappropriate times. So, cry, yell, hit the bed, journal, etc.

Then, when the feelings well up again...tell the mind, I've dealt with this. If they're truly overwhelming, journal. Writing gets the feelings out in a constructive way. Family members having nervous breakdowns IS tragic, but it isn't YOUR tragedy. You don't have to take it on. It is very, very unfortunate. But you can still keep yourself sane through the storm.

Music is good. Dancing to the music is even better! Gets your body moving and gets the negative feelings and energy out of your body. Imagine the negative energy moving from your chest, through your arms, and out through your finger tips. Sounds frou frou, I know, but it works.

I'm a true believer that if you dwell on the negative, more negativity will come to you. You must talk to yourself. You must tell yourself that yes, these bad things might be happening right now, but good things happen each day as well. Then remind yourself of the good things. Good things look like, comfy beds with soft down comforters, delicious iced mochas, the smile on your loved ones faces, nourishing incredible dinners that fuel your body and mind. Sure, small stuff, but the world is full of small stuff and it's that small stuff that keeps us going.

I hope that things look up for you soon...

ETA:I'm sorry I wrote this in a very advice giving way. It's early and coffee hasn't set in. please forgive.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I watch inspirational chick flicks. One of my favorites is Under the Tuscan Sun. Her life goes to hell and she takes a huge risk and moves & starts life over. Watching it makes me feel like if she can accomplish what she has, I can, as well. Every time I watch it, I cry!!! Maybe it helps eliviate some of my "self pity," that builds up over time.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
um...

Zanax.

36.gif

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I just go to bed and sleep it off.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
When I get down, I just think how many people in this world have it a million times worse than I do, and how I really have nothing serious to complain about. I think most of us are actually pretty lucky. That always makes me feel better.
2.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry you''re down, Merrijoy.

When I''m upset, I sit by the train tracks, watch the trains go by, and make up stories in my head about where I would go if I got on one of them.
Or, I pop popcorn, watch a favorite movie, and cry.
Or I read a good book.
Or go to a movie.

The best thing, though, is playing with our dog and cats. They always cheer me up.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
whenever I start to feel sad or sorry for myself...I immediately think about my grandmother. She was a widow by the age of 28 with five children, gave up whatever money she inherited from my grandfather (his family said she married him for his money
38.gif
), came to NYC with 5 children alone, no money...but worked, fed, clothed and kept all 5 children safe and loved. When I feel overwhelmed I just think of her and her strength. Her ability to overcome all she did without ever complaining is a reminder that I have no right to complain or throw myself a pity party...she had it so much harder than I have ever had.

That does it for me..my memory of her just makes me feel better immediately!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
When things are dumpy I like to make sure I get exercise and ensure I''m getting enough sleep! When you''re well rested, the world is just a better place! AND (as long as the troubles are not financial
2.gif
) a little retail therapy never hurts!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can tell you from experience not to dwell on the negative... You have to let things go. Yes take time to cry, to scream, or whatever works for you. BUT don't do it for too long, or you could fall into that black hole of depression. Just saying... Some people will some people won't. You can't generalize..

Right now I am dealing with losing my Mom. I can only do so much. I can only help my dad so much. BUT I CAN take care of myself.... I got lost being a caregiver to my grandparents for so many years.. 17 years or so, give or take...

I love seeing my friends, many of whom are in the same boat as me.. We all are at this stage now. They make me smile, they understand, we are always there for each other...

I am loving my studies for my GG with GIA, am doing the distance program and am almost done the second course. It's great to focus on something other than what is going on right now... I am doing well, and have suprised myself so that's a big plus...

Find what makes you feel better, and do it. If it's taking a yoga class, or curling up with a book, or meeting a friend for coffee...

I love music and have my fave CD's in my room and in the car... Music really can lift your spirits, can't imagine life without it.

I hope some of what I said is helpful to you. HUGS!!! I think we have all been there...
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results