shape
carat
color
clarity

When is the "slow" season for diamond jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure it isn''t now, LOL! Is there a lull between New Year''s and Valentine''s Day for jewelers and vendors? When is the best time of year to shop for yourself to get the best prices, or is there such a time of year?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
My guess is that there is not much of a lull between Jan 1 and Feb 14. Custom jewelry can take a while, as can finding just the right diamond. 6-7 weeks is not that much time to put a jewelry project together.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 9:21:40 PM
Author:lumpkin
I''m sure it isn''t now, LOL! Is there a lull between New Year''s and Valentine''s Day for jewelers and vendors? When is the best time of year to shop for yourself to get the best prices, or is there such a time of year?
there certainly are lulls at different times in the year. couldn''t tell you from a retail jewelers perspective though when they''re most inclined to give the best discounts but the xmas-valentines gap may be a possible window. I''d venture that some keep their prices pretty uniform regardless of the pace of business. sort of a "sticking to your guns" :)

you may want to keep in mind if you have thoughts for buying a large stone the diamond list price may go up (as it''s been rising consecutively for months now) and you''d lose in the higher list price what you gain in the waiting time.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
online with the PS dealers when you have the money is the right time to buy.
Prices arent going to get less because they work on too low margins to have "sales".
There has been a rather large price increase lead by Debeers in late Jan early Feb the last few years.
It looks like the Christmas season was a good one so im expecting another increase.
Last year it was 2% with a 2% marketing fee for an overnight jump of 4%.
The year before it was around 8%-10% in a couple steps.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone. I''m actually looking for ready to buy jewelry, like drop earrings with melee, not like a solitaire diamond. I''m kind of thinking that the lull won''t really occur until after the June wedding season. And maybe there really is no lull.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lumpkin, most of what I have bought has been in the late August to early November time frame. These were second hand and estate pieces, though. I found that there is indeed a lull after the spring wedding and aniversary sales and custom work rush are past. By late August, hardly anyone is looking, it''s too early for Christmas (majority of men don''t shop ahead, LOL), and the jewelers and dealers are stocking up for Christmas but few early buyers and the selection is very good. Price just depends on how badly someone wants to make a sale or settle an estate.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In my neck of the woods July is the slowest time since everyone is out fishing, skiing, camping, etc. When it is slow there is always someone hungry enough to give you a better deal than when it is busy. I am not sure if there is a national lull period, but I know there are local ones.

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results