clarity

When I stopped taking HBC, I...

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Clairitek|1301160496|2880748 said:
elledizzy5|1301102803|2880492 said:
got clear skin!

Let me explain:

I was on ortho tricyclen for 5 years. It made me bat shiz crazy, but gave me fantastic skin. I went off of it any my skin was HORRIBLE. I jumped back on a new pill immediately because the acne was crushing! I tried out Ocella (Yasmin generic) and it improved my skin, but it never completely cleared. I just went off of Ocella after a few years, and my skin is completely clear. I was so worried I would be stuck on HBC for the rest of my life due to acne! For some reason getting on Ocella and getting back off cleared it up!

Haven't had a period yet, so I'll let you know! :)

I'm on Ocella now and my skin is pretty decent. My skin wasn't ever great but I've gotten better at taking care of it as I get older (not using such harsh cleansers, etc.) so I'm not sure which thing is more responsible for my improved skin. I guess I will find out when I go off of the Ocella!

I've been off and on HBC for years and wasn't on it when dating my DH until a month before we got married. I noticed a HUGE drop in my libido when I went back on the pill after a 2 year break (we were using condoms instead). I will probably go off of the HBC late this year and I cannot wait to get that sex drive back in full!

Cara and others have mentioned feeling more sex drive around ovulation. I definitely had the same experience. Amazing how our bodies work!

Question for those of you who are off HBC but not actively TTC: I'm assuming that you're using FAM to avoid. Are you temping? Using OPKs? Just a calendar and using condoms or something during your fertile window?

We've been using condoms for the past 9 months. I did use OPKs, but just to monitor my cycle so that I knew I was ovulating regularly. I also charted for a short time, but didn't use the OPKs or charting to avoid. We felt condoms were the best way to mitigate risks until we were ready.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I talked to DH about going off of HBC sooner rather than later (as in, going off now rather than December or so) but neither of us are wild about the use of condoms and we're too worried about getting pregnant before we want to, which seems to be the consensus around here! I guess we shall wait 8 more months, or so. I'm definitely counting down the cycles until I can be rid of those things for a little while. He was sorely tempted by the "I will have a better sex drive!" remark but not so much that he was willing to take the risk just yet (or use condoms all the time) so pills it is!

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
How long did you girls go off HBC before these 'changes' happened? I'm only off by a few days so I know I won't feel different yet, but I'm interested to know what to look forward (or not) to!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Muffdog, it's different for each person but the standard medical answer is "roughly 3 cycles" I'm on my 3rd cycle now but coming up to 5 months off HBC. My cycles are now VERY long.

Claritek, I temp'd after getting off HBC. But DH and I were nearing the point of TTCing, so not trying but not preventing. There was long dry spells for me but I think it had more to do with life getting in the way of romance, y'know?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I just feel better when I'm off HBC. I can't really describe it, but it's sort of like a fog is lifted.

My last stint on HBC- after being on it for about 3 months, I got some blood work done. My cholesterol numbers were completely whacked out (super high bad cholesterol, and low good cholesterol...the opposite of what I normally have). The pill had been the only change.

Went off the pill and got rechecked 2 months later and everything was back to normal. Never again will I go on HBC, or any other thing that has synthetic hormones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results