shape
carat
color
clarity

When going the custom route...

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
how do you ensure that you will end up liking the finished product? Since, presumably, refunds or exchanges are not an option?

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I would only venture into a custom piece if I was confident in the design I wanted and was working with a designer whose aesthetic I like. A designer has to interpret your directions and sometimes that does not work. There are many designers who are able to make a wax of the piece you want and this way you can make modifications before they start on the piece. Also, work with a designer who has a reputation for great customer service so that if things don't go as well as you hoped, they will work with you.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
I posted this in your other thread, but in your situation I would not go custom since you have a pretty straightforward design in mind and any number of casting companies should have something very much like what you are looking for. Then you just need to select your sapphire (either on your own, or having a jeweler source it for you) and have the jeweler order the setting and set your stone. It should come out cheaper than custom and cheaper than either of the stock pendants you were looking at. And there's much less risk that the pendant won't turn out how it should.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
But how would I go about selecting a jeweler for a project happening in the US when I'm in the UK?

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
I'm guessing a board jeweler would ship to you or to your family in the U.S., Michael E (Gemshoppe), Wink Jones (High Performance Diamonds), someone like that. It's my understanding too that Daniel M works with casting companies, so as long as you have a dialogue open with him, maybe ask him if he could use a stock setting to bring the cost back within your budget.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
you can also work with someone who will do CADs of the finished design. Or as someone said, use a stock setting so you know what it looks like.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1309969289|2962842 said:
But how would I go about selecting a jeweler for a project happening in the US when I'm in the UK?

Is there a reason you need to use a US jeweller? I've just used an amazing guy here in the UK. Was super-impressed with the quality and I'm hard to please.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Pandora|1310034176|2963592 said:
mayerling|1309969289|2962842 said:

Is there a reason you need to use a US jeweller? I've just used an amazing guy here in the UK. Was super-impressed with the quality and I'm hard to please.

Well, no, but presumably I would be buying the stone and setting from the US given the cheaper prices.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Just remember to add the 20% VAT plus the 5% duty on top of the US prices.

I've often found I've saved on the stones, but once I add the extra 5% duty on the whole thing (loose stones don't attract duty) then the exchange rate has to be pretty amazing for me to make a saving, especially as it's a complete nightmare if you need things fixed (and it does happen).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results