shape
carat
color
clarity

When do you start shopping for gifts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I start thinking about gifts and what to buy someone at least a couple of weeks in advance of the occasion. I find it hard to find the right gifts for people.

How far in advance do you start shopping for friends and family?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m always on the lookout and if I see something perfect for someone and it''s on sale, I grab it even if their birthday isn''t for 6 months! But if I don''t have anything, I usually start thinking about it around a month ahead of time. I like to get things that are thoughtful and sometimes that takes planning!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always listen to what people say they like. Then I surprise them with it. I usually shop a month in advance to 6 months in advance.

Linda

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I grab things when I see them, even if it''s months in advance. Since I give a lot of furniture as gifts (that I refinish), I usually start those at least a couple months in advance but I have been able to do a couple in just a week.

Also, if I don''t have the perfect gift, I won''t just get any old thing. If it''s for a child, I will give them a gift card if I haven''t found the "right" gift because they still want their present on time. But, for an , I just tell them "I haven''t found it yet" and they know that they''ll get it when I find it! Unfortunately, when I find something great months in advance, I end up giving it to them WAY early because I can''t stand it!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um. I''m a slacker most of the time, but its usually because I don''t remember birthdays and stuff until it''s too late.

In BF''s case though, I''ll have things planned out for months prior, and he''ll go out and buy whatever I was thinking of getting him for himself, so I kind of have to wait until the last minute for him, or make it very obvious what he''s getting and NOT to buy it for himself. Oh he''s a pain

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I'm either a last-minute or well-in-advance shopper. The trouble for buying in advance is that I usually cannot wait to give the person their present, so I give it to them "just because" and then still have to shop when the actual occasion arrives. I'm especially bad about this with my niece and nephew.

Last week I just bought an adorable necklace for my niece, and it's supposed to be a Christmas gift since she just had her birthday. I'll see if I can hold out that long. She's only three, but her mom has her hooked on bling already. I found a Disney Couture (I never even knew Disney was making jewelry) necklace that has little bells all the way around it. The clanger thing in the bell (I don't know what the correct term is) is Tinkerbell! I just thought it was too cute! Actually I was tempted to buy it for myself but don't know if I can pull off jingling with every step I take via Tinkerbell bells!

I've noticed that when I do shop early, it's usually for the females in my family. The guys always get my last minute gifts. Buying girlie gifts is so much more fun than shopping for boys!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 2:32:26 PM
Author: mrs jam

I''ve noticed that when I do shop early, it''s usually for the females in my family. The guys always get my last minute gifts. Buying girlie gifts is so much more fun than shopping for boys!!

I''m just like you - I tend to go to one extreme or the other. But I totally agree with you on buying girlie gifts vs. boy gifts. The only "boy" I like to shop for is my DH, but that''s because he''s kind of a clothes horse and loves to get really nice clothes, and I love to buy them for him, especially because I know how happy it makes him to get them
1.gif

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
I must be a planner. If I''m thinking of a more substantial gift, or if I want to get something handmade and unique, I start 4-6 months before!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot my own thread!

I''m a bit hurt. DH asked me what I wanted for my birthday, which is coming up, the day before I started this thread. I asked him about a month ago if he needed any ideas and he said he didn''t. I want something that will take longer than the time he had to get. He''s a good gift buyer, but I''m somewhat picky and he does this often.

On the flip side, I ask him about two months in advance if I can''t think of anything and he never gives me an answer until about 2-3 days before. Every present I''ve bought him in the last three years has been late unless I have an idea ahead of time.

I start early!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 2:32:26 PM
Author: mrs jam
I''m either a last-minute or well-in-advance shopper. The trouble for buying in advance is that I usually cannot wait to give the person their present, so I give it to them ''just because'' and then still have to shop when the actual occasion arrives. I''m especially bad about this with my niece and nephew.

Last week I just bought an adorable necklace for my niece, and it''s supposed to be a Christmas gift since she just had her birthday. I''ll see if I can hold out that long. She''s only three, but her mom has her hooked on bling already. I found a Disney Couture (I never even knew Disney was making jewelry) necklace that has little bells all the way around it. The clanger thing in the bell (I don''t know what the correct term is) is Tinkerbell! I just thought it was too cute! Actually I was tempted to buy it for myself but don''t know if I can pull off jingling with every step I take via Tinkerbell bells!

I''ve noticed that when I do shop early, it''s usually for the females in my family. The guys always get my last minute gifts. Buying girlie gifts is so much more fun than shopping for boys!!
Ditto! I''ve been shopping for stocking stuffers for DD for months now. But, so far, I have none for my poor boys.
39.gif
Girl stuff is just so much fun!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results