shape
carat
color
clarity

When do you ladies have menu tasting before the wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
I''m confused, I have friends already have chosen the menu 8 months before their wedding so that they can add that to their wedding invitation, but my venue is telling me they normally have menu tasting for the couple 1 to 1.5 month before the wedding due to seasonality of selection, and let the guests choose their menu on the day of...any ideas PS ladies?
33.gif
And they have switched catering coordinator a several times... is that normal or should I look for else where and give up the deposit?
38.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
We picked a menu that sounded good and we're 9 months out, doing the tasting about 3 months out because of the seasonality.

Having guests pick the day of sounds a little hectic!

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 2:15:10 PM
Author: sunnyd
We picked a menu that sounded good and we''re 9 months out, doing the tasting about 3 months out because of the seasonality.

Having guests pick the day of sounds a little hectic!

Thanks sunnyd! Did you receive any assistance from the venue in picking the menu?

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Well our only requirements were that we needed a chicken dish and that it had to be delicious. And they went to town! When they came back the first time, it was $6pp more than we wanted, so he made another menu which we're going with, maybe adding/changing a couple of things.

ETA: does the venue or caterer offer open houses where you can go taste some things, not necessarily what you would have on your menu? Handy to get an idea of whether it's horrible or not, you know?

ETA 2: Actually, you should request some kind of tasting sooner, even if you have to pay for it. If the food is bad, you'd only have 1.5 months to book another caterer. Yikes!

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
the venue is giving me so much headache
32.gif

First they said it will be 150-200 pp, then, the second person we dealt with told us its going to be somewhere between 200-350 pp depending on the food. Now they switching another representative again due to the other person''s vacation leave by the time of my wedding... Hopefully I don''t have to end up changing the venue
38.gif

Thanks so much for the suggestions sunnyd, I must ask them about the open house tasting~~~~

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
We had our tasting 9 months before the wedding. We are including menu choices on our invitations.

I agree with Sunny--you should have a tasting sooner. What if you hate the food or the service and want to book someone else? It will be a total nightmare to do so only a few weeks out from the wedding.

The whole changing prices ($100pp is a HUGE difference!) and people sounds a little shady. They should be able to give you a reasonable range of prices and schedule a tasting sooner. Their suggestion of having guests choose the day of sounds like guaranteed frustration and chaos (unless it''s a buffet, of course). They just seem disorganized to me.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 2:58:07 PM
Author: kittybean
We had our tasting 9 months before the wedding. We are including menu choices on our invitations.

I agree with Sunny--you should have a tasting sooner. What if you hate the food or the service and want to book someone else? It will be a total nightmare to do so only a few weeks out from the wedding.

The whole changing prices ($100pp is a HUGE difference!) and people sounds a little shady. They should be able to give you a reasonable range of prices and schedule a tasting sooner. Their suggestion of having guests choose the day of sounds like guaranteed frustration and chaos (unless it''s a buffet, of course). They just seem disorganized to me.
Have you signed a contract here? If so, the food minimum price and a sample menu should be included. Otherwise, they are exaclty within their power and will to say whatever price they want. If this is really the place where you want to have your reception, get some stuff IN WRITING, ie a price range or menu choices.

Without things in writing, you are in deep trouble. Also, if they don''t want to put anything in writing, then I would highly consider moving on, b/c you don''t want to get caught at the end of the night with a massive bill...
7.gif

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have the contract with me right now, I will look at it closely tonight when I get home and update on this with you ladies!! Thx!!!! (Me and Fi already starting to call up other venues for our date for back up)

*HUGS*-SK

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
our parents are doing the tasting (yes we trust them lol) about 5 months out probably
we're doing buffet style so there's no reason for us to list it on the invitation :)

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
I found my contract, it doesn't say much about the menu tasting and wedding package, just mentioned $10k minimum revenue requirement in food and beverage prior to taxes and gratuities, 16% service charge, 8% PST, 10% PST on beverage and 5% goods and services tax... blah blah blah... prices quoted herein are subject to increase to meet increased costs of supplies or operation at the time of the event...all details of food and beverage to be served at event shall be set forth on a separate contract.....

Anyway, I feel very insecure with the venue...
40.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 4:07:34 PM
Author: StarbuttsKoffee
I found my contract, it doesn''t say much about the menu tasting and wedding package, just mentioned $10k minimum revenue requirement in food and beverage prior to taxes and gratuities, 16% service charge, 8% PST, 10% PST on beverage and 5% goods and services tax... blah blah blah... prices quoted herein are subject to increase to meet increased costs of supplies or operation at the time of the event...all details of food and beverage to be served at event shall be set forth on a separate contract.....

Anyway, I feel very insecure with the venue...
40.gif
Hmmm...sorry to say but that would freak me out!! They couldn''t increase prices after they signed a contract, right? That line sounds sneaky.

If they don''t make you comfortable now, I''d start looking for another place, honestly.
40.gif
Sorry hon.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Starbutts, I emailed my venue (getting married at a hotel) about this very thing. I was told by my site coordinator that I can choose things to taste in April. Then in June I will go in and taste/make final decisions. Our wedding is in July. I am going to try and push the tasting up because doing it the month before makes me nervous. THOUGH, as far as menu selections for the invitation, you really only need to do this if you are giving a choice. And even then, you don''t have to be specific. We know we are either doing chicken or beef. So the choice will read :
__Chicken __ Beef __ vegetarian. One thing I thought of though is that you wouldn''t want to taste too far out because what if the chef changes? The dishes will probably not taste exact and you don''t want to be disappointed.

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
sunnyd: I agree with you, that line freaked me out, too, when I re-read it!!
32.gif

Blair138: Thanks for sharing, my wedding will be in July too, so we are in the same timeline!

this is really killing me...

I just received a wedding package from the hotel next door (yes next door, just across the street), we told the event manager the situation we are having with their competitor, and the hotel next door sounds very helpful now, and their package is way more clear, I''m very impressed. I will quickly switch to them if they agree to give me discount. who knows, if the discount covers my deposit loss, why not~

I''m surprised by the neatness of the wedding package outline the hotel next door given me, clearly stated 185pp on basic menu and 205pp on upgrade menu. (my current venue gave me a 10+ pages long menu with fancy names....it was pretty confusing)

Thanks ladies for all the ideas
1.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Good luck Starbutts!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Mine was 4 months out, and no need to put it on the invites because it''s a buffet. Also, the venue and the caterer have an exclusive contract, so it''s not like I could just choose another caterer...I''m locked into it.

Good luck with yours! I agree with doing it earlier if you''re not in a situation like mine.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I would jump ship and swim across the road quite frankly
40.gif

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
we''re having our final tasting 3 months before or so, but we had an initial tasting (which was free) before we decided to book our venue. we wanted to do this because it was a venue that we have NEVER ever been to before and one that has not been used for weddings within our community so we wanted to see what they had to offer before we signed anything. this first tasting was back in September so it was about 9ish months from our wedding. both tastings we''re free and for the one closer to the wedding we are allowed to bring in 4 guests with us for free as well.

as for that sudden increase in price...that does seem strange, i do know that many venues up prices with the new year but im not sure if that is what your venue was talking about. i know our consultant reassured us that even if their prices were to go up for 2009 we would receive 2008 pricing since we booked before the end of the year.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Our wedding is in October, but we''re doing a tasting this Friday. We''ll probably firm the menu up as it gets closer, but since we''ve got so much going on between now and then, it would be good for us to do it now.

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
Thanks jstarfireb, Honey22, emilina22 and Melissa for sharing!

Honey22: LOL you are so funny! I really like the swim across idea ahhahaa

I went through with both menu last night with my FI, though the hotel next door's package is neat, it isn't as flexible as the current one cause hotel next door's menu is fixed.

Valet Parking is $25 for hotel next door and current hotel is $17. (I wonder do my guests have to tip valet parking, any idea ladies?)

Hotel next door fixed menu are 185pp and 205pp (before taxes and gratuity, 16%); Current hotel, if we control the budget on the f&b wisely (they charge whatever we picked on the 10+ pages long menu)3 cold 4 hot hors d'oeuvres plus 3 course menu, we HOPE to keep it down at 210pp (gratuity and taxes included).

We just ignore what the catering managers told us about the price differences, they didn't have it written down, just verbally mention to us in their opinions. I guess they were both drunk
14.gif
j/k but it was irresponsible though in my opinion.

......still waiting for communication with both hotels....

-SK

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree that this sounds like more than simple bride anxiety. The idea of seasonal food in this situation, seems to be more of a cop out that they don''t have a good reputation for holding onto their staff. That in on and of itself would make me raise an eye brow. If you are happy with the place next door, you could always talk to your current site about your concerns with that open ended price part, and ask for something more concrete with the threat of walking. (Which will be easier to make good on when you have a secure back up). Thankfully, you still have some time to play with. Good luck!

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the insight mayachel!

Definitely will ask for solid price when we confirm our choice of menu and speak to the new manager again. Both Fi and I are not very good at bargaining but we will try very hard for it this time.

It''s making the both of us feel unbelievable after knowing everybody has a firm price on their venue, and this claimed to be top rating hotel leave us with open ended price like that.... correct me if what we''re having is actually a normal customer service of hotel catering, don''t wish to bad name it if I''m just being overreacted on my budget concerns....

-SK

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results