shape
carat
color
clarity

When cleaning your ring with a soft toothbrush...

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Do you only use the toothbrush on the diamond, or do you also used it on the metal? I just had a mild panic because it just now occurred to me that perhaps I shouldn't be using the toothbrush on the platinum! :errrr:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1311859952|2978821 said:
Do you only use the toothbrush on the diamond, or do you also used it on the metal? I just had a mild panic because it just now occurred to me that perhaps I shouldn't be using the toothbrush on the platinum! :errrr:

I use it all over my platinum ring.....I have diamonds on my band....how else am I supposed to clean the band?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I use it on the platinum as well. I haven't noticed it getting scratched (at least from that).

slg47

Ideal_Rock
the toothbrush will not hurt the metal.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I never use a toothbrush on a polished surface.If the jewelry has been worn to the point that it has a surface dulled by abuse or daily wear okay i will agree that it is okay on platinum because you don't lose the metal in the cleaning process.But why would a person take a nylon brush that is meant to clean teeth to a high polished surface?The brush is abrasive and does scrap and scratch the surface and not only prematurely dulls the surface but as with any abrasive action on karat gold or silver it removes precious metal from the piece and also rhodium plate over time. it also wears down delicate patterns and raised details in jewelry over time. The only time i use a baby toothbrush is after the brush has been soaking long enough to be soft against the skin and used only to clean the crowns holding hard gem stones.When someone recommends that you give jewelry a good scrubbing with cleaner and toothbrush then you have to wonder just how much knowledge and experience they have with the care or precious metals and gem stones.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The plastic bristles in a tooth brush themselves cannot scratch metal.
But other things can that are often present can which the toothbrush pushes around - anything, even microscopic stuff that is harder than metal, such as the abrasive particles suspended in toothpaste or other cleaners, sand, some debris.

Make sure your tooth brush and the ring have been rinsed free of any kind of abrasive residue, then brush away to your heart's content, and fee free to also add any grease-releasing but non-abrasive mild cleaner - rinsing often.

I like isopropyl alcohol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results