shape
carat
color
clarity

When and why would you sell your jewelry pieces?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I sold my previous 2.73 antique cushion in order to fund the cost of continued excellent nursing care for my grandfather when insurance covered only a portion of the costs. I do not regret it one bit.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life|1311796531|2978224 said:
I sold my previous 2.73 antique cushion in order to fund the cost of continued excellent nursing care for my grandfather when insurance covered only a portion of the costs. I do not regret it one bit.

What an awesome thing to do. Your post put a smile on my face.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
asscherisme|1311825717|2978620 said:

What an awesome thing to do. Your post put a smile on my face.

Agreed. What a sweet and thoughtful thing to do.

For me, diamonds or jewellery in general are just objects. I'd sell them in a heartbeat if I thought I needed to - to put food on the table (hopefully that'd never happen - fingers crossed) or to pay for emergencies including helping someone else like what Resonance has done.

So far though, I've only sold / put up for sale pieces that I no longer wear, though the majority has been given away to nieces and sisters. Like some PS'ers, I've been selling some pieces and keeping or buying those that are more substantial / that I do actually wear.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
This post just made my day!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd sell items if I needed the money to pay for my utility bills and housing, if my close family or friends were in dire straights, or if I simply didn't wear them anymore.

I don't own anything larger. I think my largest stone is .47 carats, my original engagement ring. Most items would have such a low return that I'm not sure it'd be worth it. I think the most I could ever hope for was enough money to survive on for 1 month, nothing long-term.

I wouldn't want to sell my 1920s filigree wedding band, the ring 1930s ring I wear as an engagement ring, or my mid century modern Danish sideboard. I think that piece of furniture (and a couple of others) would get me more money than all the jewellery combined, but it may have to pried out of my hands! Who needs heating or food when you have a teak sideboard that just looks amazing under the living room window?!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread Uppy!

I have sold some recently because I didn't wear them. I'm pretty practical so if It ain't worn daily I must not need it ,so I have no problem selling pieces to someone who would wear them. We were pretty affected by the recession when it started so I sold some pieces to save property. I'd sell my pieces again if I have too. Its all material and for adornment. 'Tis is life. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results