shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s Your Home Renovation/Remodel Project?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting pictures! Love all the post pictures, especially gardengloves, it is truly out of some magazine. Freke, it''s true how small changes can make a big difference (tile, drawer pulls) and Claritek, again awesome remodel.

We finished doing decorative changes to our bedroom. Not a true remodel, but want to redecorate our children''s room in the sense of getting better storage for clothes and books. Next year we would like to at the very least, redo the floor of our main bathroom. Ideally would like to rearrange the configuration in the bathroom, but then the price dramatically increases, so for now plan is to keep same location of fixtures, replace floor, and replace sink/vanity.

Here is a question for those with whirlpool tubs. Right now we have a rather big slipper tub in the master bath that has the shower fixtures as well. While the children take baths in almost daily, I only take baths a few times a year (in the winter). My husband may use it slightly more. For those who have a spa (whirlpool) tub, do you really use it or is it a bother? And can you configure it as a shower or does the shower have to be separate?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops I guess our bathtub is not a slipper tub, it is a regular cast iron tub (even all around) but with a pedestal (skirt) instead of clawfeet.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2010 9:59:30 PM
Author: gardengloves

Date: 4/14/2010 10:07:36 AM
Author: Loves Vintage
Gardengloves - Your reno''s are amazing! Thanks for sharing all of the pics. Where are your chandeliers from? You have a great design eye. I do not, sadly. Do you have a design background?

This weekend we sanded our three season porch, with the intention of re-painting it, only to find the same lovely oak hardwood floors that are in the rest of our house. We are not sure why anyone would have ever painted over them, so now we are planning to poly the floors, though we are slightly concerned about water getting in during heavy storms. We didn''t take pictures of the floor before, though now, I wish we had.

Greatchandeliers.com. discount prices, great shipping, french cut pendants.... check it out
Thanks for the link, GardenGloves. I looked through their site. They do have very reasonable prices. I happened to be at Ikea this weekend, and they had a little chandelier that was only $40!!!!! I had to buy it. It does not have shades. I wonder if I can add them. We haven''t put it up yet. It is very petite. I wanted it for a guest bedroom, so we shall see.

We are still working on the three season porch, almost all of the paint is up now. I may start a thread about it. We are thinking of putting wood over the existing interior structure, which is metal on the bottom (like from an old screen door) and painted white wood. I''ll have to take some pictures and then start a thread for advice!

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/19/2010 3:30:14 PM
Author: part gypsy
Thanks for posting pictures! Love all the post pictures, especially gardengloves, it is truly out of some magazine. Freke, it's true how small changes can make a big difference (tile, drawer pulls) and Claritek, again awesome remodel.

We finished doing decorative changes to our bedroom. Not a true remodel, but want to redecorate our children's room in the sense of getting better storage for clothes and books. Next year we would like to at the very least, redo the floor of our main bathroom. Ideally would like to rearrange the configuration in the bathroom, but then the price dramatically increases, so for now plan is to keep same location of fixtures, replace floor, and replace sink/vanity.

Here is a question for those with whirlpool tubs. Right now we have a rather big slipper tub in the master bath that has the shower fixtures as well. While the children take baths in almost daily, I only take baths a few times a year (in the winter). My husband may use it slightly more. For those who have a spa (whirlpool) tub, do you really use it or is it a bother? And can you configure it as a shower or does the shower have to be separate?

Part Gypsy,

Many thanks for the kind comments. I love design magazines, blogs and books and copy my favorite designers.

Our entire bathroom remodel started because of a huge whirlpool tub. It was big, glamorous, looked great, but we couldn't fill it with enough hot water for an actual hot bath. It was not functional. I think they put these things in new home construction because they look good, but try and fill it with enough hot water for an actual bath. I could not get enough hot water to cover my knees, then it would cool and run out - and for me a hot soaking bath is up to the chin, steaming hot water, with more coming once it cools. I'm talking steaming hot, mirrors fogging hot. Also, it was impossible to clean. I had to get inside and scrub a huge tub that rarely got used. So we did the whole remodel based on a small scale pedestal tub that one could take an actual hot bath in. The one luxury we did put in that is great is the hand held faucet which can shower water and is great for aches and pains.

bathtub25.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info about the hot water and cleaning, doesn''t sound like that''s for me. Love your tub. It''s like a modern (new) version of ours, except our fixtures are on one end, not in middle. My husband likes the tub because he''s 6'' 2" and can soak in it so it may be a little deeper than most modern tubs. I do play around with idea of moving everything around (tub, toliet, sink) but can''t find a configuration I like so much I''m willing to replumb everything, so will probably leave as is.
OK, here is my pet peeve about the current configuration. From the doorway between the bedroom and the bathroom, you can view the toliet. The doorway is covered by a curtain, and the doorway is off our bedroom, but would that bug other people? It seems better to tuck it away somewhere, but that would mean moving everything else. Or move the doorway (view of tub instead). Maybe I have too much time on my hands!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the IKEA trip is a go
36.gif
this weekend! I''m more excited than I should be.
Main things will be new storage for children''s room (main items: armoire, dresser, and bookshelf/knicknack shelf (expedit), plus a few other things estimating about $600 of damage. We will then get rid of 2 dressers, plus a diaper changing table made into a bookshelf (don''t ask).

Although I think this will be a big improvement, they will lose both dresser drawer space, and dresser top space. They will go from 2 dresser tops and 1bookshelf top to really 1. Regardless of the remake, I think we are going to have to a) cull some of the clutter. They literally are using 4 drawers for toys/clutter. And for remainder b) alternative storage such as rolling or stacking storage boxes. If they choose, they can use 2 shelves of the expedit for display.

Myself, right now I store their clothes that are out of season/too big/just grown out of, stuffed into 1 big dresser drawer, or overflow in garbage bags in attic. It is very easy for me to lose track of stuff in the attic. For example last month I went up there and found a big bag of stuff that would have fit my youngest daughter perfectly this past year. Instead, most of the items she had just outgrown : ( So I want a couple storage bins I can stow in their small closet.

Instead of dresser drawers, the kids will store most of their clothes either on shelves in armoire, or baskets in armoire, or hang them on hangers. They will have much more space for hanging clothes (no more wrinkled dresses!).

Also getting a rug, and want to get a lamp and chair to make a reading spot for oldest daughter.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Ikea is great, I really hope you enjoy your trip. There are so many great ideas and wonderful gadgets to oogle.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Wow, love all the pics! We have done some work to our house since moving in, but still have a long list:

Done:
changed laminate countertops to granite
painted cabinets white
replaced all appliances with SS ones
took down vertical blinds and replaced with silk drapes

Still to do:
Replace carpet in main living areas to wood floors
Buy new sofa
Install backsplash
Have main living areas painted neutral color
Pick out/install knobs on cabinets
Buy new furniture for sunroom
Replace vanities/countertops/tile in bathrooms - this one is far off as there''s nothing wrong with them, just not the colors I would like

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, great renos!!
Freke... I love your style. Beautiful!
Gardeningloves... Your bathroom looks great!! My bathroom is so small
39.gif
. I really like that tub! I agree, a ginormous tub would be a pain to clean.

I''ve posted these over in the house hunters thread. We moved in October. The house was covered (including ceilings
23.gif
) in wallpaper. Basically, we scraped and scraped, painted, and ripped up the carpets. Here are the before and after shots of the living room and bedroom. This summer we''re tackling the half bath and basement. I can''t wait til they''re done!

first up, living room... These were taken back in December, and it still looks the same now. It still has a starkness to it, but once I get a rug and curtains, and some stuff on the walls, I think it''ll come together!

banda1232323.jpg

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the bedroom. DH was allowed (hehe) to choose the color. I don''t mind it, but I would''ve picked a different color. A huge improvement, nonetheless. There were two layers of wallpaper in the bedroom. It took FOREVER to get it off!

banda1234.jpg

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
The next projects...

The half bath and basement. None of that ''stuff'' (furniture, towels, etc) is ours. They were left here when we moved in. These pics were taken when we first moved in.
Isn''t the half bath ugly???? Gah, can''t wait to renovate!!! haha

banda43543.jpg

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2010 5:38:39 PM
Author: FL Steph
Wow, love all the pics! We have done some work to our house since moving in, but still have a long list:

Done:

changed laminate countertops to granite

painted cabinets white

replaced all appliances with SS ones

took down vertical blinds and replaced with silk drapes

Still to do:

Replace carpet in main living areas to wood floors

Buy new sofa

Install backsplash

Have main living areas painted neutral color

Pick out/install knobs on cabinets

Buy new furniture for sunroom

Replace vanities/countertops/tile in bathrooms - this one is far off as there''s nothing wrong with them, just not the colors I would like

Hi FL Steph,

Ohhhh, sounds like we did the same stuff in the kitchen, countertops, appliances, repaint cabinets. What a difference. I had laminate countertops too when we moved in, and mismatched old appliances, some yellow, some white, even the countertops were different colors laminate. Kitchen was our first project.

Even your to do list is all the things we did that made a difference, new paint, knobs, woodfloors. Its really fun to see things transform

So what color granite did you pick? Any pics?

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Lynnie, You did a great job. Thanks for sharing your photos.

That color in the bedroom is gorgeous, completely changes the space. What color is it? I was reading that Pantone announced the new color for 2010 is turqouise. Its going to be THE hot color, you are ahead of the game. It really looks fresh.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
So today''s project... river rock in the garden beds.

When first moved in we removed some overgrown existing garden beds. The house was surrounded with giant trees and massive shrubs, you could not see the house and it blocked light in the windows, so we started by moving some of the existing shrubs and trees to the back.

We planted this tiny Japanese maple, Inabe Shidare, a very slow growing small tree in a front bed. Its now three year''s old and filled out. So today, we added river rocks around it to make a rock garden and make the beautiful purple red color really pop against the rock. I''m trying to get that rock garden look going, and have dry streams of river rock. I''m so proud of this little baby, she''s growing nicely. We hauled wheel barrels of rock and decorated around beds. Here''s a picture

rockgarden34.jpg

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
goodness - I''m tired just from reading this thread! My husband is of the um.. more laid back/mellow (lazy-ish?) persuasion so unfortunately it will be a battle to get much done. However, there are a few things we MUST do before selling our place and moving - either later this summer or next spring.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2010 2:40:03 PM

When first moved in we removed some overgrown existing garden beds. The house was surrounded with giant trees and massive shrubs, you could not see the house and it blocked light in the windows, so we started by moving some of the existing shrubs and trees to the back.

We planted this tiny Japanese maple, Inabe Shidare, a very slow growing small tree in a front bed. Its now three year''s old and filled out. So today, we added river rocks around it to make a rock garden and make the beautiful purple red color really pop against the rock. I''m trying to get that rock garden look going, and have dry streams of river rock. I''m so proud of this little baby, she''s growing nicely. We hauled wheel barrels of rock and decorated around beds. Here''s a picture
Gardengloves--Your house is beautiful and the maple is spectacular. Siberian iris beside the tree?

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lulu,

Many thanks for the kind comments. I know next to nothing about Iris. When we bought the house, we inherited Iris beds.

They never bloomed the first year because of the massive overgrowth of trees, but once we "edited" the beds a bit, the iris''s sprang up and bloomed, before that they just shot up leaves. I know they are close to the maple, but its a work in progress, when we planted maple we had no idea iris''s were nearby. These are a purplish blue. We divided them and replanted, and picked up some others at Iris farms in the hood. They are enormously strong and hardy. This is a grand experiment, but hopefully they will flourish, they seem to double and multiply each year. If we planted one last year, six new ones came up. I''ll post pictures when they open up.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, gardengloves. I love all iris, but especially the siberians, the darker the better (caesar''s brother).

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks GG. I will try to take some "in progress" pics of the kitchen soon. I LOVE all your pics, your house is gorgeous! Are the drapes in your dining room the silk ones from PB? We have some tan color in our living room now, but I''m thinking about putting those in our master and buying some slate blue ones (our palate is sort of beach cottagy with lots of tans, whites and slate blues).

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
A few of our projects have started.

Project #1 is my project - I''m turning my third bedroom into a dressing room with a wall of closets and a vanity for hair/makeup. I am putting up wallpaper and that is getting done next weekend.

Project #2 is a garage - this is DH''s project - he is so excited about it! We have a row house so it will be a laneway garage and we are re-doing the backyard while we are at it (once the garage is in we won''t be able to get into the backyard with equipment etc).

Looking forward to seeing everyone else''s projects!

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 5:34:52 PM
Author: FL Steph
Thanks GG. I will try to take some 'in progress' pics of the kitchen soon. I LOVE all your pics, your house is gorgeous! Are the drapes in your dining room the silk ones from PB? We have some tan color in our living room now, but I'm thinking about putting those in our master and buying some slate blue ones (our palate is sort of beach cottagy with lots of tans, whites and slate blues).

hey Fl Steph,

I love PB drapes, but those robin egg blue ones in dining room I got years ago from a place called Gracious Homes. They have a website and a few stores in Manhattan. I would love to get more, but I don't see them anymore on the website. They are silk taffeta, lined, and bunch up in the most wonderful ways- don't know if they are still around, but when I first got them they came in some great colors and dying for more. PB has great drapes, so does Restoration Hardware, Bed Bath and Beyond . You can get the same look for less at BB & B, I have the BB& B all over, the ones in dining room were a splurge.

Thanks so much for the kind comments, can't wait to see your pics, and the drape project!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
gardengloves-can I bug you about that gorgeous stacked stone bed that your husband made and you posted a picture of? My husband and I want to make one around our front yard/garden. How tall is the wall around that bed? And do you have any tips or hints from doing yours? Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I LOVE your Japanese maple. My husband and I went for a walk tonight and saw several of them in the front yards in our area. They are just gorgeous in real life-kind of drapey and the color is amazing! I think we might plant one when we get to the planting stage in our front yard!

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 10:02:22 PM
Author: thing2of2
gardengloves-can I bug you about that gorgeous stacked stone bed that your husband made and you posted a picture of? My husband and I want to make one around our front yard/garden. How tall is the wall around that bed? And do you have any tips or hints from doing yours? Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I LOVE your Japanese maple. My husband and I went for a walk tonight and saw several of them in the front yards in our area. They are just gorgeous in real life-kind of drapey and the color is amazing! I think we might plant one when we get to the planting stage in our front yard!

Hi Thing2of2,

The stacked stone bed evolved in a few stages. First we had an empty front lawn. We planted a baby kwanzan cherry which looked very alone out there, so we created a kidney shaped bed of topsoil and mulch on top of landscaping cloth so grass wouldn't grow through it. Now we had a mound shaped planting bed. Then we saw the stone on sale at a local nursery and ordered a pallet. We ordered more topsoil and expanded the whole kidney shape. . I'd say the wall is about 6-8" inches high. Here is a picture so you can see the layers of stone. the stones are stacked about 6 or 8 levels.

stackedstonesample34.jpg

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
the next season, we added another little bed attached to the big kidney shaped one. here is a picture of that one.

Looking back, I''d say make it bigger not smaller, proportional to the house and yard. Ours was too small at first.

stackstone67.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

GG your Acer is wonderful. I miss mine so much. They are all large pots in my Sister''s care in the UK on a sort of permanent loan. Perhaps I will be able to grow those in Ontario as well!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2010 3:23:52 PM
Author: Maevie
goodness - I''m tired just from reading this thread! My husband is of the um.. more laid back/mellow (lazy-ish?) persuasion so unfortunately it will be a battle to get much done. However, there are a few things we MUST do before selling our place and moving - either later this summer or next spring.
Maevie,

I am going through this right now. I have to decide whether or not to do a full reno or a fix it up type of reno before we head to Ontario. My best friend is a realtor in Calgary and she knows exactly what needs to be done for a sale. She''s been been working in Calgary for almost 25 years and is awesome.

I am sure she would be happy to give you some advice if you wanted it (don''t feel you have to use her as a realtor). Just mention that your screen name is Maevie and I will let her know that you might be in touch.

I was surprised at some of the things she thought were important as much as some of the things she said to forget about.

Julie Gibson

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2010 4:17:15 PM
Author: lulu

Gardengloves--Your house is beautiful and the maple is spectacular. Siberian iris beside the tree?
Lulu and GG, they are German Iris, not Siberian.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 10:44:36 PM
the next season, we added another little bed attached to the big kidney shaped one. here is a picture of that one.

Looking back, I''d say make it bigger not smaller, proportional to the house and yard. Ours was too small at first.

Thanks for the additional pictures and info, gg! It''s seriously gorgeous and I think that with my dad''s help we can do it! We''ll probably do ours 10-12" high around our whole little front yard area.

One more question for you-do you happen to know what type of stone you used? Is it slate?

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 11:25:48 PM
Author: thing2of2
Date: 5/2/2010 10:44:36 PM

Thanks for the additional pictures and info, gg! It''s seriously gorgeous and I think that with my dad''s help we can do it! We''ll probably do ours 10-12'' high around our whole little front yard area.

One more question for you-do you happen to know what type of stone you used? Is it slate?

Sounds like a great project. I love stone walls, its going to be gorgeous surrounding the whole front yard.

. OK, so just asked husband. He says it was around 10" high, and flagstone- there was some method he used of stacking the stones so the wall stayed steady and secure. He did the wall, so not sure, but it had to be layered a certain way so it wouldn''t collapse. Ours had the top soil backing it, you can see behind the mounds of soil still going in and that''s the pellet the stones arrived on also in background. The whole project jumped off when we were wandering around the garden center and noticed the pellet of stone perfect for this project. So check out what your garden centers have.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
So, we also gutted and redid the powder room... before.. this involved, ripping up all old faucets, floors, wall paper and a complete redo.

powderbefore99.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results