Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

danners84

Rough_Rock
rainwood|1342991420|3238237 said:
Enerchi|1342967099|3238088 said:
O+ - universal donor :appl:

I am O+ and thought that too, but found out that we O+ folks are actually universal recipients.

Actually AB+ is the universal recipient.

A quick rundown:
People with type O blood can only receive type O blood.
Type A can receive type A and type O.
Type B can receive type B and type O.
AB can receive A, B, O, or AB.
Rh negative can receive only Rh negative.
Rh positive can receive Rh negative or positive.

Combine the 2 and you've got the basics.

People also sometimes have specific antibodies that require additional screening of blood units prior to transfusion.

It is weird that no one can tell you your blood type, AN. We send a type and screen prior to ANY surgery and even prior to some more involved procedures (the more complicated heart cath related procedures, etc).

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
YayTacori|1342991028|3238234 said:
Enerchi said:
YayTacori|1342972341|3238122 said:
It's pretty interesting cuz in Korean culture, your blood type kinda explains what kind of personality you have. And it works! I don't know what mine is tho!

that sounds interesting, YayTacori!! Do you have any info that you can share or link us to? I'd be curious to read up on that!!

Try this!
http://blog.korea.net/?p=5911

It IS really interesting! The site doesn't go as much into what I think they could but covers the basics. My mom is type A and she is the ultimate over analyzer and the ultimate reason why she is A: she never forgives as forgets! Haha

thanks! that was interesting!

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
danners84|1342995423|3238259 said:

I am O+ and thought that too, but found out that we O+ folks are actually universal recipients.

A quick rundown:

People also sometimes have specific antibodies that require additional screening of blood units prior to transfusion.

It is weird that no one can tell you your blood type, AN. We send a type and screen prior to ANY surgery and even prior to some more involved procedures (the more complicated heart cath related procedures, etc).

Thanks DNners84, I'm currently 28 weeks pregnant with my second child and I know that all of my forms have a big red stamp on them saying RH negative...is this a separate rare blood type? Or an you be A or B etc and still be RH neg?
I know it's a pain in the bum as my hubby is RH pos and so I keep having to get Anti D shots throughout my pregnancy.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
The Rh factor refers to whether you are Rh+ or Rh-. This is in addition to your blood type (letter). If you are, say, A+, you can take positive or negative blood (A or O). If you are negative, you don't have that little plus sign, and your body will reject and positive blood. It becomes an issue when the mom is Rh- and the dad is Rh+, because the baby can be Rh+. If the mom's blood comes in contact with the baby"'s blood, the mom will create antibodies against the Rh+ factor and it can cause major issues with future pregnancies. Im negative and DH is positive. The fix is pretty simple- a shot of Rhogam at 28 weeks and after delivery (and I there's any bleeding during pregnancy). I'm sure that's not the most medically accurate description, but hopefully it helps with the general idea!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
back in the day the rhogam was only given after the birth of the first child....or at miscarriage. that was way back in the day, like almost 40 years ago. i rec'd it after a miscarriage and then AFTER the birth of my daughter in 1974. guess they've learned a thing or two since then if its now also given at 28 weeks? oh, and i was supposed to carry a medical card that indicated not only my A- blood type but that i had rec'd the rhogam shot and if ever admitted for a miscarriage and/or birth i was to receive the shot again.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
A+ and I donate blood every 3 months :bigsmile:

I've also read that your blood type influences which foods your body runs best on eg: A types suit vegetarian and vegan diets, O types are meat eaters etc.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I'm quite curious! I have had surgery (thyroid removed) but never thought to ask if they tested my blood type. As a result of my condition I have to have my blood tested quite regularly and I asked the phlebotomist once if they could tell me what my blood type was and she said no, that they don't do that, and that if I wanted to know, I would have to donate blood :confused:

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
B-

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No clue. I will ask next time I go to the doc. I should know as I had two C sections, but that was ages ago.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A+

I can't remember not knowing my blood type...my mother was always donating blood and I started donating my senior year of high school. Free way to pay it forward!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

A quick rundown:

Holy moly! The scary thing is that the person who corrected me originally was my husband's hematologist. I thought he'd know!!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
O- here, I donate blood every few months and they are always harassing me to come in and donate more. I don't mind doing it I just wish they wouldn't hound me!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
O- here. For all of the ladies, I'm 9 weeks pregnant and they can now do a blood test to detect your baby's blood type while you're pregnant so you can possibly avoid Rhogam. I decided it isn't worth it for me so I didn't really look into the cost etc.

Asscherhalo_lover, I get harassed by the RedCross too! Fortunately, there's a mobile unit that comes to my company so it's at least convenient.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Danner, this is interesting. I have a friend who has a rare E antibody in her blood that complicated her pregnancy a great deal. It's similar to RH- but no Rhogam-like treatment is available. She was basically told no more kiddies after her second or she was at high risk for still birth. Scary!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i too can't remember not knowing my blood type: i'm a child of the 1950's, red scare, etc. when i started school, we were tested and issued id tags just like in the military: name, address, date of birth, religion, and blood type all clearly displayed. no wonder some of us didn't think we'd make it to 30 much less the grand age i am now!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
A+ and CMV negative. CMV is a really common virus (about 90% of adults have had it), but I never got it. They can give my blood and platelets to people with weakened immune systems (cancer patients, newborns, etc). Because of this and my common blood type I almost feel *obligated* to donate. I donate platelets as often as possible because of this--I used to go every 2 weeks, but I'm so busy now that I just don't have the time and I donate every couple months.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am an O+ and I couldn't be further from the blood stereotype. I am a total introvert.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
No ABs!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
rainwood|1343034049|3238429 said:

A quick rundown:

Holy moly! The scary thing is that the person who corrected me originally was my husband's hematologist. I thought he'd know!!

Is it possible the haematologist was referring to plasma transfusions? If so, things work the other way round with Os being recipients and ABs being donors.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B+ I don't remember when I learnt - seems like I've just always known.

I HATE giving blood. I always feel like I should but it never ever goes well!

They always have trouble finding the vein at first, and I'm a bit squeamish as it is... and I'm always there for so long! Last time my friend and I went together and they were ready for us at the same time. She finished *and* the person after her finished and my bag was still only about two-thirds full. I was ready to call it quits but they told me they couldn't use a bag that wasn't filled, and I didn't want to have wasted everything so I sat back down and hoped I'd bleed faster... it slowed even more and they had to stick me in the other arm but that wasn't any better. Eventually someone came over and said that's enough and took everything off, the bag wasn't totally full but I guess it was just enough? Or maybe they didn't want to tell me they'd have to toss it. I got up and promptly fainted.
I wonder why I take so much longer than most?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No clue. Hate needles.

My mother had an awful time getting me vaccinations and on the couple of occassions where they needed a blood test, I'd go through 1/2 the nurses in the building before allowing one near me. I remember one "looked tired" so I refused to work with her and requested the PA personally come in and do it instead....

I'm still not any better about it but now I've got SO who gets to drag me along instead of my mother. :rolleyes:

I also get really really queasy at the mere thought of needles taking my blood and have fainted in past before they even touched me.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AB-

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
4ever|1343008718|3238343 said:
A+ and I donate blood every 3 months :bigsmile:

I've also read that your blood type influences which foods your body runs best on eg: A types suit vegetarian and vegan diets, O types are meat eaters etc.

hmmm..don't know about that! I'm O+ and I tend to stay away from meat. No red meat for me, the occasional chicken and sushi will do!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Diamond*Dana|1343275950|3240299 said:

Yay, I've never "met" anyone else with my blood type (not that I go around asking most people, haha!). Weird thing is, the hospital put B- on all my birth paperwork so that's what I grew up thinking, but when I was in HS I was blood-typed and found to be AB-. I insisted it was a mistake and they ran the test twice more with the same result! If my brother and I hadn't looked exactly alike as kids, I would wonder if I was switched at birth...

ETA I wish I could donate but I spent too much time in England around the time of the mad cow disease scare, so I'm not allowed :nono:

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
O-

All three of my LO's are O+ so I've had my fair share of Rhogam shots!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone heard of incompatibility between mother and baby that was not due to rh negative or positive? I'm 0+, my husband is AB+ so I know my daughter is positive too (I think she was AB, but not sure), but still she developed jaundice after birth due to her body rejecting my blood. It was much milder than if it was an rh incompatibility but still it meant we were in the hospital a few extra days.
I guess I should have been paying more attention!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1343653671|3242861 said:
Has anyone heard of incompatibility between mother and baby that was not due to rh negative or positive? I'm 0+, my husband is AB+ so I know my daughter is positive too (I think she was AB, but not sure), but still she developed jaundice after birth due to her body rejecting my blood. It was much milder than if it was an rh incompatibility but still it meant we were in the hospital a few extra days.
I guess I should have been paying more attention!

Exactly what happened to me which is why I started this thread. O+, DH is AB+, baby is B+ and developed jaundice at birth.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results