shape
carat
color
clarity

what''s the normal rule for this situation, i have a friend ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gave a girl a pair of diamond earrings
(cost about $1000), but after a short period they broke up, he expected her to return them.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
you have alot of diamond buying friends eh?
2.gif

a gift is a gift esp if its not made with a promise (e.g. e-ring)...in a case like this I would not return the earrings. why would he expect to get them back? he gave them to her..they are hers. did he give them to her with a condition that they not break up within a certain period of time? ridiculous.

as greg notes...when you give expensive items as gifts, it's a 'sunk cost'.
2.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I'm with Mara. A gift is a gift as long as there was no condition that went with it.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
My girlfriend LOST the pair I gave her. I guess I should have made her pony up.

Engagement rings should always be returned if they were purchased by the guy.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone else that she doesn't have to return the earrings. They were given as a gift. Usually, when you give someone a gift, you don't expect them to return them. Maybe your friend should have though about that before buying such an expensive gift?

Although, personally....I might have returned them. If they broke up very shortly after he gave her the earrings, I would personally just not want them anymore. If they were together for a very short time, I would feel a little weird keeping something so expensive from someone who I dated for a short time. But, it's different for everyone.

Bottom line: gifts don't HAVE to be returned. That's the point of giving a gift. You give someone something because you want them to have it, with no strings attached.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I can't believe it would even enter into the guys mind to ask for a *GIFT* back. Really poor form....but then maybe it's the same guy who wants to buy a diamond for his mistress. In that case, get a pre-misnuption.

NoviceNYC

Rough_Rock
Expectations are one thing...reality is another. Relationships are give and take. Any relationship. He gave her a gift regardless. A gift is a gift. Dictionary definition:

gift
n.
Something that is bestowed voluntarily and without compensation.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
A gift is a gift regardless of price. He shouldn't expect anyone to return a gift.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
wow! I think it's unanimous! how often does that happen?
2.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
have to agree..they are hers now. wow...maybe thats why they broke up..jeesh.. sorry, no passing judgement here.. :razz:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny, I found out she return 1 ear ring and told him she lost the other one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results