shape
carat
color
clarity

Whats the largest ct size you'd want?

nanarama

Rough_Rock
I know I'd love a big diamond, but then again I want something that I'd feel comfortable wearing every day without worrying someone is going to cut my finger off for it! What size do you feel is perfect-but-practical?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me it depends on the cut of the stone. If it was an RB, I would say no more than about 2 cts. If it was any type of square cut, asscher, radiant, ect. I would say up to 3 cts. Really it's about the MM size and for a diamond about 8mm is my comfort limit. My current ring is a 1.06 asscher in a halo which brings it just over that 8mm size. If the diamond itself was that big, no halo, lol!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
I dont know, i guess upwards of 4 seems a little big, but then ive never tried it on. Frankly, id love a 3-4ct EC :naughty:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1313427707|2991297 said:
For me it depends on the cut of the stone. If it was an RB, I would say no more than about 2 cts. If it was any type of square cut, asscher, radiant, ect. I would say up to 3 cts. Really it's about the MM size and for a diamond about 8mm is my comfort limit. My current ring is a 1.06 asscher in a halo which brings it just over that 8mm size. If the diamond itself was that big, no halo, lol!

I totally agree re: the mm size when determining the maximum carat size. For a RB it would be around 2-2.5, but for asscher- easily a 3-3.5 since the faceup size is quite a bit smaller than a RB.

delta_loves_alpha

Rough_Rock
I am not flashy and would feel really uncomfortable wearing something bigger than 1.5 ct...though they are fun to look at! :love:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I'd love to own up to a 6 ct round or 9ct fancy. For everyday wear, I think the 8.5 mm OEC I have is perfect for any occasion. While nothing ever stops me from wearing and enjoying unless It wouldn't be safe although sometimes I'm a bit embarrassed because it is much larger (though didn't cost us any more) than the centerstone of anyone I know personally except an opulent Lebanese businessman who thinks 6 cts is right for his daily wear. I struggled with bringing something so precious to a place with so much poverty but I have seen more insanely wealthy people in Tanzania than I ever saw in the US. Part of it is culture too, most wealthy Westerners are not as austentacious. Here people seem to think what's the good of wealth unless you wear it on your sleeve. I have no desire for a mansion or an Aston Martin, all I aspire to own is a couple amazing jewels that add an element of the fabulous to my mundane existence.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I think for my lifestyle, anything larger than a 1.5 would feel like too much. The biggest diamond I have ever had on was a 1 carat and it felt huge on my hand. So, I'm not even sure I would be comfortable with a 1.5. I'm sure with DSS though I could probably get up to that size. ;-)

ETA: I love fancy cuts in larger carat weights. I would love a 2ct asscher or emerald cut! :love: :love:

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
RB: 2.5- 3cts

Emerald: MUCH larger! I loooove emeralds in larger sizes. :love: So 5-6 cts would be great! :naughty:

Cushion/OMC/OEC: 3-4 cts would be my limit.

ZKS

Rough_Rock
Like others have said it depends on the cut.

I think I could go a 4.5ct Round & Cushion and then 6ct emerald (I love huge emeralds not a fan of them on my own hand when smaller). A pear I think around the 4ct.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Mine is a little over 2ct and it's as big as I'd go in RB. Probably 3ct in a step cut. Yes, that would be dreamy.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I have big hands, so I can pull off a big rock! I would easily wear a 4-5ct rb or cushion on the daily!!!

dandyandi

Rough_Rock
I'm probably in the minority here, haha! For me, I am a pretty low-key, laid back person, (and I can get self-conscious if I'm getting too much attention) so I would prefer a smaller diamond that I could wear daily without worrying too much about it. I told my bf I don't want anything larger than 1 ct RB, though I wouldn't complain if he decided to go bigger :naughty: Maybe ask me again in several years after DSS has kicked in muaha.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1313445038|2991477 said:
Part of it is culture too, most wealthy Westerners are not as austentacious. Here people seem to think what's the good of wealth unless you wear it on your sleeve.

It probably has to do with who you are socializing with. Expats often socialize with wealthier citizens of the host country. Since there is a lot of poverty, you're mingling with the richest rich if you're seeing a lot of great bling--I experienced the same when I was an expat for the last year in a third-world country. I kept thinking, "Huh, what opulence!" and later realized that these people were probably the top 5% richest people in the country; I don't hang out with Americans in that 'wealth bracket' so the comparison that I had drawn previous wasn't accurate.

Eskiez

Shiny_Rock
For everyday wear, I would love a 2.5-3ct antique cushion solitaire set in a pave band. But it would depend on the spread of the diamond. I don't think I would want something much larger than 8mmx8mm, even though I have larger hands and long fingers.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The largest I think I could ever comfortably wear is about 2.5ct round. Probably about 4ct in a stepcut ;-) I have a 1.15 that right now is pretty perfect on my hand. Maybe in another decade Ill double it!

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
I really want a round sapphire. Carat weights don't really translate but the biggest I would want would be 7.5 mm, which translates to about the size of a 1.7 carat diamond (but oh so much less money, considering the colors I like) even that would be a bit big for comfort. 7 mm sounds just about right

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
here are the basic rules for an Ering...

I.E...if you wear a size 6 ring you can go up to a 5 ct RB (center stone) or up to a 6 ct (your ring size) for a fancy cut.

ZKS

Rough_Rock
LOVE the sound of that rule Dancing Fire haha!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I have severe DSS but I would rock out anything under 10ct and feel comfortable with it!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Mine is 2.50, I'd go to 3.0 ct in a round brilliant and probably bigger in a different cut.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1313629036|2992992 said:
Maybe I have severe DSS but I would rock out anything under 10ct and feel comfortable with it!
:praise:

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
For an e-ring? I have a 10mm round cz and sometimes I play around and put it on my ring finger, but it's much too large.
Between 6.5 and 7mm is my sweet spot, I love the look of a 7mm square cushion too. Not small, but comfortable enough for daily wear.
But I'd go down to 5.5/6mm for a super duper ornate setting. ;))

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm, well I wear a size 6 1/2 so I always thought the BF would need to get me AT LEAST a 4 carat cushion cut sapphire when we started looking.

Thing is, I tried on a 3 carat to start with and it looked like a fake stone on my finger, like too big. Then again it was in a halo setting as I don't care for solitares, so that "added" to it but still...

For my e-ring (which I am hoping to be given tomorrow or Saturday!!!!) I decided on a 2.5 cushion cut cornflower blue sapphire and it's just perfect.

If I could have a RBD for fun...hmmm....I think i'd definitely go to 4+ carats :naughty:

20?

I can stare into those suckers all day. It would be my lil snowglobe of raaainboooows.

No, seriously. I wouldn't turn any down. Of course, I'd need a smaller one for my modest days too.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
For a round brilliant 2.5 ct, for Asschers 3.5 carats. Other cuts somewhere in between.

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
2ct

SC86

Shiny_Rock
4-5 ct vintage cushion! I can dream can't I !??

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think anything over .50 is SUPER TACKY! Why I gotta be so GROSS like that!?? *shrug*

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1313615964|2992837 said:
here are the basic rules for an Ering...

I.E...if you wear a size 6 ring you can go up to a 5 ct RB (center stone) or up to a 6 ct (your ring size) for a fancy cut.

SWEET! I'm looking at YOU, ten & 1/2 carat emerald cut!

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
The largest I would feel comfortable wearing daily would be a 3ct RB or a 4ct step cut. Although when I'm dressed up the sky is the limit :praise:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results