shape
carat
color
clarity

what''s the best way to store a wedding veil?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
hey girls, I just received my veil yesterday and I love it! WOO! But, what''s the best way to store it until the wedding day? I have heard if you cover it in plastic it will turn yellow (its white) so I laid it flat in my closet inside a pillow case so i wouldnt get dusty. It wasnt wrinkly at all when I got it. just wondering what you girls who have yours have done!

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
I kept mine in the drawer wrapped in tissue paper that was in a plastic bag. I too was told it shouldn't be touching plastic directly and should be kept in a dry, dark place. I think yours should be fine in the closet. Just make sure to take it out a few days before to get the wrinkles out.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe you can stuff it in the closet like mine is. after the wedding of course!
12.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I have mine (now 20 years old) in a cardboard hat box with acid-free tissue paper. Still looks like new. I realize a hat box is not the simplest thing to find nowadays, but I''m sure they are out there. I think the closet until the wedding will be fine.

I never had my dress or veil professionally stored. In a way, it''s nice because I can open the garment bag and actully see and touch my dress. All that preserving stuff seemed silly to me. I''m sure my daughter will have no desire to wear my 1980s poofy cinderella gown.
2.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We hung mine over a door at my parents and somewhere between me doing it, my sister messing with it and my dad being in there,one of us tore the hell out of it and luckily we had 2 hours between hair and the wedding photos starting for my mom to sew it back together.

Right now however it''s in a big fat ball on the floor behind the bedroom door

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/14/2005 11:03:14 PM
Author: ame
We hung mine over a door at my parents and somewhere between me doing it, my sister messing with it and my dad being in there,one of us tore the hell out of it and luckily we had 2 hours between hair and the wedding photos starting for my mom to sew it back together.

Right now however it''s in a big fat ball on the floor behind the bedroom door

Ame thats terrible! talk about stress! But it looked great in your pictures so you did a great job of fixing it!

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
23.gif
Reading the first post gave me the worst scare!! I picked up my mantilla in March and it had been sitting in the PLASTIC bag it came in until I read this yesterday. I ran to the closet, pulled it out and inspected every inch of it for yellowing. I didn't see any so I wrapped it in tissue and am now storing it in a gift box.
I'm sooo glad nothing happened during the 5 months it was sitting against plastic or I would have caused a ruckus at the bridal store for not informing me.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 7:31:41 PM
Author: LollyBear
23.gif
Reading the first post gave me the worst scare!! I picked up my mantilla in March and it had been sitting in the PLASTIC bag it came in until I read this yesterday. I ran to the closet, pulled it out and inspected every inch of it for yellowing. I didn't see any so I wrapped it in tissue and am now storing it in a gift box.

I'm sooo glad nothing happened during the 5 months it was sitting against plastic or I would have caused a ruckus at the bridal store for not informing me.

Lolly whew! I have also read that you shouldnt store your wedding dress in a plastic bag either because it emits gases that can yellow the dress over time, same with the veil.

What are you girls storing your dresses in? I was storing mine in the plastic garment bag until I read about the veil and then it said that about the dress too! Is it ok to store it short term until the wedding (2 months away)?

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my dress from David's Bridal and they sold me a dress bag which was pretty cheap at $10 (assume it's plastic). I've since taken my dress back for fitting (only needed bustling) and they will clean & store my dress (in same bag) until 5 days prior to the wedding.
If my mantilla was okay for 5 months, I guess the dress will be ok for a few weeks even if the bag is plastic as I've assumed. I had planned to preserve my dress through DB since they offer a nice discount, but if they failed to warn me of this storage risk, I'm not sure if I can trust them with the long term care of such a sentimental garment
40.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Long term, you have it cleaned I think and put in a special box. Mine is still there, 15 years later! Have not opened it so I do not know the condition but I know this is the standard was to store. Plastic can yellow the dress over time, so I think that is why they use cardboard. No idea why I am saving it, I have sons and who knows if my dil to be would be intersted in it? Though it may be so old it is in style again!!!

Beth

Shiny_Rock
On a side note, You can have your boquet preserved too. I had mine and a bridesmaids done - pressed and framed in oval guilded antiquish frames with material from the bridesmaid's dresses behind them for the background. They are in my dining room now. My sister also had hers done and I had mine done from her wedding. I love them. If you are sentimental like me you may want to consider that too!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine is "preserved" in the vase I left it in while on my honeymoon. hehe. Its good lookin for bein dead.

I need to take my gown in. I am too scared of that because of so many horror stories where there were BURNS in the dress, it wasn''t their dress, it wasn''t their headpiece in their box....and folks never getting theirs back at all because they were "lost".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results