shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the best part of your job?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Being really good at what I do. And I love my coworkers.

But really, the bestest part is feeling lucky every single day I go in to work. I am far more blessed than many many people out there, and now I am grateful for it.

mcmfemme

Rough_Rock
I'm a newbie posting but have lurked for a while, so hello everyone first and foremost!
I work nursing at a hospice and I'm very grateful for my position there, not only am I so honoured by the trust I'm given but I am incredibly humbled by my patients.
People ask me if it's depressing and I assure them it's not, we do get attached and take it hard when we loose people, but we also share a lot of laughs and stories with our patients, I consider them amongst my life's biggest blessings, they teach me so much...

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only good thing about my job is I get to work at home...other then that I dislike my job.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
The best thing about my job is the look on a child's face when they finally "get it", and have learned something new and are so proud of themselves. It makes me melt inside!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I hate my job. My boss is horrible (think "the devil wears prada" x 20000) and I work 14 hour days and most weekends. I also have a moral issue with a lot of the work I have to do (or rather, I have a problem with helping greedy people step on anything or anyone to get rich).
The best part of my job is that I'm gaining experience in order to be really good at what I ultimately want to do.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I love the feeling of accomplishment after getting something finished. At my last job I was more of a project manager - I spent all of my time going to meetings, setting up meetings, calling people, etc to make sure everything got done. Now I actually *do* things and it's so much better!

I also love the people. I work with a bunch of engineers just like me and it's so easy to get along with almost everybody. They're a lot of fun.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
The best part of my job is that I am an independent contractor and work only 3 months out of the year and make about a year's salary in those 3 months.

This is for a company I used to work for, then they had a change in management. I got laid off, no one else knew how to perform my job, they fired staff, hired other people, yet still could not do the job. They wanted to rehire me as a part time employee, but then I knew that I would have trained someone else/documented my job and I would have been laid off/fired again so that they could hire someone to work for cheaper wages. Let's just say that by using me I have saved the company a ton of money in penalties. I don't expect this to last forever, but am happy while it lasts.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Right now :

Job 1 : Knowing that I am making people really happy in one way or another.

Job 2 : Good food.

Eventually I will be in nursing, and then in the field of nutrition. For me I think helping people will be the best part. I'm seriously considering doing the nutrition/dietitian degree, but holding onto it for when I'm too old to be an ER nurse b/c I think I REALLY want to be an ER nurse. I think.....

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love working with animals and the majority of our clients are brilliant. I work with a great group of people and we're all great friends which also makes it better.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Best part of my job: Friday afternoon 5pm.

GameSeeker

Rough_Rock
My hobby is my work...

I get to meet folks from all around the world...

I'm flown to locations all over the country and the world and get to see places most will never see...

I get to learn about many different industries when working various trade shows...

Most importantly, I'm able to provide for my family...

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
The best part of my job is working a compressed work week of 4 - 10's. I usually work a maximum 28 hours a week but I am still paid my 40 hours and I have a extra day off. What is not to love about that?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1302229278|2890771 said:
I guess you could say I provide a service.
It's totally legal, moral and ethical, :saint: I just don't want to say more for privacy and security.

One person here knows what I do.
Please don't tell even one person in private - you know how that :roll: goes.

I make special people very happy, while achieving enormous gratification myself.

Okay Kenny's career possibilites as follows:
**** Star
FBI agent
Accounting Clerk
PS Moderator

FWIW, you're not the only person on PS who has "security" level jobs. Lame cop-out. Oh, one of the gals at a PS GTG said she recognized you as a sales clerk in a Norstrom shoe dept. hahaha :)

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Currently I work in a bookstore (For two more weeks - then more school - Yay!)

I love finding the exact book my customer was looking for - even if I have to phone around to other stores, or go to the back room to get it. Seeing their eyes light up when I hand it to them is priceless.

I also like figuring our what book the customer is looking for when they can't give me an author of title, and have only the vaguest notions of what the book is about.

Kenny: I always thought you were an insurance actuary or in funeral services, because I know that you can't wear your diamonds to work. Now I'm sure that you're the guy who drives around and hands out the giant checks to reader's diget and publisher's clearing house grand prize winners ;-)

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1302229278|2890771 said:
I guess you could say I provide a service.
It's totally legal, moral and ethical, :saint: I just don't want to say more for privacy and security.

One person here knows what I do.
Please don't tell even one person in private - you know how that :roll: goes.

I make special people very happy, while achieving enormous gratification myself.

just to remind you, you long ago posted your profession and the type of equipment you used. i suspect there are many here who know what you do. i don't think you revealed your employer or what you made or worked on. i don't blame anyone for wanting to maintain privacy, so just saying....maybe not bring those things up or try to get the info deleted.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1302211496|2890506 said:
For me it is making people happy.

Today when I got finished my client was absolutely beside herself with joy.
She was giggling, and so grateful.
She said it's been years and years since she felt that way.

To me this is worth more than the pay, which ain't too shabby.
I love what I do so much that I'd do it for free, if I didn't have FCDs to buy. :cheeky:

What do you like most about your job?

Is your job giving women orgasms?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
charbie|1302232327|2890821 said:
I love that I work with sick and elderly people who people toss away in our society. Im proud of myself whenever I tell people I work in a nursing home and hear them respond, "ewww. I could never do that! They smell and are so sad! Isn't it depressing??"
what's depressing is that people are so disrepecful of our elderly.

I like that I get to make the end of life just as important as the beginning. I provide an ear and a shoulder for peole making the hardest decisions of their lives.

I loved this, Charbie.

The best part of my job is my coworkers. And my clients are pretty good, too, which is always a pleasant surprise :)

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1302214638|2890548 said:
Kenny - do you have a profession?

FTFY

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
When i was in the jewelry trade i enjoyed going to work every day knowing i got to be part of someones special occasion...their engagement,baby birth,anniversary or promotion etc.When i worked in estate jewelry, i helped them through the rough times when they sold their jewelry for medical expenses, a divorce or the loss of a loved one who loved their jewelry collection .Ive been invited to weddings,funerals,baby blessings and once stood in the wedding party line when the best man didn't show up.Ive been asked several times by family's to mediate disputes in the distribution of jewelry after a family member dies or to clean jewelry before a funeral service or wedding.I love it when im at the grocery store or at a movie theater and a person walks up and asks if i remember selling them their engagement rings a decade ago, and i can remember the carat weight,color and clarity of their center stone or their ring size.I really miss the trade and those experiences.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kama_s|1302291405|2891359 said:

FTFY

Can we cool it with the Kenny bashing please?

It was suggested I catch a lot of crap here because of the high value of my purchases. (The green monster)
I disagreed, but this post makes me wonder if there may be some truth to that.

BTW, the only thing my parents left me when they died was a phone bill.
Not that that matters.
I endeavor to afford the same respect to the adult who was a trust fund baby as I do to the self-made person.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1302299323|2891485 said:

FTFY

It was suggested I catch a lot of crap here because of the high value of my purchases. (The green monster)

Not that that matters.
I endeavor to afford the same respect to the adult who was a trust fund baby as I do to the self-made person.

Are you talking about your Octavia? That's the only piece of yours I've seen on PS. And while it's a pretty stone, I got me a damn fine stone myself. So nope, no jealousy. Wait, let me check again. Nope. Nothing.

I cracked a joke, you need to be able to take humour better.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I basically do what I want when I want. Other than 4-7 hours per week when I must teach and/or hold office hours, the rest is up to me. Summers "off". No one single boss, really.

Those are the selfish reasons.

I also enjoy teaching a lot, forming relationships with students is quite rewarding.

ETA And now Circe reminded me that I also love publishing. Partly seeing my name in print and partly because I see the it as the culmination of an, ultimately, creative act. From inception to publication takes years, most of the time. I get a big sense of satisfaction out of seeing that process completed.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I love that I work with sick and elderly people who people toss away in our society. Im proud of myself whenever I tell people I work in a nursing home and hear them respond, "ewww. I could never do that! They smell and are so sad! Isn't it depressing??"

I like that I get to make the end of life just as important as the beginning. I provide an ear and a shoulder for peole making the hardest decisions of their lives.

Charbie, you are awesome. The phrase you typed hit home: "like that I get to make the end of life just as important as the beginning". That is beautiful... one day we'll get there... I hope to be in the company of a person that is like you when the time comes...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

FTFY

Not that that matters.

Kenny - just b/c I asked what you do doesn't mean my secret motive was to mock your jewelry purchases. Get over THAT. God, this is a thread on professions *that you started*! I find what a person does for a living and how their personality fits that stereotype interesting. Why can't questions about your profession be related to that rather than your diamonds?

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1302308697|2891600 said:

FTFY

Not that that matters.

Kenny - just b/c I asked what you do doesn't mean my secret motive was to mock your jewelry purchases. Get over THAT. God, this is a thread on professions *that you started*! I find what a person does for a living and how their personality fits that stereotype interesting. Why can't questions about your profession be related to that rather than your diamonds?

MC: To be fair, I think Kenny is upset about the altered comment. I changed your wording, as a joke to tease Kenny for making us all guess about his profession!

Not sure where jealousy fits in. Eh.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Amethyste|1302304156|2891545 said:

Charbie, you are awesome. The phrase you typed hit home: "like that I get to make the end of life just as important as the beginning". That is beautiful... one day we'll get there... I hope to be in the company of a person that is like you when the time comes...

Thank you, both Ame and NEL. I really do feel lucky that I have this skill and I enjoy it.
There also is a saying surrounding elderly care..."a sunset is just as beautiful as a sunrise."

And :wavey: welcome mcmfemme! We have some common threads in our careers...and I love the work of hospice nurses...it is rewarding in its own way, and I am a HUGE hopice advocate. People don't realize hospice has so many benefits and doesn't need to just be implemented in the last 5 days before death.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
kama_s|1302309749|2891613 said:
MC|1302308697|2891600 said:

FTFY

Not that that matters.

MC: To be fair, I think Kenny is upset about the altered comment. I changed your wording, as a joke to tease Kenny for making us all guess about his profession!

Not sure where jealousy fits in. Eh.

Okay, I missed whatever was said because I went shopping (lol)! Not sure what the acronym means.

That aside, I'm reading an Ayn Rand book right now. Just finished We the Living, then started Atlas Shrugged, but decided that it's too long for me! lol Just picked up Anthem today. :) Need to find a good quote for my sig. line.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC: Compare what you said on Page 1 to the one quoted above.

FTFY = Fixed That For You.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seeing our Marines, Sailors, and family members gathered around when they come home from war.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Unjamming/fixing the printer/copy machines. No clue why but I love doing it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results