shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s in your China Cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently inherited one, but I don't have any China!!!

Any good alternative uses for a China cabinet?

Thanks!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
is it the kind with doors underneath? We have one like that, with glass doors on top and solid wood doors underneath. I use the bottom for storage of items I don''t want displayed. I use the top to display our fine china which I inherited. It''s also a great place to display valuable, decorative items which you don''t want out all the time. Figurines, that sort of thing, or crystal if you have any.
If you don''t have anything valuable and you have the glass doors, you could always go to the store and buy a set of china to display. Not expensive china, but pretty stuff. I''ve seen some cheap sets out there which are actually quite beautiful.
this is my everyday china so it''s not displayed, but it''s cheap and honestly, it''s quite nice (I like the earthenware look)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8456897 I know walmart isn''t popular on this board, but they actually have some inexpensive, nice dishes.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
We actually just moved an antique cabinet into the dining area... its not really supposed to be a china cabinet but its perfect for the job. We don''t have any actual china (my mom is giving me her sets when we get a house) so I just put my fancy dishes in it. We have 2 rows of teacups/saucers and tea pots. One row of lion head soup bowls with salad plates underneath. The bottom row is filled with antique linens from DH''s grandmother. All of the dishes in the cabinet are white or blue & white so it looks really nice.

Depending on the style and size, you could also use it to store books. Maybe cover the glass on the doors and use it as a cupboard or just general storage... I''ve seen that done before but it definitely depends on what exactly it looks like.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 12:33:47 PM
Author:Loves Vintage
I recently inherited one, but I don''t have any China!!!

Any good alternative uses for a China cabinet?

Thanks!

We use ours for wine/hard alcohol storage and wine/beer glassware storage. The top shelf holds my cookbooks and recipe box. In the cabinet beneath the shelves I keep ice beverage goblets I inherited from my grandmother and my table linens (napkins, napkin rings, placemats).

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Do you own any collectables? You could use the cabinet as storage...

Or, invest a bit of money and buy really pretty plain white dishes. You can pick up a set at Target for cheap. You also get a pretty cake plate, butter dish, gravy bowl, ect...

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My cabinet is really small and just holds china.

My parents'' china cabinet is pretty crazy though - it holds all of their wedding china and silver, a bunch of Spanish goblets, the pottery/ceramics that I made as a child, my mom''s Lladros, a vase or two... the drawers hold old cards, and the bottom part holds all sorts of serving trays, a punch bowl..stuff that is used very, very rarely but would take up place in the cabinets.

Big ditto to Italia''s suggestion - Target and BBB both offer plain white dishes that would look really classy - and both places/several department stores have plain white china complete sets for $200 or less. Wouldn''t be a bad investment.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
My mother in law has one and uses it to display artwork, figurines, little tidbits from trips they''ve taken. She calls it her "memory cabinet" rather than her china cabinet.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
We have a small built in hutch that is full of china, candles, glasses, menorahs, etc. The drawers underneath are for linens, placemats, and random house odds and ends.

I inherited a china cabinet, about 8'' long and 8''high with four levels for displaying plates...well it is full of books. The bottom is closed shelving full of bedding and winter coats during the summer. But we crammed books even on the top of the cabinet, so that gives us almost 40ft of bookshelves, just a wonderful space for that, it no longer even looks like a china cabinet/hutch because of the books.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wellllll,, actually a lot of dust!

Besides that, some Royal Doulton china that gets used once or twice a year and the wine glasses that are almost worn out. Need to use the dishes more and the crystal less!
2.gif
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results