shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Tonight we''re hosting a cocktail party so I''ll be enjoying veggies and pita with dill dip and hummus, I may also have to try the mac and cheese DH is attempting.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2010 2:38:30 PM
Author: Aloros
DH and I have been eating out of our garden. We'll probably pull up some bok choy tonight, stir fry it, and eat it with rice and fried quail eggs (we keep a hutch of quails - they each lay 1 egg/day!).

I can't wait until our broccoli is ready.
18.gif
Wow!! Sounds wonderful! There is nothing better than food you've grown yourself, IMO. You must live somewhere very warm! I love bok choy, have never grown my own, and don't think I could where we are right now. We have filtered sunlight, at best, and I refuse to cut down any trees! We want to try a small garden on our deck this spring because it is the only area that gets direct, unfiltered sunlight, but I do not have high hopes.

I'm intrigued by the quail! How many do you keep? I'd love to see pics if you have them. How long have you had them?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going out tonight with my friends so not sure what dinner will be but I''m sure it won''t be healthy.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
BF is going to try Ratatouille. There are some decent looking veggies at the store and we''re trying to bring summer sooner.
Any suggestions? We salt the eggplant first to hold texture. He likes to cook each veggie separately with it''s own spice.

Zucchini + Thyme
Tomato + Basil
Onions/Peppers + Garlic
Eggplant + GINGER

hamburger helper.

Unless I get depressed later, then it might be fatty noodles....
11.gif
8.gif
7.gif
4.gif
2.gif

I''m having a terrible day. I''m drinking a NON DIET Wild Cherry Pepsi right now and... it''s great.
4.gif

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 8:15:37 PM
Author: Haven
I'm making this tomato sauce for the first time tonight. I've seen the recipe pop up on so many food blogs that I decided I had to try it.

I'm serving it on gemelli pasta, with a loaf of thick crusty bread on the side. I'm also serving some edamame before dinner for protein. I know it doesn't really 'go' with the pasta, but I'm out of ideas for a good protein side.

The sauce is soooo simple, so if it's good I'm sure I'll be making it a lot. My current tomato sauce recipe calls for far more ingredients.
Haven- Thank you so much for posting that link! I am officially obsessed with the smitten kitchen! I went out yesterday morning and bought ingrediants for five different recipes! I made the oatmeal raisin cookie recipe last night (adding a pinch of ground cloves and nutmeg) and they are the BEST oatmeal raisin cookies ever!

ETA: Tonight I'm making chicken casear salad (from the SK blog- haha!) and maybe baked mac n' cheese for the kiddos!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 1:51:33 PM
Author: february2003bride
Haven- Thank you so much for posting that link! I am officially obsessed with the smitten kitchen! I went out yesterday morning and bought ingrediants for five different recipes! I made the oatmeal raisin cookie recipe last night (adding a pinch of ground cloves and nutmeg) and they are the BEST oatmeal raisin cookies ever!

ETA: Tonight I''m making chicken casear salad (from the SK blog- haha!) and maybe baked mac n'' cheese for the kiddos!
Yay, I''m glad someone else found SK
1.gif
I love her recipes and I love having someone''s honest opinion on how well something came together.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 2:01:57 PM
Author: elrohwen

Date: 2/5/2010 1:51:33 PM
Author: february2003bride

ETA: Tonight I''m making chicken casear salad (from the SK blog- haha!) and maybe baked mac n'' cheese for the kiddos!
Yay, I''m glad someone else found SK
1.gif
I love her recipes and I love having someone''s honest opinion on how well something came together.
Elrohwen- I just put in the oven the ''easiest baked mac n'' cheese'' and I''m starting to brine chicken for the chicken caesar salad now!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2010 5:39:12 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
Date: 2/4/2010 2:51:59 PM

Author: Maisie

Its my daughter''s birthday tomorrow so I made her Lemon Pasta and an Orange Chocolate Chunk Cake. It was delicious!

Happy birthday to your daughter, Maisie! Dinner sounds yummy!

Thank you Zoe!

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Pulled pork I''ve been cooking in the slow cooker for 8 hours... it''ll be served at 10 hours. YUM!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
spinach lasagna with homemade sauce, salad, garlic bread...YUM!!! (and I made two extra lasagnas one that we are taking over tonight to a friend who just had a baby this week and one for our freezer:)

DH made meatballs to go on the side for him.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I found some ribs from the pig we bought a while back in the freezer and we''re braising them with apple cider. I hope they turn out okay. I''m also baking sweet potato fries. I have trouble getting them to crisp up, but did a little googling and hope maybe I''ll be successful this time. I spiced them with my chipotle seasoning mix I make. Sweet and spicy. I really hope they come out okay.

DH is making his Texas chili for Super Bowl tomorrow. I''m really looking forward to that!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beef stew.
18.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Crispy mongolian beef with scallion ginger soy sauce over brown rice.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2010 7:01:04 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678
Crispy mongolian beef with scallion ginger soy sauce over brown rice.
Ohh that sounds divine!

I''m making Indian chicken curry. Yum.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 11:48:49 AM
Author: Starset Princess

Date: 2/2/2010 8:19:38 PM
Author: Arcadian
baked chicken and brussel sprout casserole.

-A
Now THAT sounds good. Mind sharing?

I''ve been on an eat every two hours regime for the last four weeks so I guess you could say 100 calorie popcorn and a babybel.
When I get together with BF on the weekends I like to make ''real'' dinners and chicken with brussel sprouts (me favorite!) sounds great!
I''m a weird sort of cook in that I will eyeball measuremnts. its the way I was taught (and I''ve been cooking since I was a wee tyke!) What I can do is tell you how I cook it...lol.

-A

We have brussel sprouts at least 1-2 times a week, and I got sick of roasting them all the time.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Pasta with lobster
18.gif

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
Philly cheese steak, fries and made from scratch apple pie

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Its tuna casserole for us! I know its not everyone''s cup of tea but I''ve been craving it lately
18.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Crap me do down Superbowl type food--Pizza Hut, Wings and nachos! I can handle it about once a year....
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Making braised lamb shank tonight!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 4:05:46 PM
Author: kama_s
Making braised lamb shank tonight!

I sure hope your family appreciates having someone make braised lamb for them! Isn''t that notoriously tricky?

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
I see some of you mentioned that fabulous tomato sauce recipe from Smitten Kitchen. BF and I loved it! We loved how much flavor the sauce had while being soooo easy and simple to make. We did add a few cloves of garlic though(we loooove garlic.)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tonight is Spaghetti Bolognese with fresh parmesan cheese and garlic focaccia bread.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 5:06:43 PM
Author: bee*
Tonight is Spaghetti Bolognese with fresh parmesan cheese and garlic focaccia bread.
Yummm, that''s one of my favorite meals!!!
18.gif

We went out for lunch and to the movies, so having chicken noodle soup from this little italian market that makes it fresh every day...

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 6:50:00 PM
Author: April20
I found some ribs from the pig we bought a while back in the freezer and we''re braising them with apple cider. I hope they turn out okay. I''m also baking sweet potato fries. I have trouble getting them to crisp up, but did a little googling and hope maybe I''ll be successful this time. I spiced them with my chipotle seasoning mix I make. Sweet and spicy. I really hope they come out okay.

DH is making his Texas chili for Super Bowl tomorrow. I''m really looking forward to that!

April: How''d the fries turn out? If they were yummy, I''d love for you to share your baking technique for ''em
1.gif
Thanks!!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 5:18:21 PM
Author: PilsnPinkysMom

Date: 2/6/2010 6:50:00 PM
Author: April20

April: How''d the fries turn out? If they were yummy, I''d love for you to share your baking technique for ''em
1.gif
Thanks!!
Surprising decent actually!

I cut the sweet potatoes into slices maybe 1/4" thick and 1/2" wide, give or take. Soaked them in cold, cold water.

I mixed up 2 T corn starch, 1 tsp chipotle chili powder, 1 tsp onion power, 1 tsp garlic powder and 2 T dark brown sugar. Drained potatoes, patted dry. Added about 1 T oil to them, stirred to coat then mixed with seasoning. This kind of gave them a coating that could crisp up some, helping them out.

I put them on a baking sheet with sides (you could use a jelly roll pan). I greased it with oil and got that hot in the oven before I added the potatoes to it. You have to give them a bunch of room. They give off steam and too close together they get really soggy. I definitely proved this one as I had to use a second pan and got lazy and crowded them. Yeah, soggy. Had to remove some and finish cooking them in batches. Okay, back to what I did. I cooked them at 400 for 7 mins and then flipped them over and cooked them about 8-10 more. You really have to watch them. The thinnest ones will burn to a crispy crisp so quick. I had to throw a few of the thinnest out. Oopsie.

They came out better than any I''ve done thus far. The coating and not crowding them on the pan really, really made a difference.

April20

Ideal_Rock
DH made his Texas chili recipe for Super Bowl tonight. It''s a total meat fest. It''s good though, I took a test bite earlier. He''s got an entire can of chipotle chilis in it along with some chocolate. Yum!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apparently my dinner is beer, doritos, french bread, & diet rootbeer. That''s the last time I let my DH go to the store for food! (Luckily I bought a pork tenderloin roast a few days back and can cook that up!)

Pre-dinner treat: kids are having rootbeer floats. I never buy ice cream so they''re thrilled at the opportunity to endulge.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results